Confirmed with Link: Big Zad Signs 1 x $3.75M

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I do get a kick out of Treliving continuing the trend of burning 3rds/4ths on rental bottom 3 Dmen

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'm guessing he can get a third back at the deadline if the Flames are sellers so whatever. Flames needed a body and better this way than committing long term to a similar D

Kapteeni

Jul 12, 2021
Helsinki, Finland
We got nothing to lose in this deal.
Sure the deal could be cheaper, but for one year it could even be 4.5 for all I care.

If we are out of the playoff's, just flip him for a pick with retention.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure the deal could be cheaper, but for one year it could even be 4.5 for all I care.

I know this is OT but we don’t often get new posters on this board so I just wanna say welcome to hfflames! Also cool to see we have some euro fans.

Reactions: Fig and Kapteeni

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know this is OT but we don’t often get new posters on this board so I just wanna say welcome to hfflames! Also cool to see we have some euro fans.

There's no one left to run him out of town. Do you want to take the helm here?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I do get a kick out of Treliving continuing the trend of burning 3rds/4ths on rental bottom 3 Dmen

At least this is a full year rental and not deadline garbage. As others have said, if we are not contenders, we could move him at the deadline and recoup a decent draft pick.

Glad he has signed, didn’t go to arbitration and didn’t sign long term. Let’s see how he fits and what he can bring to the team. If he is a good asset, then re-up him for longer.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Glad it's only a 1 year deal he has consistently struggled with consistency (should fit right in) and I'm not sure he is the kind of guy I'd want to commit term to without seeing how he fits in under Sutter.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
My guess is this will end up to be another one of treliving’s gambles that don’t work. Jokipakka, Stone,Hamonic, Fantenberg, Forbort, Gus….

when in doubt, throw a pick at somebody’s failed experiment. It may work one day lol

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

we could use the cap somewhere else instead but Treliving is running out of time,

zadorov value is close to Nil when taking contract into account. Chicago was doing cartwheels when they got a pick for him

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
we could use the cap somewhere else instead but Treliving is running out of time,

zadorov value is close to Nil when taking contract into account. Chicago was doing cartwheels when they got a pick for him

It's a 1 year deal who are you going to sign with the cap space? I don't like Treliving but this deal is fine

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's a 1 year deal who are you going to sign with the cap space? I don't like Treliving but this deal is fine
Nobody right now, all the good players are gone

I am just saying you can use the cap space to upgrade somewhere else. I.e trade for a better but more expensive player.

Kapteeni

Jul 12, 2021
Helsinki, Finland

Well yeah, we could, *cough* Eichel *cough*, but right now, I'd rather pay Zadorov 1x4m than any other UFA on thr market.

EDIT: wording

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well yeah, we could, *cough* Eichel *cough*, but right now, I'd rather pay Zadorov 1x4m than any other UFA on thr market.

EDIT: wording
For sure, he is better than any UFA available

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Nobody right now, all the good players are gone

I am just saying you can use the cap space to upgrade somewhere else. I.e trade for a better but more expensive player.

Who would you go after unfortunately most higher priced players are going to cost more than a 3rd, most will eat up the cap next year and I'd rather hold onto as many of our higher picks that we can.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Who would you go after unfortunately most higher priced players are going to cost more than a 3rd, most will eat up the cap next year and I'd rather hold onto as many of our higher picks that we can.
I don’t know but the privilege of spending a 3rd so you can spend 3.75 M for a bottom pairing dman is not attractive to me

if nothing else is possible then I guess it’s ok but does not excite me at all. Even long term, if he sucks this year, it’s a bad deal. If he plays well, we have to pay 4M+ to keep him. I see no upside to this.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don’t know but the privilege of spending a 3rd so you can spend 3.75 M for a bottom pairing dman is not attractive to me

if nothing else is possible then I guess it’s ok but does not excite me at all. Even long term, if he sucks this year, it’s a bad deal. If he plays well, we have to pay 4M+ to keep him. I see no upside to this.

He is very inconsistent I'm not convinced he will be worth a long term deal but looking at this years roster we don't have much physicallity on the backend and I don't think we would have found a better option in free agency willing to take a 1 year deal. Personally I think trading 3rd or 4th for nhl players is a great move, the average 3rd rounder won't play 82 games in the nhl so I see it as smart asset management. If the dude breaks out I'd gladly give him 4+ million but I see it as a 3rd for D man that can give you 15 - 18 minutes a night and add some physicallity and the plus side is there is no long term commitment. I think your over valuing a 3rd round pick we got a 3rd for like 5 games of Rittich. We get his 3.75 in cap space next year to try and find a long term solution.

I'd love to get Eichel but this isn't going to stop a move like that imo

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He is very inconsistent I'm not convinced he will be worth a long term deal but looking at this years roster we don't have much physicallity on the backend and I don't think we would have found a better option in free agency willing to take a 1 year deal. Personally I think trading 3rd or 4th for nhl players is a great move, the average 3rd rounder won't play 82 games in the nhl so I see it as smart asset management. If the dude breaks out I'd gladly give him 4+ million but I see it as a 3rd for D man that can give you 15 - 18 minutes a night and add some physicallity and the plus side is there is no long term commitment. I think your over valuing a 3rd round pick we got a 3rd for like 5 games of Rittich. We get his 3.75 in cap space next year to try and find a long term solution.

I'd love to get Eichel but this isn't going to stop a move like that imo

Exactly this. If I’m being honest, Zad should in a perfect world replace what Hamonic gave us. He also adds a presence, something no dman on our backend currently has.

I don’t mind the price at all.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad