Olympics: Bettman hints NHL won't play in 2018 and 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Gary Bettman reportedly appeared on the NHL Network/United States today and told the hosts that it would be extremely difficult for the NHL to participate in the 2018 Olympics in Korea and in the 2022 Games in Beijing, China or Almaty, Kazakhstan, whichever is awarded the bid. He reportedly said that while the Games in Salt Lake City and Vancouver were extremely beneficial for the league, the Sochi Games didn't work out that well, especially considering the hardship of shutting down he league for 17 days and having players travel halfway around the world to compete. He also talked about the disadvantage for teams that contributed a lot of players to the Games, in comparison to other teams who basically sat home and rested.

He talked about how "Pyongchang" and Beijing weren't particularly hockey hotbeds, and that the times the games will be broadcast would eliminate all but the most diehard fans. He also talked about his "commitment" to international hockey through the World Cup, which explains the sudden, overnight resurrection of that seemingly dead tournament. He said he would provide more info on the World Cup and NHL decisions on the Olympic Games in the future. For all intent and purposes, sounds like the NHL is out of the Olympic business.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Gary Bettman reportedly appeared on the NHL Network/United States today and told the hosts that it would be extremely difficult for the NHL to participate in the 2018 Olympics in Korea and in the 2022 Games in Beijing, China or Almaty, Kazakhstan, whichever is awarded the bid. He reportedly said that while the Games in Salt Lake City and Vancouver were extremely beneficial for the league, the Sochi Games didn't work out that well, especially considering the hardship of shutting down he league for 17 days and having players travel halfway around the world to compete. He also talked about the disadvantage for teams that contributed a lot of players to the Games, in comparison to other teams who basically sat home and rested.

He talked about how "Pyongchang" and Beijing weren't particularly hockey hotbeds, and that the times the games will be broadcast would eliminate all but the most diehard fans. He also talked about his "commitment" to international hockey through the World Cup, which explains the sudden, overnight resurrection of that seemingly dead tournament. He said he would provide more info on the World Cup and NHL decisions on the Olympic Games in the future. For all intent and purposes, sounds like the NHL is out of the Olympic business.

Wonder if we'll be seeing players want to have international tournament out clauses written into their contracts (if that's allowed per CBA, not sure how much variation there is allowed in the SPC). Basically some sort of rider allowing them to choose whether they'd wish to leave the team to participate in the Olympics... obviously the owners won't want to grant it, but if enough stars want to play... all it takes is one or two big names to get that ball rolling.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Similar was said or posturing was being done in 2011. This is a joint decision between the NHL and NHLPA, and the PA wants to attend. It is all speculation and rumours until the year 2017 when a decision will be made most likely. And I'm not certain what interview you listened to because he also mentioned, ''We haven’t really given it a thought since we left Sochi.'' And they certainly won't until a couple of years when people start thinking about the Olympics again.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Similar was said or posturing was being done in 2011. This is a joint decision between the NHL and NHLPA, and the PA wants to attend. It is all speculation and rumours until the year 2017 when a decision will be made most likely. And I'm not certain what interview you listened to because he also mentioned, ''We haven’t really given it a thought since we left Sochi.'' And they certainly won't until a couple of years when people start thinking about the Olympics again.

Yep pretty much.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Wonder if we'll be seeing players want to have international tournament out clauses written into their contracts (if that's allowed per CBA, not sure how much variation there is allowed in the SPC). Basically some sort of rider allowing them to choose whether they'd wish to leave the team to participate in the Olympics... obviously the owners won't want to grant it, but if enough stars want to play... all it takes is one or two big names to get that ball rolling.

Pretty much zero chance of this happening in my opinion. Unless the NHL is fully committed to going the draw of competing against other countries best players won't be there. It's a nice thought for fans of the NHL participated Olympics, but not realistic I'm afraid. Also I can't see players wanting to miss out on 3 weeks of their salary.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You can check out the video here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32358

He starts discussing the World Cup and the Olympics at 8:06. As interesting as the inferences found in the OP are, Bettman basically says that they haven't really started considering further participation yet, and then lists the same issues that he has been listing since just after the 2010 Olympics.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005

If this was in fact what he said I don't think I have ever heard Gary speak this strongly against participating. In my opinion having Oslo pull out was the final straw and I think it is very unlikely that the NHL will go in 2018 or 2022.
You are right that this is a joint decision in the sense that both the league and the PA have to agree to go to the Olympics. As far as I know under the new cba there is nothing either side can do to force the other.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
You can check out the video here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32358

He starts discussing the World Cup and the Olympics at 8:06. As interesting as the inferences found in the OP are, Bettman basically says that they haven't really started considering further participation yet, and then lists the same issues that he has been listing since just after the 2010 Olympics.

The fact Gary can't pronounce Kazakhstan tells me all I need to know about what he thinks about possibly going there.:yo:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
What I dont understand is how the Vancouver/SLC Olympics were beneficial over the other ones? Americans/Canadians were sitll watching in large numbers, and its not like received money from the IOC in those tourneys.

Anyhow, it does suck the NHL is not supplementing the existing Intl. hockey but attempting to hijack it. I personally think in-season tourneys showcase the sport a lot better, and still wish the NHL was doing its invitational tournament in Feb like the early reports suggested.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What I dont understand is how the Vancouver/SLC Olympics were beneficial over the other ones? Americans/Canadians were sitll watching in large numbers, and its not like received money from the IOC in those tourneys.

I believe the NHL enjoyed the enhanced publicity in the United States (not really necessary in Canada) during those Olympics, because they definitely did get more attention in the media than in 1998, 2006 or 2014. Whether that actually translated into a significant number of new fans or $$$ I don't know.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This is what is wrong with hockey, this kind of decision should not be on one league, this should the international committee decide. In the long run it would be best for hockey if KHl become the biggest league, they dont stand in the way for the international teams.

In football (soccer), all league stops even for friendly games, but for NHL to stop one time every 4 years is a big deal.

However, I dont think we have heard the last word about it. It would be fun with both world cup and olympcis, so we get one of this tournament every second year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

One difference between yesterday and his statements in 2011 is that immediately after returning from Sochi, the NHL began floating a resurrection of the World Cup. That doesn't necessarily reflect a final decision on 2018 and 2022, but he did go to great length to lay down the framework for the withdrawal option. Most telling was the way he spoke so disparagingly about spending the winter in "Pyongchang," or China or Kazakhstan. Maybe he is just negotiating with someone, but he certainly made the case for staying away if that is what they end up doing.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I believe the NHL enjoyed the enhanced publicity in the United States (not really necessary in Canada) during those Olympics, because they definitely did get more attention in the media than in 1998, 2006 or 2014.

Sure did but I might slightly disagree with 2014 solely because NBCSports weren't involved so heavily in 1998 and 2006.

Basically Bettman sold the idea of buying Versus to NBC (definitely lobbied) and then NBC created a separate channel. Major score in getting the NHL into more households in the States.

I was never able to watch the WHC before. Now I don't have to fish for links.

CHargoalie

Aug 17, 2014
This is what is wrong with hockey, this kind of decision should not be on one league, this should the international committee decide. In the long run it would be best for hockey if KHl become the biggest league, they dont stand in the way for the international teams.

In football (soccer), all league stops even for friendly games, but for NHL to stop one time every 4 years is a big deal.

In football, FIFA's attitude towards Olympics is even worse.

If the NHL doesn't want their players in Olympics, fine. But it would be nice to have an international tournament (with the best players) once in a while, more often than every twelve years, preferably.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

How would an international committee decide whether or not the NHL should participate in the Olympics? The NHL and NHLPA are the ones who should be making the decision, and rightfully they will.

Hopefully they choose to go, but there is no way an outside organization should be able to force a business to send it employees off to another continent for a few weeks.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Whatever Bettman says could be also a message for IOC and IIHF for the future negotiation. It may be a hint, but who knows.

I fully understand the reasons why the NHL isn't as much interested. I would rather have both, the olympics and the world cup, but I personally like the WC more, so I'm naturally ok with this situation. I will probably never understand that disapproval from the European fans and even some NA fans, but I just think World Cup, given its history, holds the same importance in the world of ice hockey, as the olympics, if not more.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
How would an international committee decide whether or not the NHL should participate in the Olympics? The NHL and NHLPA are the ones who should be making the decision, and rightfully they will.

Hopefully they choose to go, but there is no way an outside organization should be able to force a business to send it employees off to another continent for a few weeks.

True. The NHL would never allow the IIHF to tell it what to do, nor would the KHL. I believe that the KHL will opt out of the World Cup in favor of the Olympics, but for no reason other than its a better business opportunity for the KHL - not to succumb to any nonexistent leverage on the part of the IIHF or IOC.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Anyhow, it does suck the NHL is not supplementing the existing Intl. hockey but attempting to hijack it. I personally think in-season tourneys showcase the sport a lot better, and still wish the NHL was doing its invitational tournament in Feb like the early reports suggested.

I think the truth is they don't like any of them, but they now are free to phrase it in a way that blames the IOC.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only way I could see the IOC and the IIHF being able to "convince" the NHL to do... well.... whatever... is if they have something tangible to offer.

Doing every damn thing in their power to ruin Oslo's candidacy was certainly not a step in that direction.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

What a hypocritical thing to say by Bettman. Does he NOT know we have Phoenix and Florida (not Tampa) as NHL teams? Those teams are BY FAR not hotbeds for hockey and yet they have a team.

But ohh, once the Olympics roll around, he uses the "these places aren't hotbeds so we won't play there" argument.

Bettman just uses his own agenda to get what he wants. :shakehead

He doesn't really care about growing the game, only about making their own pockets bigger. He doesn't really care about the game in all honesty.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
True. The NHL would never allow the IIHF to tell it what to do, nor would the KHL. I believe that the KHL will opt out of the World Cup in favor of the Olympics, but for no reason other than its a better business opportunity for the KHL - not to succumb to any nonexistent leverage on the part of the IIHF or IOC.

Don't kid yourself, the khl won't have any more viewers because of an NHL less Olympics. The NHL is watched Worldwide and it barely gains anything from an Olympics in terms of new fans. Rephrase it correctly. it's a better opportunity because it's the only way Russia can win in the Olympics. And even that, who in the sporting World would value Olympic Hockey without the NHL? It's probably a number multiplied by 0, the players that will be there certainly don't deserve the honor of being in the Olympics and being called an Olympian. They are not the best of the best which is what the Olympics is. Might as well make it a under 23 like fifa, at least you get the best prospects.

Last edited:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
I think from the NHL owners perspective going 16 or more years without hosting the games in NA is just too much. Even FIFA knows to go back to its base (Europe) every 8 or 12 years. There is not even a guarantee that the 2026 games will be in NA and I can't see the NHL waiting indefinitely for them to come back over here.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Don't kid yourself, the khl won't have any more viewers because of an NHL less Olympics. The NHL is watched Worldwide and it barely gains anything from an Olympics in terms of new fans. Rephrase it correctly. it's a better opportunity because it's the only way Russia can win in the Olympics. And even that, who in the sporting World would value Olympic Hockey without the NHL? It's probably a number multiplied by 0, the players that will be there certainly don't deserve the honor of being in the Olympics and being called an Olympian. They are not the best of the best which is what the Olympics is. Might as well make it a under 23 like fifa, at least you get the best prospects.

Happy to have given you a chance to get a nationalistic rant off your chest! The fact is that a lot of people, especially outside of North America, watch Olympic hockey because it is part of the Olympics, and they have the home colors on their chest, regardless of what league they are from. The KHL isn't interested in capturing a North American audience - it wouldn't really benefit them. Also, the time zones in Europe, which is the locale that the KHL wants to saturate, are much more proximate for TV viewing than NA. If the NHL stays home, which they almost certainly will, the fact is that it will greatly benefit the KHL by osmosis. Yes, Russia probably would win the Olympics under those circumstances, because they have by far the highest number of players in the KHL. But that would only be part of the benefit.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

That is how it is done everywhere else in this world outside canada and usa in pretty much every sport, and it is good for the international stage. The world cup in football would not have been such a big event for instead if havnt been for that.

In my mind the interantional team is the soul in any sport, and it is importent to keep that vibrant and alive and more importent fair and unbiased and if you let one league have to much power all that goes away.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
What a hypocritical thing to say by Bettman. Does he NOT know we have Phoenix and Florida (not Tampa) as NHL teams? Those teams are BY FAR not hotbeds for hockey and yet they have a team.

But ohh, once the Olympics roll around, he uses the "these places aren't hotbeds so we won't play there" argument.

Bettman just uses his own agenda to get what he wants. :shakehead

He doesn't really care about growing the game, only about making their own pockets bigger. He doesn't really care about the game in all honesty.

Yes, and he gets to keep the money from Florida and Tampa, not from Kazakhstan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad