Biggest Bust of the last decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Who do you think is the biggest BUST of the last decade?
my candidates are: Rico Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk, Alex Daigle, Daniel Cleary, Patrik Stefan, Pavel Brendl, Alexandre Volchkov, Jason Bosignore.
And the winner of the biggest bust of the last decade is
::Drum roll please::
Alexandre Daigle!

Rico Fata and Patrik Stefan are bonafide NHL players now. They may be "dissapointments" but they are not busts. Busts aren't bonafide everyday players.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Definitely Volchkov in my book. I believe Hockey News had him #1 that year (though I could be mistaken). I'm surprised a lot of people are mentioning Jason Bonsignore and only a few are saying Steve Kelly. Aren't they basically the same thing?

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
Richard Jackman - he was supposed to come in to the Stars orginization and put up Brian Leetch type numbers but basically threw his life away at one point with his drinking.

He's found a new niche in Toronto, but he'll never develop into what he was supposed to be now.

Jokerit79

Teemu Riihijärvi 12 overall '95. 6'6 giant who could skate a little but was completely useless otherwise.Tried to come to NA a couple of years ago but came back to Finland after failing to make the Sharks AHL team.I think he's out of hockey now..

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
stardog said:
Stojanov was forced to retire because of a horrific car crash and TRIED to resume his career but was unable to for the same reasons.

You might be thinking of Shawn Antoski there. He was the one who had the horrible accident, not Stojanov.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I thought it was Stojanov who was in an accident. I know he never played much after being acquired by the Pens- minors or otherwise.

He's retired for good now.

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Jokerit79 said:
Teemu Riihijärvi 12 overall '95. 6'6 giant who could skate a little but was completely useless otherwise.Tried to come to NA a couple of years ago but came back to Finland after failing to make the Sharks AHL team.I think he's out of hockey now..
What was wrong with his game?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Terry Ryan is a pretty big bust. He was a top 10 pick in 1995 who has 0 points in 8 NHL games and is now languishing in the ECHL. He's not as bad as Volchkov but from a Habs perspective he's definitely the worst in a long line of bad first round picks.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Pamela Anderson? Did you say biggest or nicest?

My wife has a pretty big bust, does she count?

How about Anna Nicole? I mean, sure it is mostly fat but those things are pretty huge.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
jin said:
Was Jason Herter from the Canucks in the last decade?

No, he was drafted in (I think) 1989. I'm surprised he didn't make it, he was better than a few of the Canuck D-men at the time. But Vancouver missed on a LOT of players who went through my home town that they drafted!

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
About Volchhov, as written on the Press Box, we have to remember he played with two other very good hockey players, a situation who have often created confusion for the scouts in the past: *'' Did the Washington scouts misavaluated the role of Jan Bulis ( which they indeed also selected in third round of 1996), a team-mate of Volchkov with Barrie Colts? And what about Daniel Tkaczuk, an other Barrie Colts team-mate, who was the 6th choice overall in 1997 but just played 19 games in NHL until now? ''

Bonsignore has also to be remembered as a bust.

But IMO if we consider the player with the best potential who did not reach what was expected from his potential, Daigle must be the first one on the bust list from the last 10 years.

Aged 16 YO, Daigle had 110 points with Victoriaville. He was the best scorer of his team. His 1.67 points per game at 16 YO is the best ever in CHL history... after Gretzky. These stats are more significant if we consider Daigle did not play with great hockey player with Victoriaville.

After a very good second year with Victo, Daigle scored 20 goals with Ottawa, which was a very good record for a 18 YO kid. He then scored 16 goals the following year in just 47 games, which was still very good for a 19 YO player. At 21 YO, he had 26 goals which was still not bad. Then, he collapsed.

Yes he made a return in NHL. But looking to the history of the NHL first overall choices since 1980, we can just agree that most of them became either NHL franchise player, superstars or excellent player with very few exceptions, like Wick, Lawton or Stefan. Daigle should have been a sure bet. He wasn't. Sadly.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
my candidates are: Rico Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk, Alex Daigle, Daniel Cleary, Patrik Stefan, Pavel Brendl, Alexandre Volchkov, Jason Bosignore.
Alexandre Daigle!

Its no guessing game, Its Daigle in a heart beat. Also Fata is developing and improving.

PK*

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Its no guessing game, Its Daigle in a heart beat. Also Fata is developing and improving.
Even though he was highly touted, I wouldn't consider a guy who had 248 pts in 492 NHL games a bust.

BTW, my choices for the biggest busts are Volchkov and Ryan.

HughJass*

PK said:
Even though he was highly touted, I wouldn't consider a guy who had 248 pts in 492 NHL games a bust.

BTW, my choices for the biggest busts are Volchkov and Ryan.
I dunno. What was expected of this kid was so hight! Yashin was showing Ottawa management that he was the more talented one, and the Senators gave Daigle the bigger contract anyway! The problem with Daigle is this: he really didn't care. I remember watching a game on ESPN2 during his 3rd season ; the guy's heart just was not into playing the game. I still think about the numbers he put up in juniors and cringe. If he wasn't going to be able to play in Pittsburgh with Mario, then that should tell you that he's never going to make it. I'm shocked that he made the Minnesota squad...

"The best playmaker drafted since Wayne Gretzky" my ass.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
WHurricane16 said:
I dunno. What was expected of this kid was so hight! Yashin was showing Ottawa management that he was the more talented one, and the Senators gave Daigle the bigger contract anyway! The problem with Daigle is this: he really didn't care. I remember watching a game on ESPN2 during his 3rd season ; the guy's heart just was not into playing the game. I still think about the numbers he put up in juniors and cringe. If he wasn't going to be able to play in Pittsburgh with Mario, then that should tell you that he's never going to make it. I'm shocked that he made the Minnesota squad...

"The best playmaker drafted since Wayne Gretzky" my ass.
He never got a chance to play with Mario.
Chico never played him in a decent situation and played awesome in Wilkes-Barre. He was nothing short of a leading example for the youngsters.

It was no surprise to me he made the Wild squad and has already more goals than many "top scorers".

chum

Feb 27, 2002
Jozeph_Balej said:
Alek Stojanov wins it for me 7th overall in one of the best draft ever . 7pts in 100 games .... he's now playing in New Mexico

kinda became an enforcer on canucks. but at least we got naslund for him, heh.

oh, btw, he was in a major car accident (after he left canucks, and traded again to some other team i think. too lazy to check hockeydb) and that ended his NHL career.

i'm pretty sure if he didn't get into that car accident he'd continue to be an enforcer in NHL. (not saying that isn't a bust, but he'd play more games)

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
i would say Dave Chyzowski. 2nd overall pick in one of the early 90's drafts, and i don't believe he ever did anything of notice in the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Alexandre Daigle!

My biggest personnal disapointment was Daniel Tkaczuk. That's when I decided I could trust what publications were saying.

Biggest bust IMO is Alex Daigle, followed by Volchkov.

Daigle was a #1 overall. Expectations were super-high for him and he received a shitload of money. His attitude was rotten to the core both on and off the ice which was well known at the time.

On top of that, the Senators passed on one of the most unique defensive specimen to ever play this game. Chris Pronger, when healthy, is one of the most valuable player in the entire NHL, some will say THE most valuable. His accomplishments as a young defenseman are incredible and he is the complete package.

Sure, you can factor in NHL accomplishments only and then Volchkov will win it easily but when you take all things into consideration, Ottawa made one dumb decision that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad