Beyond the Numbers - How good is the locker room right now?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Most of the statistical metrics show this team is markedly improved from the decade of suck.

Beyond that though, I think this team sincerely likes playing for each other.

We've caught glimpses of it. McDavid says how much they like going out for dinner together as a group. The seeming bromance between Maroon and Kassian. McDavid and Nurse.

But even moreso is that even though certain players may be closer to each other, there doesn't appear to be any cliques. Everyone appears to genuinely like each other, and want to support each other on and off the ice.

Just today in his presser McLellan talks about the "friendly" leadership in the room:

I think this is huge part of why this team has been so much better this year. Winning obviously solves a lot of problems and conflicts, but even if this team was .500 or below I don't think that would change how close they are to each other.

You can see it because they haven't really gone on any extended losing slumps this year. They're there to help each other and as a result they can rebound and recover from losses more quickly.

What do you guys think?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think its improved and a lot of it due to winning. But they did remove 3 players (Schultz, Hall, Yak) that were probably sour in the locker room. Although through no fault of their own, they were failed by previous management but it is what it is. They were removed and guys from winning clubs with fresh attitudes were brought in

Plus you have friggen McDavid, your career when from 0-100 just like that from being able to play with him

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have an unverified theory that Hall was a bit of a social engineer in the locker room and had a clique. Would not be surprised if his absence has helped the team gel together more.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I have an unverified theory that Hall was a bit of a social engineer in the locker room and had a clique. Would not be surprised if his absence has helped the team gel together more.

Not to turn this into a Hall thread but I have a feeling he was a quiet leader in the room and would reach out to players when times were tough. So with complete lack of leadership from other players and with Hall being quiet and only focusing on bringing it on the ice, when times got tough they rarely improved

Now with guys like Lucic/Maroon/Russell etc when times get tough the vets can help out.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think its improved and a lot of it due to winning. But they did remove 3 players (Schultz, Hall, Yak) that were probably sour in the locker room. Although through no fault of their own, they were failed by previous management but it is what it is. They were removed and guys from winning clubs with fresh attitudes were brought in

Plus you have friggen McDavid, your career when from 0-100 just like that from being able to play with him

Yeah, pretty much all of this I agree with. Removing players who were clearly frustrated with the stink of the team, add McJesus, start winning and suddenly it's pretty easy to start liking eachother. That said, I agree that the room seems to be bonding nicely. I just don't think it's any sort of wizardly by management or special mix. Most winning teams are pretty tight.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The locker room seems way better than it ever did in the past and I think it's probably from a combination of things. Shipping out the old, while bringing in new vets was big, but the biggest thing is obviously McDavid. I do think Lucic has been a huge presence off the ice too and his impact there has likely been way bigger than on the ice, but guys like Maroon and Russell probably help out a lot too, along with Hendricks of course.

Overall I just like the mental makeup of the "new" core. Not just McDavid but also Drai and Nurse are character guys. Talbot, Klef and Larsson seem like pretty chill guys too.

But yeah, it is remarkable comparing this team to the team of 13/14, the roster turnover has been insane. The only regulars that are still with the Oilers since then is RNH and Eberle. That's actually absurd if you think about it. In just three years the entire roster except for two players have been changed.

So, honestly, it would be weird if the locker room would still be cancer with all that turnover. Anyway, it's great to hear that they've bonded so well as a group and it bodes well for the future.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I just think he *****ed at players in the locker room after losses. Meant to be constructive criticism but executed poorly.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
1. We don't know the dynamic/culture of the room.

2. Losing is frustrating, and dampens the mood.

3. We don't know the dynamic/culture of the room. It's senseless speculating.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

1. I'm speculating.

2. I acknowledged that.

3. Of course I'm speculating. It's not senseless though. Unless you want a message board devoid of any discussion about anything except for empirical fact. Which would go something like "The Edmonton Oilers are a NHL hockey team located in the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada."

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
I believe you have the causation wrong (you've mentioned it as a possibility). The winning has caused the good mood in the lockeroom or the increase in "friendliness", "happiness", or whatever you want to call it. It's not a coincidence that good teams are always said to have good locker room guys and good leadership while bad teams have the opposite.

Losing is frustrating and puts everyone on edge. 10 years of losing just culminates into an almost depression. The fact that the team is winning allows people to be less stressed, happier, friendlier, and looser.

This is largely the same team. People liked Hall enough (he's a groomsmen in Eberle's wedding), Schultz and RNH seemed to really get along, and even yak had his moments. Not to mention everyone seemed to like Gazdic and he's missing this year.

I don't think any player could be that cancerous as to affect the lockeroom in that massive of a way.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

We as fans don't know 99 percent of what's going on in the sport, from how the organization scouts and how that information is translated to the GM, what conversations are had between various GM's, the direct influence on trades a coach might have, how much a player likes the team he plays on, etc etc.

But these are things we all speculate on and talk about.

What would be the point of a message board if we could only talk about things we know?

Of course it's speculating. That's the fun of using message boards.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I haven't said anything about any previous player.

Sometimes certain combinations of people just click with each other. Not trying to degrade the personalities of Hall et al. Moreso trying to determine if it's "lightning in a bottle", the effect of winning, the contributions of leadership from some of the newer players, or a combination of the above.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I just think he *****ed at players in the locker room after losses. Meant to be constructive criticism but executed poorly.

I could see this too. In addition to the clique vibe I always got from Hall.

But yeh, like one poster has mentioned. It's all just speculation. Just like player development talks.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Well, I've heard good things. Haven't seen it personally, but I'm sure with the price tag, it's pretty swanky inside. Probably one of the nicest facilities in the NHL?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Decades of losing would turn any room into toxic. None of us were in the room to ever find out. I remember Strudwick said during his times as an Oiler, Hall was a reserved type of guy in the room.
Anyways, winning helps a lot. And I'm sure the new additions such as Lucic are helping. Even if Lucic isn't putting up points on the scoreboard, I've heard lots from the players on the team credit him on how vocal he is in there.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We had no cup rings on this team for most of the rebuild. It was a problem.

Respecting and believing in one another is just another thing that has to come together to have a championship team. There are other things though.

I dont think the whole team has to be close friends, but you def need respect for one another. Any team that I have ever been on there is usually a few different groups of tight friends.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I do want to add that coaching and the GM are the most important part of the leadership. Players are buying into that they buy into other players.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
We had no cup rings on this team for most of the rebuild. It was a problem.

Respecting and believing in one another is just another thing that has to come together to have a championship team. There are other things though.

I dont think the whole team has to be close friends, but you def need respect for one another. Any team that I have ever been on there is usually a few different groups of tight friends.

I agree a team doesn't need to be close friends to win but I do believe it's the difference between a great team and a dynasty. The great one always talks about the group of people on the Oilers first when he's asked about how they became so dominant.

Trick is it's not something you can plan for but it is something you can keep together through rough times. In Calgary on the Fan Wrett Warner always talks about the Ference trade as the moment the team fell apart. These athletes are in a war together and become brothers. That bond is something that you can't imagine unless you feel it.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
All i know is that once Eberle, Lucic and RNH start to score consistently the locker room will be a lot better. These 3 pretty much are the As of the team and all are struggling offensively.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
(starwipe to a busy locker room. Players are changing, resting, and exercising. Nuge is stretching in front of a stereo playing 'Reggata de Blanc')

*taylor hall violently kicks the change room door open. Damaging the wall and lock*

Hall; Booooooyah!
Talbot; (looking up from a book of poetry) Jesus. Can you-
Hall; (interupting and Throwing a half empty beer can at Lander) which one of you ******* is ready to spot me?
Nuge; I was about to hit the track.
Hall; (changing the stereo to play twisted sister on repeat) **** that!! Hold my jacket while I do some lunges.
*growling from a nearby locker grows louder until a trapped yakupov bends the door open and charges at taylor hall*

Etc

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
What's the deal with the McDavid & Nurse bromance? Is it strictly from their junior days or is there a deeper connection there? When Nurse scored on that 2 on 1 in the outdoor game in Winnipeg, that celebration between him and Connor was hilarious.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
What's the deal with the McDavid & Nurse bromance? Is it strictly from their junior days or is there a deeper connection there? When Nurse scored on that 2 on 1 in the outdoor game in Winnipeg, that celebration between him and Connor was hilarious.

they both did the BioSteel camp right?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

This one, eh? I think they're good friends. I mean heck, they battled against each other in juniors but they were also on the same World Juniors team as well. But hey, who doesn't love to score from a feed from McCaptain. :naughty:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
All I want to know is where can I see a picture of this impressive fireplace everyone was raving about when the building opened back in September. Want to see a pic of that.

Anyone? McHillman?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I thought the locker room would be better this year after Hall was dealt. There were too many comments made from Chiarelli down to players both current and former that there may have been some kind of problem there. I have to admit though I was still a bit concerned earlier in the year when they were in LA and Principe talked about Lander, Klefbom and Larsson renting bikes for the day. Thought maybe the Swedes had their own clique.

It does look like all of them are playing for each other now and we sure haven't seen that in years here. There has been an "attitude change" whether some want to acknowledge it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad