Waived: Biega waived

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yep, Merrill's been good. Nothing flashy, but a solid vet on the backend. Plays hard and effective. A "stabilizing force," as the cliche goes.

Could be a good partner for Djoos if Djoos is truly in Detroit's plans (seems like he probably is), but either way I expect Merrill to play every game this season as long as he's healthy.

There was a lot of talk on twitter about Merrill really limiting high danger chances against when he was signed by guys like Prasanth. Looking at the stats now, in both games hes been on the winning end of the high danger corsi battle and especially last game was ahead oft he rest of the D.

It tells me he defends the slot well and clears the crease not allowing rebound chances. It matches the eye test as well

Reactions: jaster

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I've got to imagine that Djoos would supplant Merrill on the powerplay, which would let both of them focus more of their strengths.

Overall I really do think this year's blueline is improved. Still probably one 2nd pair and two 3rd pairs, and still way too slow, but at least it looks more like an NHL defense.

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Staal's play on that Svechnikov goal was Bowey-level defense,
That's actually unfair to Bowey, he was pretty good at winning puck battles and chasing the puck. Unfortunately he chased the puck too much. Bowey level defense is lack of hockey IQ and bad positioning, Staal's issues are lack of speed and effort.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm assuming this is just a paper transaction, actually. I expect Biega to remain with the team for now. Presumably, Djoos won't be ready for a week or two, which lines up pretty nicely with the start of the AHL (assuming GR has some kind of camp during the lead-up to the Feb 5 start date), at which point they'll send Biega down, assuming he doesn't get claimed tomorrow, which.... he won't.
I'm assuming Biega will be on the taxi squad and Cholo gets sent to GR. Biega has nothing to gain by playing in the AHL, whereas Cholo needs ice time.

In any case, I said re-signing Biega to a one way contract was a mistake, but he's probably an ideal taxi squad player.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
The d core isnt great, but it is way better than last years team. Teams havd to apply pressure to get turnovers, last year it just got handed away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad