Better forward group: Tampa, Toronto or Other?

Better forward group

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Three 30 goal centers is impressive but last time I checked, teams usually ice 12 forwards, not 3.

They have incredible depth on the wing too but it's the 3 30 goal centers that puts their forward group over the top, although I could make a strong case they have the best winger depth too

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Tampa's offense is in their prime and ready to contend while Toronto's has the higher potential. I'd probably take Tampa's forward group for next season. Kucherov and Stamkos is one of the best 1st line pairings in the NHL and the rest is not too shabby either.

After next season? I think I'd take Toronto's group. I'm just trying to imagine Matthews, Nylander and Marner a couple of years older and fully ready to compete. Not saying that Tampa's group is old or anything I just think Toronto's group could reach their potential by then and overtake them.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Tampa just has a horde of strong two way wingers. Gourde Palat Killorn are all phenomenal two way players. Outside of the top 2 wingers in Toronto i would take these guys over any leafs winger for this upcoming season (and Gourde debatable with marner). Not to mention having Miller who while not great defensively in NY showed signs in TB. Oh and Kucherov exists. And Johnson plays wing for us too. Tampa’s winger group in the top-9 is ridiculously deep.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I’m saying pick one or the other because it can’t be both.

You're talking about 230 vs 234 GA. Easily within range that variation year-to-year changes it. Not something to crow about like some indisputable gotcha! TBL easily have the better D-group.

The goalies put up similar svpct, all numbers favor Vasilevskiy to one degree or another. He's better but it's not a huge gap.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Tampa bay’s defence is overrated. Should they have the better defence? Certainly. Do they have the better defence? We’ll see, but if last year was any indication, I’d lean towards no.

I'd say Toronto is more underrated... Leafs D not the garbage it's portrayed as on HF, but Tampa are definitely better

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Went Tampa, Toronto has the center depth but once wingers are included Tampa just has more firepower throughout their forward ranks.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
They have incredible depth on the wing too but it's the 3 30 goal centers that puts their forward group over the top, although I could make a strong case they have the best winger depth too
I'm curious to hear what your argument is that Toronto's wingers are better than Tampa, Philly, or Winnipeg for this upcoming season. I can see the argument for 2-3 years down the line but for this season I don't think they're better than any of these 3. After Marner and Nylander it's really not very impressive.

Toronto
Marner, Nylander, Marleau, Hyman, Brown, Kapanen

Tampa
Kucherov, Gourde, Miller, Palat, Killorn, Callahan

Philly
Giroux, Voracek, Konecny, JvR, Simmonds, Lindblom

Winnipeg
Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Perreault, Lowry

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd still take Pittsburgh over any team. Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Brassard, Hornqvist, Rust, Hagelin. I just don't see a team with that combination of top end talent and depth. Tampa has the top end talent but not the depth. Toronto and Winnipeg have the depth but not top end talent. Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Guentzel > Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Nylander

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The Capitals' forwards outplayed Pittsburgh's and Tampa's in the playoffs on their way to winning the Stanley Cup.

Has something drastically changed since then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad