BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Shutting down isn't really a solution, though, is it? I'm not necessarily for or against unionization (also not at all my decision and thus any opinion I might have had is pretty much irrelevant), but the problem remains that developers are being pushed to their limits in a clearly unsustainable development cycle, they suffer, and (the part that directly impacts us as conusmers) the product suffers.

I think the other problem with that idea is EA isn't the only problem in this regard.

Being a developer myself (Not gaming related), I completely understand when an actual burnout happens. This is the case when you're working to meet ambitious unrealistic goals, or your time is being wasted on multiple projects that you're juggling and you have deadlines to manage. Whatever the case is, this kind of pressure sucks on the developers, and not only does it effect the end product, it also effects the health and life of the individuals involved. With that said, crunch does exist and will always be around, the point is to have good management not to let it exceed to that unhealthy territory.

In the case of BioWare, I'm not sure what their company culture or management style was like before signing with EA, but having worked with smaller companies in the past, I can tell you that when employees reach that kind of boiling point, there's usually communication with the management about it, in which if you have a good manager, measures will be taken to change things up for the better. With bigger companies you're like a cog in the machine, can't get the job done? No worries, there are plenty of other developers looking for work.

Signing with a company like EA adds another layer on top when it comes to freedom. Meaning BioWare needs to do what EA wants, there may be a push back here and there, but in the end, you still have someone over your head that is dictating a lot of what's going on in your company.

Sep 19, 2008
I've kept this game installed as I have Origin PRemier but haven't really played it since launch. I heard BAD THINGS about it. Very troubling. Is the game improved or what?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Okay so maybe I'm misreading what that article says, but I feel like EA is doing the exact opposite of what would make the game better - i.e. releasing it when it's actually freaking done.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

"The reality is, it's not just an EA challenge, it's an industry-wide challenge," said Wilson"

Bullshit. Its not a problem for the consumer that we dont want overproduced wallet leeching microtransaction always online crap and the big companiea keep pushing it at us.

Make games people actually want, make them well, and people will play them.

Reactions: JBeast

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Okay so maybe I'm misreading what that article says, but I feel like EA is doing the exact opposite of what would make the game better - i.e. releasing it when it's actually freaking done.
As we all know, EA is trash and won't ever change, but I mean they are a business and I have no problem telling Bioware to release a game which was in development for 5-7 years at the end of a fiscal quarter. It's still the totally wrong aspect to do since the game was another six months away from being playable and semi-enjoyable. They deserve blame since they've pushed to rush so many games out early just so they can add full game in DLCs later, but Bioware still takes a large part of blame.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As we all know, EA is trash and won't ever change, but I mean they are a business and I have no problem telling Bioware to release a game which was in development for 5-7 years at the end of a fiscal quarter. It's still the totally wrong aspect to do since the game was another six months away from being playable and semi-enjoyable. They deserve blame since they've pushed to rush so many games out early just so they can add full game in DLCs later, but Bioware still takes a large part of blame.

I think part of the problem is that "soft launches" of these AAA multiplayer games are the new norm, but the culture of hype and release is really against that format.

EA can't have it both ways. You can't "soft launch" a new game and expect critics (professional or otherwise) to be kind.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Thank god I read this thread. I was just about to buy the game about 5 minutes ago until I said "hmm... let me check out the thread before buying this game" Thank you, fellow gamers on hfboards.

It's sad to see one of my favourite video game companies turn to shit. I played SWkotr numerous times, the last one was about quite a few months ago, Dragon Age 1, and The Mass Effect series at least 15 times on each game except the third one.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Thank god I read this thread. I was just about to buy the game about 5 minutes ago until I said "hmm... let me check out the thread before buying this game" Thank you, fellow gamers on hfboards.

It's sad to see one of my favourite video game companies turn to ****. I played SWkotr numerous times, the last one was about quite a few months ago, Dragon Age 1, and The Mass Effect series at least 15 times on each game except the third one.

It’s yet another pile of crap that EA pushed out the door before it was ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad