BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea, Brad at GB was talking about it shutting down his PS4 last week, iirc.

I haven't looked into it but I'd assume it can end up bricking a hard drive or corrupting an OS install or something? I know whenever the PS4 doesn't shut down "properly" it goes through the whole disc repair process on next start-up.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yea, Brad at GB was talking about it shutting down his PS4 last week, iirc.

I haven't looked into it but I'd assume it can end up bricking a hard drive or corrupting an OS install or something? I know whenever the PS4 doesn't shut down "properly" it goes through the whole disc repair process on next start-up.
I think Jeff had the same problem as well. I believe Jeff also had issues with the PC version as well.

How this game has had the messiest launch in the same 6 month period that FO76 came out is WILD.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I think Jeff had the same problem as well. I believe Jeff also had issues with the PC version as well.

How this game has had the messiest launch in the same 6 month period that FO76 came out is WILD.
Sad to see former single-player RPG giants release online crap like these two games.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
We still get good single-player RPGs. That isn't where the big money is at but whatever, I'd rather pay 20$ than full price anyway :D

We do, until a big publisher buys the developers out and milks 'em for all their worth. :(

At least we usually get that sweet spot for a few years where the devs get AAA funding and aren't being milked yet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We do, until a big publisher buys the developers out and milks 'em for all their worth. :(

At least we usually get that sweet spot for a few years where the devs get AAA funding and aren't being milked yet.

Bah! Thronebreaker, Divinity 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall (or Hong Kong) etc... There is plenty to have fun with :)

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Bah! Thronebreaker, Divinity 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall (or Hong Kong) etc... There is plenty to have fun with :)

Haven't played the other two, but I do really like Thronebreaker.

I get your point, though. There's plenty out there....I'm just cynical because my favourite studios are dying a slow death. :laugh::(

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
A dying art, it seems.
Online games have more revenue potential, that's what it comes down to. Take a look even at GTA V. GTA Online is a cash cow, they've probably made more with that than the base game. Even Mass Effect 3 made a ton of money with their online mode. It's awful, but eventually I can see AAA Devs phasing out fully SP games, it's pretty much already happening. Heck, you don't even need pay-to-win stuff either. You can even just sell skins and people will spend stupid amounts of money for them. I even sold a Fortnite skin pack that came with my video card for like $60, it's dumb.

Online games have the potential for a continuous flow of revenue. It isn't just put out the game, get the huge influx of pre-orders + the first couple months of purchases and then lower numbers going forward. With online games, as long as your game maintains a certain level of popularity you'll continue to get a stream of revenue from people willing to buy anything and everything you put out for purchase.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Online games have more revenue potential, that's what it comes down to. Take a look even at GTA V. GTA Online is a cash cow, they've probably made more with that than the base game. Even Mass Effect 3 made a ton of money with their online mode. It's awful, but eventually I can see AAA Devs phasing out fully SP games, it's pretty much already happening. Heck, you don't even need pay-to-win stuff either. You can even just sell skins and people will spend stupid amounts of money for them. I even sold a Fortnite skin pack that came with my video card for like $60, it's dumb.

Online games have the potential for a continuous flow of revenue. It isn't just put out the game, get the huge influx of pre-orders + the first couple months of purchases and then lower numbers going forward. With online games, as long as your game maintains a certain level of popularity you'll continue to get a stream of revenue from people willing to buy anything and everything you put out for purchase.

Oh I fully understand why this is happening, and I don't blame companies for wanting to cater to that lucrative market. I could rant about how big publishers are trying to cram too much into a saturated market, but I'll restrain myself. :laugh:

I'm just a little sad that developers who thrive in the traditional games market are being pushed to the online world and not doing a very good job of it (Bethesda/BioWare, most recently).

I think there's easily a market for both types of games, but due to just how lucrative the "live service" segment can be, everything is being pushed that way and the single player experiences are hurting because of it. While there is certainly overlap, I don't think those two markets are the same and, even if they are, variety is the spice of life.

Just a shame, really. But then again, I'm a cranky old man.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Why constantly spend money making several games when you can spend money once and make a game that people treat as a job... that they... pay money to play... after paying to own it

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Why constantly spend money making several games when you can spend money once and make a game that people treat as a job... that they... pay money to play... after paying to own it

It's unfortunately true, except then:

a) If every game is designed to keep you playing, the market for games shrinks just based on player time alone

and

2) These big companies pump out games at the same damn pace anyway, except now they come out as unfinished garbage with "roadmaps"

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's unfortunately true, except then:

a) If every game is designed to keep you playing, the market for games shrinks just based on player time alone

and

2) These big companies pump out games at the same damn pace anyway, except now they come out as unfinished garbage with "roadmaps"
Pretty much. Look at Call of Duty, which comes out yearly with new games and lots of map packs and sees the playerbase happily shell out year on year.

And to both of your points, I for one am astonished that big name publishers push and push and push to try and dominate the market and your wallet with no regard for, well, anything but the money they make.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Pretty much. Look at Call of Duty, which comes out yearly with new games and lots of map packs and sees the playerbase happily shell out year on year.

And to both of your points, I for one am astonished that big name publishers push and push and push to try and dominate the market and your wallet with no regard for, well, anything but the money they make.

It's bizarre to watch them compete with themselves by pumping out live service after live service. It's like they are trying to have their cake (live service revenue) and eat it too (traditional game sales), thereby defeating the purpose of both in way.

I know Jim Sterling is a controversial...well, everything, really...but he did a really interesting piece on competing for gamers' time recently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad