Better career - Scheifele vs Trouba vs Ehlers

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I voted Ehlers because he is an elite talent.

Trouba was my second option.

This isn't because I am down on Scheifele. I like Scheifele a lot, but the other two still have elite potential IMO.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Ehlers has the highest ceiling. Scheif then Trouba.

To me it looks like

Ehlers - 30g-40a - 70+ point elite winger.
Scheifele - 50-65 point Mediocre 1C, very very good 2C.
Trouba - 20-30 point solid all around top 4 defencemen. Would make an excellent partner to a truly franchise or elite defencemen.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just some visuals to help people become more informed to choose...

Ehlers' and Scheifele's rookie seasons:
jets1.png

Keep in mind that Ehlers is a year younger and further back in his age curve.

Trouba's rookie season and also season at Scheifele's rookie season age:
jets2.png

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers, Scheif, Trouba. Ehlers is special. Scheif is the captain here in five years. Trouba is a good dman but Im just skeptical that he can be a true number one RHD.

Jetty

Russ from St.B
Jun 21, 2011
St.B
Ehlers without a question if he keeps working like a maniac during the off season. Schiefele will be a solid player/character in the dressing room will wear the C. Trouba hasn't shown he is willing to go all in during the off season so he will never reach his full potential.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
hopefully it will be a tough choice as all three will have outstanding careers (fingers crossed). Picked Scheifele because he if he turns out to be the big, dominating #1C then could have the greatest impact. Ehlers will be the most exciting of the three though.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Just some visuals to help people become more informed to choose...

Ehlers' and Scheifele's rookie seasons:
jets1.png

Keep in mind that Ehlers is a year younger and further back in his age curve.

Those charts really look like Scheifele and Ehlers are perfect linemates for now and the next 5+ years. The thought of

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers

as our first line really makes me happy.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I feel like we've seen the best we're going to see out of Trouba. He'll have flashes of greatness but I don't feel like we're going to see a #1 defenseman there.

Schiefele still has room to improve, so I could easily see him pulling off 50+ point seasons for the next 4-5 years for sure... if he stays healthy.

Ehlers will likely be a top 30 forward in the league when he peaks, which isn't for a few seasons yet.

I agree with this assessment.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really see what everyone else sees in Trouba. He had a good first year as a rookie, but as been pretty bland since then, even when paired with someone good. Unless something happens soon with him, I think we're seeing what he is. I'm honestly not convinced that he's really as motivated as he should be.

Schief is going to (continue to) be a very good 2nd line C, but I have hope for a little more simply because of his work ethic.

Ehlers has vision, skating and hands that are very high end.... in his first season.... at 19.... coming straight from junior.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
They are all about equal I think. Ehlers looks like he could be the best at his position, but Scheifele plays the most important position and Trouba has a pretty high floor to work with.

Ehlers has to develop a better game along the walls if he's ever going to be that 70 point player we hope he can be.

Scheifele can be the Krejci of our team I think where he's good at whatever role you use him in if he has good wingers.

Trouba just needs to get back to training the way Scheifele is in the off-season and I suspect he will go right back to looking like the top pairing guy we all think we have.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I agree with this assessment.

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really see what everyone else sees in Trouba. He had a good first year as a rookie, but as been pretty bland since then, even when paired with someone good. Unless something happens soon with him, I think we're seeing what he is. I'm honestly not convinced that he's really as motivated as he should be....

I will generally agree with the motivated issue. Agree isn't the right word, but I guess accept. I have no way of knowing but he certainly doesn't install confidence the way Scheiefele does that he's going to get every ounce of ability out of his body.

As for the regression...it seems to be primarily visual.

troubas-growth.png

Comparing all three of his seasons, last year was actually his best season for driving play.

Nik may end up being the better player, but I place more value on a defender.

According to these charts (imperfect as they are) trouba's already flirting with top pairing dman territory.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Ehlers has the highest potential, Fefe is already a top 6 center. Trouba is already a top 4 D.

Still, based off his ceiling, have to take Ehlers. I'it's a good problem to have though ;)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I will generally agree with the motivated issue. Agree isn't the right word, but I guess accept. I have no way of knowing but he certainly doesn't install confidence the way Scheiefele does that he's going to get every ounce of ability out of his body.

troubas-growth.png

Comparing all three of his seasons, last year was actually his best season for driving play.

According to these charts (imperfect as they are) trouba's already flirting with top pairing dman territory.

Good representation of the 3 years. I certainly wouldn't have put those numbers together from watching alone. I appreciate the comparison.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

troubas-growth.png

All this despite Mark Stuart. Neither prime Chara or Byfuglien could carry Stu into the plus. Trouba did last year. He's good at hockey.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think Scheifele & Ehlers seem to have the work ethic required to take them to the next level. In raw talent, Ehlers seems to exceed both Scheif and Trouba.

That said, way too early to make even a reasonable prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad