Confirmed with Link: Big Zad Signs 1 x $3.75M

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Good deal. Likely worth a second at the deadline at worst. Good move by Tre. I think he fits Sutter’s system well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That’s not a good cap hit. 1 year is… potentially fine. Gives me the sense he isn’t gonna be here all that long.

I don’t love the cap hit, it’s not awful (like Holland bad), but it’s not great. 3.5 is probably fair.

I think the 1 year is just to see if there’s a good fit for him here in Calgary. If it is, he will probably be extended if not, he’s likely 1 and done.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don’t love the cap hit, it’s not awful (like Holland bad), but it’s not great. 3.5 is probably fair.

I think the 1 year is just to see if there’s a good fit for him here in Calgary. If it is, he will probably be extended if not, he’s likely 1 and done.

He apparently wanted 5.

He was always getting overpaid unfortunately. At least it’s only a 1 yr commitment.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I think he was probably only willing to sign 1 year as he wants to go UFA. Just a really questionable acquisition overall at this point. We will see how he does I guess, I do like the player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good deal. Likely worth a second at the deadline at worst. Good move by Tre. I think he fits Sutter’s system well.

This is worth noting.
If Calgary's sort of middle/lower of the pack as expected by the deadline, and Valimaki has surpassed Zad, you'd be looking for a nice little return for the guy at the deadline.

Best case scenario, after we acquire Eichel, is that this guy becomes Tunnel of Doom 2.0 for Sutter. We'd gladly kill the penalties, like we did for Robyn, if it means guys don't want to go down his side :laugh:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think signing him long term at a high number would have been far more questionable.

Let's see the fit first. If it doesn't work out this is a player that will easily return what we gave up for him at the deadline.

Going to arbitration to save a potential 250k-500k would have been absolute madness. Keep relationships positive and reassess moving forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he was probably only willing to sign 1 year as he wants to go UFA. Just a really questionable acquisition overall at this point. We will see how he does I guess, I do like the player.

They needed a body.
I'd also much rather pay Zad 3.75 for a single season, than be committed to guys like Ceci, Oleksiak, Hamonic, Poolman or MDZ for multiple years, and in most of those cases, over 3 million per.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
They needed a body.
I'd also much rather pay Zad 3.75 for a single season, than be committed to guys like Ceci, Oleksiak, Hamonic, Poolman or MDZ for multiple years, and in most of those cases, over 3 million per.
While that’s true, none of those guys cost a valuable pick. At least he should be easily movable with retention at the deadline. Might even be able to recoup that 3rd.

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With the ridiculous dmen contract this off season, I think Treliving did a decent job navigating around a potentially nasty contract for Z.

I really do hope he's a good fit, but I don't mind the contract based on not seemingly paying for potential. I'm looking forward to see what Z can do.

While that’s true, none of those guys cost a valuable pick. At least he should be easily movable with retention at the deadline. Might even be able to recoup that 3rd.

Are thirds really more valuable than a year of evaluating to see if a guy like Zadorov really fits in?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Cap hit too high, but better than signing him for $5M per for 4-5 years. Allows to see how he actually plays and fits with the team, and then can be traded at the deadline or extended if thereäs mutual interest

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

That's true.
Wasn't it the Rittich trade pick? In a vacuum Rittich for Zadorov isn't a bad trade.

Also, if things go the way I think things will go their year, I won't be surprised if we have a plethora of draft picks available this upcoming draft :laugh:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't really care about the caphit (within reason) since it's a 1 year deal. Calgarypuck members were talking about an extension around 4x4 when we acquired him and that would have been far more egregious.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Thats just it. A 3rd for a year of a top 4 dman, is okay, especially when we would likely get that pick back or better. I don’t love that cap hit, but it’s about 250 - 500k overpaid which isn’t to bad.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is actually the best possible outcome for the signing but it just adds fuel to the fire that the Flames are going to tear it down completely after this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad