Big Buff - Jolly giant or Killer on skates?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
lol @ Chara being more intimidating because he's tall. He's had 5 fights in the last 3 seasons and two of them he got taken to the ice rather easy by Stoner and Thorburn. Hardly an active fighter. This whole thread is completely ridiculous [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I'm curious to get everyones take on this to see where they stand with Byfuglien's physical play and presence. There's no denying that when he WANTS to be physical he is an absolute force. But this certainly doesn't seem to be his nature. I've heard a lot of people say that the reason Buff doesn't fight more is because other players don't want any part of it, but I don't buy that and feel its because Buff doesn't like engaging other team tough guys (not just enforcers where the 5 min penalty trade off doesnt make sense, but guys like Lucic, Chara etc). You almost NEVER see Buff initiate dropping gloves with bigger players, which would give our team a much needed mental edge, more so than simply 'don't poke the sleeping bear'.

He is very much known for picking on smaller players, so my question is - who is currently the most intimidating Dman in the league, factoring hits, fighting and overall nasty play. Where would you rank Byfuglien?

Buff flattened Gazdic last season. Buff only drops the gloves when he is actually mad or feels a player is taking a cheap shot on a team mate that is out matched.

Buff is also smart enough to know that the risk of breaking a hand or sitting out for 5 minutes does not help the team.

I'd still rank Buff the most intimidating because he's unpredictable when he plans to lay out a guy.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Buff in my mind is actually the perfect enforcer.

He can play hockey at the highest level. He usually chooses not to impose his physical will by fighting (which takes him out of the game for 5) but instead by laying clean devestating body checks.

.....but, if a teammate who is of lesser strength or stature gets picked on or jumped he is the first one to rush to their defense.

It's already been proven that fights don't deter, change momentum or protect so why not have a guy who fights only when he can actually stop physical harm from coming to one of his teammates in the moment instead of fighting to punish another player after the damage has already been done to a teammate.

All this said I still love fighting in hockey... but Buff plays the tough side of his role perfectly IMO

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
.....but, if a teammate who is of lesser strength or stature gets picked on or jumped he is the first one to rush to their defense.

...and given that he's on the ice for 25-30m a game, he's actually AROUND when teammates might need him the most, not sitting on the bench.

I'm actually kind of glad he doesn't throw bombs most of the time: the ragdolling is more funny, and certainly gets the point across without him hurting his hands and putting himself out with an injury.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Question to any guys who are math savvy.. The Winnipeg Free Press did a story a while back on a former Blue Bomber player named Mike Sellars to show the actual force that would require to stop a guy his size from moving forward at a certain speed. I'm wondering what kind of force it would take to stop Buff in motion... he's about 260 lbs and according to a quick google search the average ice hockey player in full stride moves at about 23 mph.

I tried using google to figure it out, but i'm not sure 384 newtons or 1708 lbs of force is accurate. Just curious what the numbers look like and perhaps a comparison to illustrate the force in ways numbers simply cannot.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
There was a short stretch awhile ago where Buff in one week went out of his way to drill Marchand, Ryan Ellis and one other little player whose name escapes me at the moment. I think he does this to see if anyone will stand up to him.

There is so much I love about Buff. Currently i get a real kick out of him standing on top of the puck in a board scramble and then 'whoosh' using his foot to pass it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00