Better forward group: Tampa, Toronto or Other?

Better forward group

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How many experts judge young players on what they did prior to the NHL when they already have 2 seasons of NHL experience under their belt? Pretty much none. I'm baffled why you're even going this route. And I'm sorry but the facts are just the facts - Matthews had a superior PPG than Laine and showed more improvement than him from rookie to sophomore, I'm really not interested in your hypothetical garbage arguments to try and make Laine equal.

And continuing on with TavareS(it's not spelled with a Z) point, you should be taking into consideration the trickle-effect he is going to have on the lineup. I know that you know that the Jets saw a sizeable increase in goals when Stastny came to Winnipeg and a lot of it had to do with the trickle effect. Slotting in Stastny beside Laine gave the Jets high scoring 1st and 2nd lines and allowed Little to be used in an all-utility role which gave more favorable usage to the top two lines. Stastny leaving is why I don't believe the Jets can win the comparison versus Toronto, Tampa or Pittsburgh. If you load Laine and Scheifele together, the 2nd line is going to suffer. And plus what kind of improvement would it even make? Wheeler is already the Jets best offensive player who's scored 90 points on the 1st line.

And I'm sorry I'll have to admit my mistake. It wasn't you who predicted 55 goals 100 points for Laine, it was your good friend Psychodad. I mixed you two up again.

Oh please, so you admit that you are 100% in line with the same exact people who piled up the list of the top centers and hence you truly believe that Auston Matthews is currently a top 4 center in the league? A simple yes or no answer will be sufficient. See, you basically stated that these "experts" should not judge players' in terms of what they accomplished prior to joining the NHL and I can't even count all the other times when you have referred to Matthews' pre-NHL career achievements and records from USDP for the purposes of promoting his NHL/player ceiling or what not. It's like you use it when it's beneficial and discard it when it's not. Everyone by now knows that Laine actually lead his team to the Cup in Europe in a much tougher league than Matthews played, while Matthews was not able to carry his team even past first round (like he never has in or out of NHL). Obviously it has little bearing to do with the current player power rankings and that's not what I'm implying, but all things considered why shouldn't it count? Cherry-picking whatever works to support one argument only tells half the story. Besides, no matter how you wish to twist it, NHL exclusive or entire pro career included Laine's cup achievements beat Matthews and it's not even close. Even at his single NHL-only Stanley Cup run was waaaay better than Matthews' two runs even if Laine himself played under below his own standards. As far as regular season stats go, please stop pretending that aTOI doesn't have a huge impact on the overall production.

Again, you don't have a crystal ball at disposal. Therefore you have no idea if Laine will be stuck and used as a secondary scoring threat or whether he gets promotion to the first line, or if the Jets management finally figures the best way of getting more results is to split talent across the lineup and divide the minutes cause they have so many different and unexplored ways to exploit the depth. For instance, 1a & 1b or even 1a & 1b & 1c type of a setup as opposed to running the current and outdated 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines. We simply don't know what will happen. The point here is that there are avenues to explore and no matter how much you try to argue, losing Stastny will not bring down the card house and there are replacements, such as Roslovic. The Jets have the most top young guns out of any of these top scoring teams and each one of them should be better players come 18-19, which in turn will harness better results. You brought in Tavarez and now your abound for a cap hell with no real space to maneuvre. The Jets will have the same problems in the coming years but they are also a much the deeper team with a real blueline to support the forwards.

Yeah I thought so. As I said I've never made any "lunatic" expectations, then disappeared when those expectations didn't transform into actual results. As far as PS' expectations go, he makes them based on Laine's max utilization and so far the Jets management hasn't even attempted to get the absolute best out of him. They don't need to and why? Cause you know that one thing called "depth". Meanwhile you continue you make completely unnecessary and immature jabs at Laine at pretty much every single turn and topic which has absolutely nothing to do with you or your fan base. Like we can see from here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/149103547/

I cannot but help to ask why? It's like an obsession spiced up with insecurity that takes over (really cannot figure out any other reasoning). I really would never resort to such means and running around mocking another young gifted player in the main boards (whatever you do behind the closed doors is your business though) if I considered him as a rival to my favorite player. The type of behavior only knocks out whatever credibility one could have on a public discussion board, such as www.hfboards.com. Nonetheless, all to their own I suppose.

Reactions: Snowman

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Fingers crossed Edmonton can make their way into the conversation in a few years, but for now it's Tampa. They've got more pieces in play that matter.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I find Marner rather overrated around these parts, he’s really just a guy who’s stats were inflated by a hot run on the PP. Gourde was a legitimately elite 5v5 scorer this season though he did shoot super high percentage, but even when his percentages regress he’s a well above average 5v5 scorer who is also a play driver and defensive difference maker.

Nylander and Gourde had the same amount of ES points this year. So maybe change your thing to Kuch>Marner and Nylander=Gourde. Or I mean Marner also only had 7 less ES points than Gourde.. And was dominant in the second half + playoffs. I don't think people realize this but Marner's line was playing against the Bergeron line in the playoffs (Chara-McAvoy against Matthews) and he still scored 9 points in 7 games with Plekanec as his center for 3 of the games.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Nylander and Gourde had the same amount of ES points this year. So maybe change your thing to Kuch>Marner and Nylander=Gourde. Or I mean Marner also only had 7 less ES points than Gourde.. And was dominant in the second half + playoffs. I don't think people realize this but Marner's line was playing against the Bergeron line in the playoffs (Chara-McAvoy against Matthews) and he still scored 9 points in 7 games with Plekanec as his center for 3 of the games.
Nylander is better than Gourde

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
What, the truth that you guys yell victim complex whenever confronted with a logical issue so you don’t need to address it? nah.
How is calling everyone who votes against the leafs "anti leaf" a logical issue? Did you ever stop to think, even just for a moment that maybe....MAYBE other people have different opinions?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
How is calling everyone who votes against the leafs "anti leaf" a logical issue? Did you ever stop to think, even just for a moment that maybe....MAYBE other people have different opinions?

what on earth are you babbling about? the guy asked a reasonable question and you start yelling victim complex.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

During the games in Boston Bergeron was not assigned to Matthews?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I mean the anti Leaf will say Tampa but 3 30 goal centers says it's Toronto

what on earth are you babbling about? the guy asked a reasonable question and you start yelling victim complex.

Where in there do you see a reasonable question? It's an assertion that anyone who votes for Tampa in this poll is "anti Leaf".

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Where in there do you see a reasonable question?

where the 3 30 goal centres were being considered in the comparison?? not sure how you could ignore that, unless you had some other reason to. that was what the guy said. it's fairly impressive.

don't think HFBoards likes the pushback on the ol' victim trope. oh well.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Calling anyone who does not vote for the leafs "anti leaf" is a victim complex. Its that simple. I've seen this numerous times on these forums and its sad.

I've seen a ton of anti-Leaf crap on here too, also sad.

so there we are.

a whole bunch of sadness.

Reactions: Garthinater

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
where the 3 30 goal centres were being considered in the comparison?? not sure how you could ignore that, unless you had some other reason to. that was what the guy said. it's fairly impressive.

There was no comparison. There was an assertion that anyone who wasn't swayed by 3 30 goal centres were "anti Leaf".

It's like saying that anyone who doesn't think the Jets has top 2 goaltending in the league is anti Jets, because Hellebuyck was 2nd in Vezina voting. It's ignoring a plethora of factors that ultimately greatly affect whether the claim is true. It's not attempting to have a discussion. It's trying to cut off a discussion by saying that anyone who disagrees is biased. It's extremely lazy, and it doesn't further the discussion in the slightest. I understand exactly why people are reacting against it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Speaking of ignoring, not sure how you could ignore the part where he implied anyone who didn't pick the Leafs was anti-Leaf.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
[mod]
Tampa has the better forward group.
I could see Toronto being better maybe after this year but they have to prove themselves first

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad