Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner or Petterson/Hughes?

Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner, or Petterson/Hughes?

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Matthews and Marner AINEC.

They're two top-10 players in the NHL, as opposed to two guys are NOT in the top-10. Easy choice.
I feel like you dont post enough these days. I miss your POV on many of these issues

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
So Dekes for Days might actually, literally be a shill account.

would not surprise me, especially the narrative of how Matthew's contract stacks up better than McDavid & others.
Everyone and their dog knows that the 5 year contract was absolutely one of the worst contracts in the league history.

Not only does it hand cap the team, it's also as player friendly as you can get.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I know the old model placed a lot of weight on losing in the first round. I'd bet there's a new model coming out soon that places more value on losing in the play-in round.
The excuse was always “ya, but those first round losses came to Washington and Boston. Truly a coupe of the top, top teams in the league”.

It’s not like Vancouver beat the Stanley Cup champions or anything like that.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Also........I wonder if that "franchise" Centre Elias Pettersson will ever score more than 66 points in a season? Or 28 goals?

So far, that's what he's done to earn the "I'll take him over the two guys that have actually delivered".

Curious.

He’s never played more than 71 games in a season. As a non rookie he’s never played more than 68 games. He’s already as a 21 year old sophomore, who played his rookie season partly as a teenager and on a train wreck for a team, 4 points shy of being ppg for his career all games included. So that’s some context for your ignorant argument.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He’s never played more than 71 games in a season. As a non rookie he’s never played more than 68 games. He’s already as a 21 year old sophomore, who played his rookie season partly as a teenager and on a train wreck for a team, 4 points shy of being ppg for his career all games included. So that’s some context for your ignorant argument.

MEH.

Y'all can calm down, because he hasn't done anything special YET. Career highs of 28 goals/66 points is just that.....his career high. Lets wait until he cracks 90 points before we proclaim him a top-10 anything, yeah?

LOL. Jesus.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
MEH.

Y'all can calm down, because he hasn't done anything special YET. Career highs of 28 goals/66 points is just that.....his career high. Lets wait until he cracks 90 points before we proclaim him a top-10 anything, yeah?

LOL. Jesus.

So we’re not allowed to call a player a top ten anything unless they’ve cracked 80 points? Seems kind of arbitrary, but okay, you’ve set the standard...

Matthews and Marner AINEC.

They're two top-10 players in the NHL, as opposed to two guys are NOT in the top-10. Easy choice.

W-wait a minute. Matthews has never even scored more than 80 points.

upload_2020-8-23_17-30-5.jpeg

Why doesn’t this standard apply to him as well?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
MEH.

LOL. Jesus.

I do believe Pettersson lost a lot of his game breaking ability cause of the Kotka incident midway through his rookie season (and no it wasn’t like many people claim a sudden raise in attention from 0 t0 100 by opposing teams from before to after that injury), he wasn’t the same player coming back and hadn’t been since. His shot accuracy took a hit as well as his puck handling and balance (I think it all had to do with some kind of balance issue cause of the knee injury that caused a long term insecurity in his previously flawless movements and loss of confidence therefore even after the injury was fully healed). It’s a little bit like Karlsson and his 2013 achilles injury - as long as he tried to play the same way as before he wasn’t very good cause he simply couldn’t do it, but when he decided to simplify his game he could still be elite. Pettersson has adjusted and simplified now, and the fact that he could still be a top 10 player if not now so one day is remarkable, but he doesn’t have that “game breaking” ability anymore in the same way. Karlsson himself said, when everyone else hailed him as the undisputed #1 dman in the world, that he still wasn’t as good as pre achilles, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Pettersson is aware of the same. It’s a shame though cause he was truly a generational talent pre Kotka, the closest to Gretz since Gretz, Gretzky lite sort of.

I wish someone could post his pre Kotka games in their entirety so we could end this discussion once and for all, and get rid of the bs “it’s cause teams (magically) started to pay attention (exactly right after the injury)” arguments.

Elias Pettersson might be the league's MVP, but that's beside the point

“How’s this for a stat: When Canucks super-rookie Elias Pettersson is on the ice this season, his team is plus-32. When he’s off the ice, it’s minus-46.“

Heck he was even as late as January 19 considered as something as unusual as a rookie Hart candidate by many.

Kuzma: Pettersson just turned 20 but he's already a generational talent

The hype train was unreal that fall but it was justified. Anyone who wants to argue, get your hands on those 2018 fall Nucks games, watch them in their entirety and then we’re talking.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Was shocked to see this wasn’t closed for lopsided, even more so after voting and realizing how close it is.

Positionally, picking a center and a defender makes more sense, unless the quality of players is noticeable weaker.

Petterson and Hughes are both better than Marner i think, and Matthews is less versatile so more holes to fix outside of scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad