Better Late Than Never, Thank You Daryl Katz!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Now this isn't a thread to forgive everything that has been done but many of us felt that Katz would have Lowe and MacT in charge from now until the end of time.

So for actually bringing Nicholson in to do a legit audit and for choosing Chia over MacT I applaud you. I'm not even mad that you kept your long time friend Lowe to work on the business side. But ultimately you transitioned personnel power from Lowe and MacT to Nicholson and Chia and for that I am grateful.

Hopefully this starts the next generation of Oilers hockey and as fans we can grow to respect you as an owner and you can become the owner that we all hoped that you'd be when you bought the team from EIG.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I had a feeling Katz and Nicholson was planning something since December and waited until we got McDavid to finally clean house.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Meh. He took forever to do his job, and he only did it due to conditions of his friends still being on the payroll.

He hired Bob to do his dirty work, so by the furthest extension of all time, uh.. thanks for doing your job, kind of?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Meh. He took forever to do his job, and he only did it due to conditions of his friends still being on the payroll.

He hired Bob to do his dirty work, so by the furthest extension of all time, uh.. thanks for doing your job, kind of?

I think he hired Bob because he realized he was in over his head. Im sure he's had to make hard firings before in his business career so he should have been able to do it with Lowe. I think he just legitimately didn't know what to do.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
It took way too long but Katz finally realized he needed someone other than Lowe to call the shots, and in came Nicholson. Hopefully this is just the beginning to Nicholson cleaning house of people who don't belong there.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
on draft day I suspect mods will still have issue all of us warning about claiming about his eldest son being on the draft stage with McJesus

Is Katz wants me to start forgiving--leave his DRAFT age kid at home or put him in a friggen suit at the table /rant

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
on draft day I suspect mods will still have issue all of us warning about claiming about his eldest son being on the draft stage with McJesus

Is Katz wants me to start forgiving--leave his DRAFT age kid at home or put him in a friggen suit at the table /rant

You spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a team and you get to bring your kid along. Perks I guess. I agree with the suit comment though. A haircut would be nice as well.

Oh wait, that PB's comments. I agree by the way.

http://media.thebearrocks.com/Podcasts/1674/April 24-15 - Katz Kid.mp3

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
About damn time he cleaned house. We as a fan base have gone through hell under his watch.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006

You mean I won't get to say 'it's like an orange on a toothpick'?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This is an overreaction. If we didn't luck out with McDavid, there's a chance that we're still stuck with the same garbage we suffered through for nearly a decade. I like that he spends to the cap but so far he has been a terrible owner.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not quite ready to appreciate Katz. However I realize that eventually he'll be seen in a positive light for committing to a rebuild, getting a new arena and hopefully bringing a Cup back to Edmonton.

He played hard ball and got us a new arena. He worked his way in with Hockey Canada and got to know some of the best hockey minds out there, we have freaking Chiarelli now. If we get Babcock Katz will be a saint. It'll be the Katzmonton Oilers.

A week ago I hated his guts.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
WE HAVE REALLY SEEN KATZ JR GROW UP BEFORE OUR VERY EYES!

he is now of draft age--the kids on the floor wearing jersies will all be like 10 to 12

the kids his age--wearing suits till their names are called

For me--if his kid is their again wearing the jersey yet again--tells me it all for show

get kid hair cut

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm glad that he did this instead of sticking with Lowe and MacT for the next 15-20 years. I'm not saying that he's perfect, far from it as an owner. What I am saying is that ultimately he had the final say in this and I for one am happy that this came now even though it was many years overdue. Lowe bringing back MacT was when they really jumped the shark IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
he is now of draft age--the kids on the floor wearing jersies will all be like 10 to 12

the kids his age--wearing suits till their names are called

For me--if his kid is their again wearing the jersey yet again--tells me it all for show

get kid hair cut

Who in the **** are we to tell him what his kid should wear or what hair style he should have? If you have an issue with the man that's fine, taking shots at his children is low.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
WE HAVE REALLY SEEN KATZ JR GROW UP BEFORE OUR VERY EYES!

Always thought it was pretty cool for the kid to get the opportunity to be a part of franchise history that way. I bet he's having a blast, and it's always good that the potential future owner of the team has strong emotional ties to the team.

Not everyone is all that impressed with it though, ran into a petition the other day from an Oiler fan upset about always seeing him up there - https://www.change.org/p/daryl-katz-keep-his-son-off-the-stage-at-the-2015-nhl-entry-draft

Some people just take this stuff way too seriously

Who in the **** are we to tell him what his kid should wear or what hair style he should have? If you have an issue with the man that's fine, taking shots at his children is low.

Yeah, it's really not cool to take shots at the kid.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In b4 his kid shows up to the draft in a slick suit with a hot girl at his side. :laugh:

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Thank Katz? huh?

The only reason he allowed Nicholson to do his job was probably because Bettman has a seizure when he found out the Oilers won the draft lottery and threaten to take the team from Katz if he didn't get his **** together.

This is the equivalent of a women thanking her husband for not beating her today.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

the thing is aint a kid now and my comments relate directly to tthe view that katz views the team as a toy and not a business. His son I believe this year will be older then McJeses--the first few times I had no problem is was cute--not the novelty has worn off--he is off the age where like every other young man the draft-be booted and suited in you sunday best. Everyone on the stage needs to look proffesional as they represent the team--Katz kids represents nothing. OTher owners have their young children at the draft and they are dressed like the serious event it is

btw

I am not the only one

https://www.change.org/p/daryl-katz-keep-his-son-off-the-stage-at-the-2015-nhl-entry-draft

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Thank you Daryl Katz nuthin'.

• He allowed mediocrity to fester for 8 years without doing anything about it and hiring experienced and competent management.
  • Allowed the Oilers to regress to have the second longest period without being in the playoffs
  • He put personal friendships above what was best for the organisation.
  • He lucked out this year when the odds where vastly against winning the lottery.
  • Lowe and MacT are STILL in the organisation instead of doing what a respectable organisation would do and fire them for chronically underachieving.

Still, the Oilers are in a much better place now and have plenty to look forward. But rest assured this is not because of the great decisions the organisation, quite the opposite.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The man kept the bills paid. It is really easy to criticize the guy for mistakes he has made, but I'm not sure things would have been a lot better without him buying the team. It could have been a lot worse. Appreciate what you have instead of focusing on how much better you think it could have been (because you don't know if that would have ever happened anyway).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only reason for the management change is because Katz was being looked at as a laughing stock by his peers. Only way to,piss a billionaire off is to have other billionaires lose respect for them.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
the thing is aint a kid now and my comments relate directly to tthe view that katz views the team as a toy and not a business. His son I believe this year will be older then McJeses--the first few times I had no problem is was cute--not the novelty has worn off--he is off the age where like every other young man the draft-be booted and suited in you sunday best. Everyone on the stage needs to look proffesional as they represent the team--Katz kids represents nothing. OTher owners have their young children at the draft and they are dressed like the serious event it is

btw

I am not the only one

https://www.change.org/p/daryl-katz-keep-his-son-off-the-stage-at-the-2015-nhl-entry-draft

I agree with this. Couldn't care less if he is on the stage, but throw a suit on. All the other draft kids wearing jerseys are in grade school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad