OT: Bill Lindsay Responds To Jinx

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I called out Bill Lindsay on twitter last night for the Stamkos Jinx. I just noticed he actually responded to me ;)

bill lindsay ‏@LindsayBHockey 18h18 hours ago

@Mogo89 you can blame me. I can take the heat. Stamkos was bad tonight even though he scored.

Bill is a great guy even tho he has his jinx moments ;)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Ok, Stamkos finished with a goal, even and a couple of shots. Played 16:41. That's bad? Please, that's bad, but the Panthers have been literally dying for more scoring all season long. I like what Billy has to say most of the time and he's not a complete homer, but his analysis of Stammer was incorrect. You can't say that his contribution to the game was bad. Without that goal, then there's no late flurry and a chance to tie the game. He sparked the team who looked dead in the water when it was 4-1. But, I'm wrong, Stamkos played bad and he should probably get scratched for playing so bad.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Billy actually seems to sometimes see what happens on the ice unlike Uncle Drunkie and Goldie

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
these tweets belong in the lounge thread, but nice to see lindsay admitting he jinxed it :laugh:

Jan 19, 2006
I think it's thread worthy.

The moment he said it, I knew Stamkos would score.

The moment Stamkos scored I unleashed a foam puck and a steam of expletives at the TV (and Billy) :laugh:

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
This reminds me of comment Billy made right before a shootout a while back which made me shake my head. He basically said no one can beat Luongo after his epic gazillion round shootout win.
Sure enough, we lost that shootout.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
sounded like potvin was pretty upset too.

didn't he say something like "why don't you take this one billy" after stamkos scored? :laugh:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Jinxes and karma might be silly to some people, but when you play anything type of competitive team sport, or even individual sport, its definitely part of the game. I always had my own thing before we had a basketball or baseball game, and if I missed something, i would go back and do it again from the beginning. Most professional athletes are very superstitious, and have their own weird rituals. I believe in karma, and I believe that what goes around comes around.

And when you play for a team, there are certain things you just never do. I never mentioned a no-hitter the three times our pitcher had a shot at one, and Im sure nobody mentions shutouts or things along those lines, to goalies. That is why I get annoyed at things like what Lindsay said last night, because you just dont do that. I know, it sounds silly, but that is how I am. And its big in sports, just ask Cubs fans, Sox fans, etc. Or go to Fenway, and while their pitcher is pitching a perfect game into the 7th inning, mention a perfect game to the people around you, and see how many explicits are shouted at you.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Billy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Potvin.

Before the season, I would have said you are crazy, but I agree with you now. Potvin talks like we are all a bunch of monkeys, watching hockey for the first time. Im tired of Tal-on and Egblad, or his terrible attempts to say a French-Canadian name. I like that he is a bit of a homer, and that sometimes he does take shots at the Panthers, but I feel like the guy hits the bar way too much before each broadcast.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Before the season, I would have said you are crazy, but I agree with you now. Potvin talks like we are all a bunch of monkeys, watching hockey for the first time. Im tired of Tal-on and Egblad, or his terrible attempts to say a French-Canadian name. I like that he is a bit of a homer, and that sometimes he does take shots at the Panthers, but I feel like the guy hits the bar way too much before each broadcast.

oh come.... OoooBerrrDoh for the win :D

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Agreed. He also does the 'Dad' jokes all the time as well, which just make me roll my eyes.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea

Well, he IS French-Canadian, so i'd say he can speak French just fine

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Aw come on, I love Billy. Its ridiculous to think he had any impact on that goal. In fact, I'd rather have him in the booth with Goldie than Potvin. I feel bad he's stuck out there alone. :cry:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I used to like Potvin in his previous time with the Panthers. Now, he drives me nuts with his mispronunciations, "I'll tell you what"s, and explaining the game to the audience like we're amateurs.

While Billy has his own issues, I'd rather him in the booth now than Potvin. Goldie has more chemistry with him and while his current role makes more sense in between the benches, I feel bad for him being downgraded.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Well hopefully with the Islanders sale, they eventually will get back to Potvin in regards to the role they wanted him for within their organization.

Wander

May 12, 2014
Jinx doesn't exist. Neither does superstition.

Jinx is imaginary, but superstition clearly is a real thing (as in, being superstitious and thus believing in jinxing, karma etc. affects many people's behaviour).

Jinxes and karma might be silly to some people, but when you play anything type of competitive team sport, or even individual sport, its definitely part of the game. I always had my own thing before we had a basketball or baseball game, and if I missed something, i would go back and do it again from the beginning. Most professional athletes are very superstitious, and have their own weird rituals. I believe in karma, and I believe that what goes around comes around.

And when you play for a team, there are certain things you just never do. I never mentioned a no-hitter the three times our pitcher had a shot at one, and Im sure nobody mentions shutouts or things along those lines, to goalies. That is why I get annoyed at things like what Lindsay said last night, because you just dont do that. I know, it sounds silly, but that is how I am. And its big in sports, just ask Cubs fans, Sox fans, etc. Or go to Fenway, and while their pitcher is pitching a perfect game into the 7th inning, mention a perfect game to the people around you, and see how many explicits are shouted at you.

This is a bit obvious, but if you start talking about shutouts to goalies themselves during the game (or of possibility of a no-hitter to the pitcher) it has a direct influence in the real world as it may change the awareness and thought processes going through the player's head. (Which could, mind you, be a negative OR a positive influence depending on the player).

The thing with athlete's rituals is that they also can 'work' in some sense because going through them can be a part of what sets the athlete in the right place mentally. If they have missed their routines, they could feel uncomfortable on some level and that could affect their performance. So nothing magical going on there either, just psychology (and we all DO know that psychology is a huge part of sports).

Superstitions about jinxing when in no direct contact with the person in question, however, do not stand up to scrutiny. I do understand why people feel strongly about jinxing as it is psychologically embedded in human nature, but I think it might be worthwhile to let go of human intuitions in cases where they can be actually proven to be misleading.

When I was reading the game thread, someone mentioned that Billy Lindsay's 'jinxes' are like clockwork. Every time he mentions Lu is on his way to a shutout for example, it's gone. Now, I will account for the possibility that maybe Billy Lindsay is a wizard who can make things happen by saying the opposite thing, but I believe it's much more likely that the "every time" in particular is just a case of false positives.

Let's say Billy Lindsay mentions that Luongo is on his way to a shutout before the 3rd period. To look scientifically at what happens subsequently, you have to consider the related statistics: How often do trailing teams score their 1st goal on the 3rd period, How likely is Luongo to let in a goal in the 3rd period and so on. If you considered these statistics, and started comparing this information with the times Lindsay mentions shutouts vs. the times he doesn't, I predict that you would not see any statistical abnormalities.

Whether you think this post is obvious or condescending, really I just want people to be intellectually honest with with this stuff. Jinxing is testable and has never been proven to be a real thing.

Jan 19, 2006
Jinx is imaginary, but superstition clearly is a real thing (as in, being superstitious and thus believing in jinxing, karma etc. affects many people's behaviour).

This is a bit obvious, but if you start talking about shutouts to goalies themselves during the game (or of possibility of a no-hitter to the pitcher) it has a direct influence in the real world as it may change the awareness and thought processes going through the player's head. (Which could, mind you, be a negative OR a positive influence depending on the player).

The thing with athlete's rituals is that they also can 'work' in some sense because going through them can be a part of what sets the athlete in the right place mentally. If they have missed their routines, they could feel uncomfortable on some level and that could affect their performance. So nothing magical going on there either, just psychology (and we all DO know that psychology is a huge part of sports).

Superstitions about jinxing when in no direct contact with the person in question, however, do not stand up to scrutiny. I do understand why people feel strongly about jinxing as it is psychologically embedded in human nature, but I think it might be worthwhile to let go of human intuitions in cases where they can be actually proven to be misleading.

When I was reading the game thread, someone mentioned that Billy Lindsay's 'jinxes' are like clockwork. Every time he mentions Lu is on his way to a shutout for example, it's gone. Now, I will account for the possibility that maybe Billy Lindsay is a wizard who can make things happen by saying the opposite thing, but I believe it's much more likely that the "every time" in particular is just a case of false positives.

Let's say Billy Lindsay mentions that Luongo is on his way to a shutout before the 3rd period. To look scientifically at what happens subsequently, you have to consider the related statistics: How often do trailing teams score their 1st goal on the 3rd period, How likely is Luongo to let in a goal in the 3rd period and so on. If you considered these statistics, and started comparing this information with the times Lindsay mentions shutouts vs. the times he doesn't, I predict that you would not see any statistical abnormalities.

Whether you think this post is obvious or condescending, really I just want people to be intellectually honest with with this stuff. Jinxing is testable and has never been proven to be a real thing.

After reading this intelligent and well written post, I can only come to one inevitable conclusion.

Billy is a wizard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad