Big Buff - Jolly giant or Killer on skates?

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Calvert? Yakupov? Eberle? Hes gone out of his way to engage these types of guys in the past, and when enforcers come looking for Buff he never responds

Do you have any specific incidents in mind here? I don't recall a single time someone wanted to fight buff.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Big Buff is unique.
Great skill set and very underrated D man.
He hits those who deserve it , he hits hard and at time borderline.
He is entertaining and he is ours for hopefully the full 5
Thanks Chevy great job

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Buff doesn't always pick on smaller players, but when he does, he takes 2 at once just to keep it fair.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm glad he doesn't fight.

Those 7mil hands need to be protected.

I think the idea that it would "give us much needed edge" is actually just straight up ridiculous.

You know what this team actually needs:
To score more goals than their opponent more often.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm curious to get everyones take on this to see where they stand with Byfuglien's physical play and presence. There's no denying that when he WANTS to be physical he is an absolute force. But this certainly doesn't seem to be his nature. I've heard a lot of people say that the reason Buff doesn't fight more is because other players don't want any part of it, but I don't buy that and feel its because Buff doesn't like engaging other team tough guys (not just enforcers where the 5 min penalty trade off doesnt make sense, but guys like Lucic, Chara etc). You almost NEVER see Buff initiate dropping gloves with bigger players, which would give our team a much needed mental edge, more so than simply 'don't poke the sleeping bear'.

He is very much known for picking on smaller players, so my question is - who is currently the most intimidating Dman in the league, factoring hits, fighting and overall nasty play. Where would you rank Byfuglien?
How many in the league are bigger?
What an asinine comment...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
How many in the league are bigger?
What an asinine comment...

One guy only: Zdeno Chara. But one could argue that even Chara would get manhandled by Buff since Buff is a lot heavier and has a lot more body mass compared to Zdeno.

So basically yes, there is no player who could go with Buff without any weight/height/strength handicap.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
One guy only: Zdeno Chara. But one could argue that even Chara would get manhandled by Buff since Buff is a lot heavier and has a lot more body mass compared to Zdeno.

So basically yes, there is no player who could go with Buff without any weight/height/strength handicap.

Yes - but the point is that Chara will hunt guys down and drop the gloves. That is a big fear factor. Buff is known as 'don't poke the bear' (which seems to be our overall team attitude). As a player I would find Chara much more intimidating. Buff rarely gets fighting majors and I think it has more to do with him not willing to fight than his opponents.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm glad he doesn't fight.

Those 7mil hands need to be protected.

I think the idea that it would "give us much needed edge" is actually just straight up ridiculous.

You know what this team actually needs:
To score more goals than their opponent more often.

What about Chara? I don't think Boston fans cringe when he fights I'm sure they appreciate it, especially when hes standing up for a teammate. Considering we're paying him 7 mil I would expect him maybe take in that role from time to time

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
What about Chara? I don't think Boston fans cringe when he fights I'm sure they appreciate it, especially when hes standing up for a teammate. Considering we're paying him 7 mil I would expect him maybe take in that role from time to time

I expect him to put pucks in the opposition net, and to help win games. He does take on an enforcer role from time to time, and when necessary - that's more than enough for me. I'd rather my $7M d-man wasn't sitting in the box for 5 minutes at a time, or going after 4th line scrubs.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yes - but the point is that Chara will hunt guys down and drop the gloves. That is a big fear factor. Buff is known as 'don't poke the bear' (which seems to be our overall team attitude). As a player I would find Chara much more intimidating. Buff rarely gets fighting majors and I think it has more to do with him not willing to fight than his opponents.

Okay sure. Good for you liking Chara over Buff because you value his way of being physical over the way Buff does it. But we don't. Your point is emotional and subjective, our point isn't because you can hardly argue that Buff sitting in the box for 5+ minutes every second game and him being injured for 3 games every 10th game because he hurt his hand would help this team. It doens't make any sense.

You're the first person ever saying other teams don't respect the Jets physicality. Doesn't go with anything any guy inside of the NHL ever said about playing against us. No offense, but I value their sayings a lot more over your opinion based on pretty much nothing.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Heh, nice for all us hockey fanatics to hear what Buff is "known for". Strange, you'd think we might have heard something about it before.

Buff doesn't always pick on smaller players, but when he does, he takes 2 at once just to keep it fair.
Pretty much the only comment that made this thread worth reading.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I can't believe someone still thinks Chara is relevant.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I don't care what Boston fans think. They are fans in for entertainment.

I want wins. That's my subjective opinion. I only care about wins.

I don't care about fights because there is no evidence standing up for a teammate does anything, other than increase risk of injury to the individual.

Just as an FYI, there is a negative relationship with teams that fight more with:
* gate revenue and attendance
* wins (which I think is the true cause of the above point)
* health (ie: teams that fight more tend to have more injuries, but chicken/egg)
* penalty differential

I don't care about Byfuglien taking the role because I think the role serves no purpose.

Fights don't protect. Fights don't deter. Fights don't shift energy.
Fights are entertaining, and I enjoy them, but I enjoy winning *more*.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

You literally just said: Chara is bigger but would lose because Buff is bigger.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
The refs don't allow Buff to fight. Don't believe me?
Watch what he did to Roussel, if you can find it.
When your done that, watch Roussel fight Shea Weber.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Paul Maurice has said previously that people don't appreciate how much Big Buff lets up. We see that a lot in scrums. The refs also jump in on his wrestling matches very early.

I don't think people here appreciate how truly strong he is. Look at how many guys - sometimes two - are holding on for dear life in his videos.

I don't think we've ever seen him really go nuclear. When it happens, call 911.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Paul Maurice has said previously that people don't appreciate how much Big Buff lets up. We see that a lot in scrums. The refs also jump in on his wrestling matches very early.

I don't think people here appreciate how truly strong he is. Look at how many guys - sometimes two - are holding on for dear life in his videos.

This. I've seen Buff knock over some pretty big guys with a swat of one arm, could you imagine what he would do if he directed all that strength at a small guy?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I see the difference between Buff and most of the other big players as:

Chara (for EG): bodybuilder
Buff: powerlifter

Dude is insanely strong.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I see the difference between Buff and most of the other big players as:

Chara (for EG): bodybuilder
Buff: powerlifter

Dude is insanely strong.

Yeah exactly he wouldn't be out of place competing in worlds strongest man at all. That's the type of build he has. He's the type of build that could start doing barbell squats around 200 lbs.

I'm also reminded of a story that has been circulating. Mods feel free to delete but I don't think it's a big deal. Story goes is the Jets were on the road and decided to go swimming. They were horsing around in the pool (who knows how many) and decided to gang up on Buff and encircle him. They couldn't do anything to him. He was throwing them around like rag dolls!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad