Post-Game Talk: Bison

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Who is legitimately talking about getting rid of Kreider? Seriously, who?
I don't think anyone is actively advocating for it, but any time the conversation turns to cap space, Kreider is a name that will be mentioned due to age, value vs cap hit, and the fact that his NMC ends in the summer. If we need cap space, he's a guy who could be moved. But so too is a guy like Trouba.

There's also always the concern about having Panarin, Kreider and Laf all on the left side. Hopefully the Laf at RW experiment continues to bear fruit and we can make this a non-issue.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't think anyone is actively advocating for it, but any time the conversation turns to cap space, Kreider is a name that will be mentioned due to age, value vs cap hit, and the fact that his NMC ends in the summer. If we need cap space, he's a guy who could be moved. But so too is a guy like Trouba.

There's also always the concern about having Panarin, Kreider and Laf all on the left side. Hopefully the Laf at RW experiment continues to bear fruit and we can make this a non-issue.
It's good to have options I guess. But he's a proven playoff performer and produces at a rate above his contract value in the regular season.

Ahhh thank you!
That's not the list of names I would've expected to see for this stat.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Because of the big, dumb jock stereotype, he used to not get enough credit (it's better now among Rangers fans) for how toolboxy he is.

He's such a clean, tight, heady player that understands how to play to his skills and always do the right thing.

He did take the one penalty but it's not the end of the world if he throws his body, they matched it up, and over large samples, he's actually improved that aspect of his game dramatically.

He's honestly not Wayne Gretzky with the puck on his stick and we've seen countless players who are unable to translate the speed and size.
His vision and passing ability have improved greatly over the 4-5 years, and his stickhandling on breakaways is good enough now where he scores more often than not nowadays when he's in all alone, both are huge improvements

It's good to have options I guess. But he's a proven playoff performer and produces at a rate above his contract value in the regular season.

That's not the list of names I would've expected to see for this stat.
For sure, wins are such a shit stat for goalies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We now not only play with systems but the individual players have been put in a position where they can play to their strengths. Bad habits have been looked at too and taken into account. So yes, hard not to be pleased with this opener.

We played a 1-3-1 in this road game. Hopefully we have more tactical options ready for when the need arises too.
I don’t think we played 1-3-1 until we had a comfortable lead late 2nd.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm happy with a win in October. But Trocheck lead all Rangers forwards in ice time. We're winning a Cup that way? Lafreniere and Kakko still not getting meaningful special teams time.

Detractors will look at TOI and see Laf and Kakko had a lot of PP time. That's because they were on the ice at the end of the game during junk time. During the meaningful times of the game they sat during special teams.

We have been down this road now for how many years. This is not sustainable. You want to win Cups you need to do things correctly. Having Vincent f***ing Trocheck lead your forwards in ice time while your 1 and 2 overall sit is not how you win Cups. Meanwhile in NJ, Hughes scores a PP goal. While having over 4 minutes of TOI on the PP last night. 4 minutes. On the top PP unit. That's how 1 overall picks are given opportunities to lead teams to success. Not by benching them for Vincent f***ing Trocheck. Bedard had 21 minutes TOI and over 4 TOI on the PP the night before. That's how you handle a 1 overall.

We beat Buffalo in October. I'm not going to let that gloss over the same issues that have been going on since the last two coaches and will ultimately cause this team it's failures, as it's done repeatedly.

When we play an actual good team and our 1 and 2 are underdeveloped and Trocheck is leading the way to failure, we know why.

There were some positives to take away from this game. There are negatives, the same exact ones from previous years.
Go piss in someone else’s cereal. Trocheck was used correctly as a defensive matchup last night and he was excellent. Dominated faceoff circle. Time was spread pretty evenly and of importance, second power play got ample ice time (although they weren’t very effective)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just finished on DVR, so much good here. Thrilled for Laffy getting first goal of the season. Congrats to Lavy on win number one, he really seems to have the team buying in. The Chytil line was fantastic as a whole.

Gus really going to be a big positive for Schneider.

It’s strange watching a Rangers team get the majority of the high danger chances, and just overall puck possession.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The impressive thing about Kreider is that he developed his game from just being "big and fast and tries to get home run passes all the time and score with his shot which is hard but he's not a sniper"
Even his game in front of the net isn't necessarily about being so big and strong he can't be moved, he's very smart about the whole thing.

Basically he went from a guy with impressive physical tools to a crafty and smart player who uses excellent positioning and eye-hand coordination to score most of his goals. I feel like it's not terribly common to see a player re-invent themselves as much as he did. Just knowing when to be in front, when to move out, how to keep the defense guessing, and how to find the open spots near the net is impressive.

Anyways, overall solid game. Still feels like they're feeling some things out but "being in control" sounds about right in terms of how the game went. I think just being more aggressive in checking the other team but also supporting each other better led to a lot of those turnovers, and playing more structured certainly does help. I think we're going to hear a lot about "the Rangers just play the trap!" all year long but eh, to me it seemed situational and I'm fine with that. The Rangers were aggressive when they could be, and fell back when necessary. Buffalo is a team that can beat you with talent if you let them and the Rangers didn't let them. The Rangers of last year would have probably tried to get into a track meet.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Go piss in someone else’s cereal. Trocheck was used correctly as a defensive matchup last night and he was excellent. Dominated faceoff circle. Time was spread pretty evenly and of importance, second power play got ample ice time (although they weren’t very effective)

It was good to see PP2 at work. They didn't score but obviously it's a work in progress. For the first time in years there's some meaning and thought behind what they do. They didn't score but they did create. Kakko really should have scored when he was completely open to shoot in the dying seconds but he shot high and wide - a Zib special, but we know Zib will get tuned in as the season goes along, hopefully the same goes for Kakko.

For the first time since they got to the NYR Laffy and Kaapo are free to truly work on their games in game situations. This is invaluable. I don't expect perfection and success every time but it's the path ahead they have be on. A lot of the other kids in their classes have had 2-3 seasons to do exactly that already and obviously results are reflected from that work. Better late than never NYR.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Yup. But it was funny that Okposo complained about the 1-3-1 in the post game interview as the reason for Buffalo's loss.
Need to learn how to dump and chase then.

If anything, the 1-3-1 allowed them to gain some form of momentum. We were dominating them when we were forechecking aggressively.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Need to learn how to dump and chase then.

If anything, the 1-3-1 allowed them to gain some form of momentum. We were dominating them when we were forechecking aggressively.

You'd think so but NYR had more and better chances after they went to the 1-3-1 with the 2nd period actually being the best in that regard (they JUST missed on a few chances.)

Buffalo struggled 5v5 for basically the entire game. Any momentum they had was on the PP where it turned into a blocked shot fest outside of the one crossbar that Skinner hit. Once Kreider scored they pretty much packed it in.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The impressive thing about Kreider is that he developed his game from just being "big and fast and tries to get home run passes all the time and score with his shot which is hard but he's not a sniper"
Even his game in front of the net isn't necessarily about being so big and strong he can't be moved, he's very smart about the whole thing.

Basically he went from a guy with impressive physical tools to a crafty and smart player who uses excellent positioning and eye-hand coordination to score most of his goals. I feel like it's not terribly common to see a player re-invent themselves as much as he did. Just knowing when to be in front, when to move out, how to keep the defense guessing, and how to find the open spots near the net is impressive.

Anyways, overall solid game. Still feels like they're feeling some things out but "being in control" sounds about right in terms of how the game went. I think just being more aggressive in checking the other team but also supporting each other better led to a lot of those turnovers, and playing more structured certainly does help. I think we're going to hear a lot about "the Rangers just play the trap!" all year long but eh, to me it seemed situational and I'm fine with that. The Rangers were aggressive when they could be, and fell back when necessary. Buffalo is a team that can beat you with talent if you let them and the Rangers didn't let them. The Rangers of last year would have probably tried to get into a track meet.
Pretty early on Torts told him to stop trying to be Crosby and to park his fat ass in front of the net and be a Power Forward. CK did not comply and got sent to Hartford. The rest is history.

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean the purpose of the trap or 1-3-1 is to cause a turnover so you get the puck back and go on offense. It's not just a "boring" system by itself (though sucks when your team is trying to break it!), what the team does with the puck once they get it back determines how boring they are IMO.

The Rangers tended to be aggressive offensively, forecheck when it was good to do so, attack the puck carriers in transition in the neutral zone, and fall back in the 1-3-1 when Buffalo had the puck and it made more sense to set it up rather than send 1-2 guys in forechecking who won't be able to do anything

Will definitely be interesting to see how things go when they face the Devils as I think they're one of the more difficult teams to defend through the neutral zone obviously (but it's also absolutely necessary to slow them down)

Looking at the schedule, kinda weird they'll basically head out on a western road trip for half the month to start the season

Pretty early on Torts told him to stop trying to be Crosby and to park his fat ass in front of the net and be a Power Forward. CK did not comply and got sent to Hartford. The rest is history.
I mean, except he also spent a lot of time learning how to be effective in front of the net and not just rely on his size. You watch him play there and he's not just standing there waiting for pucks to bounce off him. He's moving around and giving his teammates different looks at how to get the puck to him or to the net

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
I got the feeling that Pete Lav didn't show us everything in pre-season wrt system. The rest of the league will need a week or two to adjust to what we are doing. And I also feel that we will make adjustments throughout the season...something our previous coaches never did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad