Biggest Bust of the last decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Who do you think is the biggest BUST of the last decade?
my candidates are: Rico Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk, Alex Daigle, Daniel Cleary, Patrik Stefan, Pavel Brendl, Alexandre Volchkov, Jason Bosignore.
And the winner of the biggest bust of the last decade is
::Drum roll please::
Alexandre Daigle!

IkeaMonkey*

Volchkov.
NHL Totals 3 0 0 0 0

Daigle has at least done something and is playing decent now.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
JNRhockeyGURU said:
yeah but expectations also factor in

And as the 4th overall pick in the 96 draft, Volchkov had very high expectations. He didn't come close to living up to them and couldnt even produce in the AHL. And since going to Russia he's played on 3 different teams the past 3 seasons and has failed to produce over in his native country.

Daigle had extremely high expectations, but at least he has made the NHL, and has 252 points in 504 games so far.

and Fata he's definitely the worst one on your list, he's still 23 years old and has become one of the core players for the Pittsburgh Penguins. He just needed a little confidence.

Sticky*

I agree with Vokchov. daigle is at least playing and seems to have earned a roster spot.

And Fata is actually playing quite well, so.......

.......basically your list sucks.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Fata has 8 points (5+3) in 10 games.
I don't think he is considered a bust these days in Pittsburgh.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Craig Hillier , G , 1st rounder ... carrer ECHLer
Nick Stajduhar , D , 16th overall
Stefan Cherneski is a weak one as well .
Alek Stojanov wins it for me 7th overall in one of the best draft ever . 7pts in 100 games .... he's now playing in New Mexico

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
The Bruins had a couple of stinkers in there.

Evgeni Ryabchikov, 0 NHL games played. 3.49GAA in 14 AHL games in 1994-95, 3.50 in 16 ECHL games 95-96, and a miserly 7.83 GAA (!!!) in 7 WPHL games in 97-98. Apparently their scouting consisted of a single tape of one game. Must have been the best game he ever played.

Jon Aitken, 8th overall in '96. But everyone drafted busts that year, so maybe it's not entirely fair..

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
Pavel Brendl was more than a bust for us...So talented but so lazy as well. :shakehead

He didn't even crack the Cane's line up....

IkeaMonkey*

Return of the Vin said:
Jon Aitken, 8th overall in '96. But everyone drafted busts that year, so maybe it's not entirely fair..

It seems the lower you got in that draft it got better....Chara,Parrish,Kvasha,Poti,Letowski,Kaberle,Kubina...

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
You all were too hasty in labeling Fata. He has five goals and three assists, and that's on a line with Ryan Malone and Aleksey Morozov.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Volchkov, I agree.

If you look at Fata's career so far, there is no way you can label him a bust.

I see no reason why Fata can't become a good player in the NHL, but I am not looking to turn this into a post about Fata. I will be making another one, probably in the NHL forum later with my thoughts on Fata...

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
my vote goes to Bonsignore ..as to i belived the hype....volchkov was as big of a bust but somehow i never had much faith in him to begin with

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
HOCKEY_GURU said:
speaking of Bonsignore...wasnt he trying to make a comeback somewhere?
Yeah, he played in the AHL last year with Lowell and Springfield. Before that he was some sort of moto-cross racer.

IkeaMonkey*

HOCKEY_GURU said:
speaking of Bonsignore...wasnt he trying to make a comeback somewhere?

I know he played with Springfield last year. To be honest, I was acctually quite impressed with what I saw.21 points in 37 games, but the numbers dont tell the full truth, he was a physical player around the net and seemed to use his size well.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Jozeph_Balej said:

Cherneski looked like he'd be a decent player until he blew out his knee and was forced to retire. I don't think he deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Even though his stock was already falling when the draft came about, Dan Cleary was at one point labeled the next Gretzky. While he is trying (not successfully yet) to become a serviceable NHLer, he is nowhere near the player he was slated to be at the age of 16 or 17 (sound familiar?)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Jussi said:
Anders Eriksson.

While we are on talking about redwing failures.. might as well toss in Curtis Bowen (22 overall, '92)... Yan Golubovsky (23 overall, '94).... Maxim Kuznetsov (26 overall, '96).....

Also like to add Boyd Devereaux (6th overall in 1996 i believe) has been far away from what was expected of him im sure of, he can barely crack the line-up in detroit, so im guessing on some other team he might be at best a seasoned 4th liner if that (by seasoned i mean playing a lot of games)

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Jozeph_Balej said:
Craig Hillier , G , 1st rounder ... carrer ECHLer
Nick Stajduhar , D , 16th overall
Alek Stojanov wins it for me 7th overall in one of the best draft ever . 7pts in 100 games .... he's now playing in New Mexico

No. Cherneski was forced to retire because of a horrible knee injury so thats way off.
Stojanov was forced to retire because of a horrific car crash and TRIED to resume his career but was unable to for the same reasons.

How about Terry Ryan (8th overall in 95), Brent Bilodeau (17th in 91) or Matt Higgins (18th in 96).

Richard Jackman and Andrei Zyzuin are both players from the 96 draft that never came close to living up to thier potential.

Zultek, Jones, Ward and Homlqvist from 97, although it is still to early to lable these four as busts and Ward has shown some good things this year.

From 95 I'd say either Ryan or Kelley was the biggest bust but Riihijarvi was a poor choice as well.

IMO to be a BUST you have to really never come close to reaching your potential. The guys in the top ten have a much more difficult time when it comes to being "labled a bust" because expectations are so much higher.

Edmonton from 94-97 really didnt use thier first picks very well despite for the most part a real high pick. Yet they did MUCH better with thier other picks so that more than made up for it (Smyth, Laraque, Poti, Pisanai). But the picks of Bonsignore, Kelly,Devereaux and Riesen weren't to good. Heck even Hulbig in 92 was 12th. Thats why its a crap shoot.

Like everyone else my vote goes to Volchok. Though Faloon wasn't a great pick either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad