Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner or Petterson/Hughes?

Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner, or Petterson/Hughes?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
When it was announced that players stats from the qualifying series and round robin games would count as playoff stats, was it not said there should be an asterisk if any records got broken.

Yes, some people said that.

A lot of other people said there should be an asterisk alongside the distinction that a team "made the playoffs" if they lost in the qualifying series. I made a poll asking whether or not it would be fair to say a team "missed the playoffs" if they lost in the play-in round and 72% of voters said it would be fair.

I'm just trying to establish a standard so that we can be consistent here. If we have to put an asterisk next to whatever playoff records Pettersson breaks, we need to put an asterisk next to the "accomplishment" of Toronto making the 2020 playoffs as well since they lost the play-in round. What is your standard? Asterisk or no asterisk?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, some people said that.

A lot of other people said there should be an asterisk alongside the distinction that a team "made the playoffs" if they lost in the qualifying series. I made a poll asking whether or not it would be fair to say a team "missed the playoffs" if they lost in the play-in round and 72% of voters said it would be fair.

I'm just trying to establish a standard so that we can be consistent here. If we have to put an asterisk next to whatever playoff records Pettersson breaks, we need to put an asterisk next to the "accomplishment" of Toronto making the 2020 playoffs as well since they lost the play-in round. What is your standard? Asterisk or no asterisk?
The way I feel since Toronto lost to Columbus it's like they missed the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The way I feel since Toronto lost to Columbus it's like they missed the playoffs.

Fair enough.

I personally agree, and I think that the record books should treat the play-in/round robin as regular season. I also believe that there should be an asterisk next to whatever records playoff records Pettersson ends up breaking in this tournament, but those records don't really have any influence on my view of Pettersson as a player or how I'm voting in this poll.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough.

I personally agree, and I think that the record books should treat the play-in/round robin as regular season. I also believe that there should be an asterisk next to whatever records playoff records Pettersson ends up breaking in this tournament, but those records don't really have any influence on my view of Pettersson as a player or how I'm voting in this poll.
Since the round robin games used 3v3 overtime and the shootout I would agree.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
W-wait a minute. Matthews has never even scored more than 80 points.

Why doesn’t this standard apply to him as well?

What are you talking about? Points OR goals can make you elite. 47 goals and 80 points makes Matthews a top-10 talent(the goals is the biggest part of it, and Matthews has 158 already at age 22).

Petterssen hasn't come close to anything like that.

Pay attention. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What are you talking about? Points OR goals can make you elite. 47 goals and 80 points makes Matthews a top-10 talent(the goals is the biggest part of it, and Matthews has 158 already at age 22).

Petterssen hasn't come close to anything like that.

Pay attention. ;)

You didn’t say anything about Pettersson scoring goals in your original post though. You can’t tell people to pay attention to arbitrary parameters when you haven’t even set them yet.

Reactions: Regal

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah I did, Chief. I noted the fact that his "career best" numbers are two 28(27) goal/66 point seasons. Whether it was my 1st or 2nd post......it was there.

PAY ATTENTION. ;)

You said we had to wait until he cracked 90 points. You didn’t say we had to wait until he cracked 90 points or 47 goals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Petterson and Hughes win a playoff series first up, when will Marner and Matthews finally win a playoff series? It's a Fair question to ask.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'll always take the 1C and 1D over the 1C and 1W.

The Blackhawks, for example, lose a lot more through their prime by losing Keith than they do by losing Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad