Better Late Than Never, Thank You Daryl Katz!

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
I still don't give him much credit, it's about 2932 years too late and I doubt any of this happens if we don't win the mcjesus sweepstakes and he realizes he's forced to do something unless he wishes to go down as one of the worst owners in professional sports history.

Glad it all happened, but he still let the tire fire burn too long to be forgiven right away.

Let's all leave his kid alone though... That's just pathetic. We'd all be up there on that stage too if they let us.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I still don't give him much credit, it's about 2932 years too late and I doubt any of this happens if we don't win the mcjesus sweepstakes and he realizes he's forced to do something unless he wishes to go down as one of the worst owners in professional sports history.

Glad it all happened, but he still let the tire fire burn too long to be forgiven right away.

Let's all leave his kid alone though... That's just pathetic. We'd all be up there on that stage too if they let us.
Haring on his kid is stupid. The draft is a fun place for kids to live their dreams and get drafted. Nothing wrong with her having a young kid enjoying a fun day. It's not like the kid is deciding who we draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Haring on his kid is stupid. The draft is a fun place for kids to live their dreams and get drafted. Nothing wrong with her having a young kid enjoying a fun day. It's not like the kid is deciding who we draft.

but the thing is he is not a kid anymore---he is now bigger then the player we are drafting--if he was under 15 I do not realy have a problem with it--but he 18 or nearly 18 and it is not as cure right now.

Katz is facing backlash over the fact some fans (like me and many on this board) think he is treating the team like a toy--it is a business and it lack credibility and respect on how it is being run--the image of this team needs to change and having the now legal age son of the owner running around and pretending he is still a kid

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Not too difficult to guess where this is going to end up.

In the garbage where it should go. It's the friggin' Hollywood Reporter, LOL...garbage.

I agree with Bryanbryoil. Katz should be appreciated for the moves.

Nicholson was hired 10 months ago and the ongoing word was the internal audit was being done. I believe Katz had enough of losing, as well as the bad publicity that came with that. He asked Bob to step in and do whatever was necessary.
I suspect Lowe and MacT were both going to be going anyway but the availability of PB and the lottery win pushed everything to the forefront.

Sure, this should have been done long ago but we should appreciate it being done now and look forward to the future of the team, in a great new arena district with a local owner with deep pockets.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Now this isn't a thread to forgive everything that has been done but many of us felt that Katz would have Lowe and MacT in charge from now until the end of time.

So for actually bringing Nicholson in to do a legit audit and for choosing Chia over MacT I applaud you. I'm not even mad that you kept your long time friend Lowe to work on the business side. But ultimately you transitioned personnel power from Lowe and MacT to Nicholson and Chia and for that I am grateful.

Hopefully this starts the next generation of Oilers hockey and as fans we can grow to respect you as an owner and you can become the owner that we all hoped that you'd be when you bought the team from EIG.

It's good to have this thread. It allows us to express our opinions.

Most of you know that I haven't been as hard on Katz as many others have. I haven't liked much of what has been happening with his organization over the past couple of years, but I think he deserves some positive recognition for the recent turn of events.

I would be on board with the anger if he played this out differently, but he did the right thing.

Win the Draft lotto.
Realize that a gift has just been sent down by the lucky stars.
Get on working the gift in the best possible way, make certain changes to the Organization that would ensure he isn't looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Enter Nicholson and Chiarelli in quick fashion, move the current management away from the hockey end as much as possible.

From there, I think Chiarelli will make some good, decisive moves to further enhance the team with a new experienced coach and whoever else needs to be involved.

Katz isn't a stupid man and he has not become a multibillionaire through luck though.

It's called timing. I think he did well here.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
but the thing is he is not a kid anymore---he is now bigger then the player we are drafting--if he was under 15 I do not realy have a problem with it--but he 18 or nearly 18 and it is not as cure right now.

Katz is facing backlash over the fact some fans (like me and many on this board) think he is treating the team like a toy--it is a business and it lack credibility and respect on how it is being run--the image of this team needs to change and having the now legal age son of the owner running around and pretending he is still a kid

Being the owner's son comes with its privileges. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Katz bringing his boy on stage. If you feel the need to go online and ***** about him wearing a jersey instead of a suit you should probably look for a hobby.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not thanking Katz for anything. Had been profitting for years while fans have asked him to fire the higher ups. Should have done this year's ago.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
His son is not bad I don't mind him, but I absolutely hate his "I'm a billionare" glasses. They are absoluetley horrendous.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Who cares if he brings his kid? That's his right. Anyone who is a good parent would do the exact same thing for their son in his situation.

Darryl himself slowly transitioning into Bono, that's where he needs intervention.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Great owner! We really need to be grateful for this guy standing behind and supporting the team while we pick up all these great kids! Way to many folks want instant success but guess what we would not have even close to the future we have now if we didn't have him! Thanks Daryl

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Katz has clearly made many mistakes during his ownership of the Oilers. In particular he has given far too many managerial positions to unqualified people.

That said it appears that he has learned from his mistakes in the hirings of Nicholson and Chiarelli.

A few other things worth considering

• He has never been afraid to spend to the cap in order to improve the team
  • In purchasing an AHL franchise he has secured the development pipeline for the Oilers
  • The Oil Kings have been very successful under his ownership
  • Rogers Place would not have happened without him
  • He is a noted philanthropist and supports the community

This may be the first time I'm saying this since his arrival but I'm happy that Daryl Katz is the owner of the Edmonton Oilers.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Being the owner's son comes with its privileges. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Katz bringing his boy on stage. If you feel the need to go online and ***** about him wearing a jersey instead of a suit you should probably look for a hobby.

There is no shortage of people who not only want to be armchair coaches and GMs, but they also want to be armchair executives and armchair owners. Not only do they have an opinion about every aspect of the team, but they express it in an over-the-top caustic manner as well.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I would say it's way too early to start appreciating Katz from a hockey operations aspect, he seemed quite willing to let the team hit rock bottom before the fire Lowe campaign necessitated the Bob Nicholson hiring. He's certainly in the position to redeem himself as an owner in the eyes of fans, and I hope he does as that's good for all of us.

Always appreciated his work within the community and his vision with the new building though. I doubt anyone else would have gone to bat for the city on such a massive project like he did - regardless of the profit he'll make down the road.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
In the garbage where it should go. It's the friggin' Hollywood Reporter, LOL...garbage.

I agree with Bryanbryoil. Katz should be appreciated for the moves.

Nicholson was hired 10 months ago and the ongoing word was the internal audit was being done. I believe Katz had enough of losing, as well as the bad publicity that came with that. He asked Bob to step in and do whatever was necessary.
I suspect Lowe and MacT were both going to be going anyway but the availability of PB and the lottery win pushed everything to the forefront.

Sure, this should have been done long ago but we should appreciate it being done now and look forward to the future of the team, in a great new arena district with a local owner with deep pockets.

agreed. Big picture, Katz has done good for the city. Sure, he stuck with his buddies too long, but given that t it looked like it would never happen at all, that the team has finally decided to operate in a professional, business-like manner is encouraging.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Like many in the thread, I look at Katz in the bigger picture.
From a hockey ops perspective, it's been lacklustre so far, putting it mildly.

However, his impact on our city has been immense. I live on 104 st so it is in my face every day but the arena and all the development really is attracting upper end restaurants and businesses to downtown, as well as residential.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to appreciate.............???

I have to appreciate Mr. Katz as an owner. As least he stepped up to the plate.

All of us fans are forgetting the past days when the Oiler's were going to leave town when the group of business men bought the team from Pocklington.

Then when salaries were getting out of hand some of the business people were getting cold feet and it was Katz who came thru and bought the team when no one else would.

You can complain about his kid, his hair, his whatever else but the man is a Edmonton Oiler's fan and he stepped up to the plate when it counted.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Like many in the thread, I look at Katz in the bigger picture.
From a hockey ops perspective, it's been lacklustre so far, putting it mildly.

However, his impact on our city has been immense. I live on 104 st so it is in my face every day but the arena and all the development really is attracting upper end restaurants and businesses to downtown, as well as residential.

The Katz era has not been all that bad when you consider that there was a purposeful scorched earth rebuild done for the benefit of the team, and was done so at a high amount of financial risk. I think most fans were behind it at the time, and the patience has only started running out in the past couple years. In this time, we have clearly been in the part of the rebuild where we should start seeing results but shouldn't. However, 2 years is not a lot of time, but once things start going sour many fans start counting every year since 2006 into that equation.

So far, I view the Katz era so far as a good thing considering the talent we've accumulated. There was a speed bump where he decided to wait out a rough patch a bit, but to me that's more of a testament to him not wanting to make kneejerk decisions with such a fragile group, which is reasonable. It also gave Chiarelli a lot more pieces to work with. Overall, since the rebuild was started in 2009-10 (really 2010), if we start seeing real results now that would be a 5 year rebuild. That's not so awful.

Also, for us it can seem so easy to replace a GM and President, but it really isn't. There's a reason why 'Old Boys Clubs' pop up all over the league. There's only so much you can learn from interviews, and it makes more sense to stick with what you know rather than what's random. Katz realized this was a problem so he hired Nicholson specifically for his connections. Even that hire had to have the right opportunity though.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
The Katz era has not been all that bad when you consider that there was a purposeful scorched earth rebuild done for the benefit of the team, and was done so at a high amount of financial risk. I think most fans were behind it at the time, and the patience has only started running out in the past couple years. In this time, we have clearly been in the part of the rebuild where we should start seeing results but shouldn't. However, 2 years is not a lot of time, but once things start going sour many fans start counting every year since 2006 into that equation.

So far, I view the Katz era so far as a good thing considering the talent we've accumulated. There was a speed bump where he decided to wait out a rough patch a bit, but to me that's more of a testament to him not wanting to make kneejerk decisions with such a fragile group, which is reasonable. It also gave Chiarelli a lot more pieces to work with. Overall, since the rebuild was started in 2009-10 (really 2010), if we start seeing real results now that would be a 5 year rebuild. That's not so awful.

Also, for us it can seem so easy to replace a GM and President, but it really isn't. There's a reason why 'Old Boys Clubs' pop up all over the league. There's only so much you can learn from interviews, and it makes more sense to stick with what you know rather than what's random. Katz realized this was a problem so he hired Nicholson specifically for his connections. Even that hire had to have the right opportunity though.

Exactly! Fans bemoan the rebuild but there are no other solutions offered up to acquire top talent. My only complaint is allowing the scouting department to perform so poorly over the rebuild years!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
His son is not bad I don't mind him, but I absolutely hate his "I'm a billionare" glasses. They are absoluetley horrendous.

So it's come to ridiculing someone for their apparent lack of style in sunglasses?

That doesn't sound very mature to me. Or maybe you meant it in a different context.

Please clarify.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009

Count me as decidedly unconvinced. The "scorched earth" rebuild was undertaken because they thought it would make their job easy. It was just another method of big game hunting that Lowe had been entirely obsessed with his entire tenure.

How quickly so many have somehow forgotten the last NINE YEARS. (and counting, frankly)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Count me as decidedly unconvinced. The "scorched earth" rebuild was undertaken because they thought it would make their job easy. It was just another method of big game hunting that Lowe had been entirely obsessed with his entire tenure.

How quickly so many have somehow forgotten the last NINE YEARS. (and counting, frankly)

I don't think anyone has forgotten the past 9 years at all. Some like to give positive feedback rather than dwelling on the past.

But nothing has been forgotten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad