Better career - Scheifele vs Trouba vs Ehlers

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Which of these Jets first rounders will have the best career?

Scheif has already proven that he can be an effective 2C (and maybe 1C) and looks to improve still.
Trouba started off amazingly with huge potential, but has plateaued a bit.
Ehlers has had a very good rookie season thus far and has a high ceiling.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Man, that is an insanely hard question for me to answer.

Last year, I would have taken Trouba over Scheifele. This year I take Scheifele over Trouba. After tonight's game, it's hard not to be excited about Ehler's future as an enforcer. ;)

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Elhers is getting better and better every game ... he will be super star for sure.
Scheifele is good but the only thing I'm worried about him is the injury bug.
Trouba's play seems to be going down ... he needs to stop pinching and stick to playing defence.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Man, that is an insanely hard question for me to answer.

Last year, I would have taken Trouba over Scheifele. This year I take Scheifele over Trouba. After tonight's game, it's hard not to be excited about Ehler's future as an enforcer. ;)

yup. who needs A.P. or thor when we have Ehlers :yo:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
trouba and morrisey wont be those gamebreaking top2 defensemans, but their skills will mesh and make them good.

ehlers can drive offence right now if he wanted to

schiefele is amazing but he will be a 70 point center at best

ehlers imo

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
trouba and morrisey wont be those gamebreaking top2 defensemans, but their skills will mesh and make them good.

ehlers can drive offence right now if he wanted to

schiefele is amazing but he will be a 70 point center at best

ehlers imo

So he'll be a top ten centre then? ;) 70pts would have put him in a tie for 11th place in the points standings last year, tied with Malkin, Getzlaf, and Pavelski, and one point out of 10th (Johansen).

Derfel*

I feel like we've seen the best we're going to see out of Trouba. He'll have flashes of greatness but I don't feel like we're going to see a #1 defenseman there.

Schiefele still has room to improve, so I could easily see him pulling off 50+ point seasons for the next 4-5 years for sure... if he stays healthy.

Ehlers will likely be a top 30 forward in the league when he peaks, which isn't for a few seasons yet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a tough question and far too early to know for sure, but each will be very valuable in their own way. Trouba will be just fine. He probably never quite makes it to elite status and Norris contention but spends his career as a good top pairing or great 2nd pairing d-man on a strong team. Scheifele will be at his ceiling sooner and I'm guessing he has a long and successful career as a 55-60 point 2-way center. More than good enough to be considered a #1 C, but in a perfect world is a great # 2 behind an elite #1. Ehlers will be a pure point getter and likely has a handful of seasons in the top 10 range. I see him pushing into the 70 point range with some frequency. All 3 will be very important for future success.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Trouba needs to work on his conditioning IMO. He looks tired out there more than other players. He lost a lot of the aggressiveness in his game not just in terms of hitting, but also making confident plays with the puck, jumping up to pick off passes, etc. He's not playing with the same speed he had before. He sits back a lot more now. Looks like he'd rather be a safe #2 than a dominant #1.

Ehlers has the potential to be a top-10 scorer in the league. Trouba still has Norris potential but it's definitely more of a long-shot at this point than it appeared in his rookie year. I'm a big fan of Scheifele but if he has the best career of those three, I think it means the other two failed to reach their potential and it's pretty bad news for the Jets.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Hard to compare forwards with a D man but if Trouba hits his ceiling, he is a Norris candidate and if Scheifele hits his ceiling, he is a bona fide 1C. If Ehlers hits his ceiling, he is a top 5 point scorer. If all hit their ceiling, we are a cup contender and nobody is asking which one is having the best career.
We need to see a full season of Trouba with a half decent D partner and Scheifele play a full season with some competent wingers and Ehlers not go into any slumps and play strong all season before any of them hit their ceiling.
I'll say Trouba.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd go Schiefele, Ehlers then Trouba. All guys who work hard, Trouba is still pretty immature and easily discouraged. Schiefele has a 200 ft game that will keep him in the league for 15 years even if he doesn't get to being closer to a point a game guy. Ehlers is a pretty crafty guy who can drive the play already, but he's going to have to figure out how to get the puck himself sometimes to be a star.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I have no idea. I think it will come down to injuries. All 3 have the upside to become Hall of Famers but all three might just as well "only" turn out to very good players for a very long time.

White Out 403*

It's weird agreeing with derfel but I think my opinion on Trouba has soured. He's gone from a possible Norris guy to a quality 2nd pairing d man for me. Too many mental mistakes.. He is young I guess. But a solid third d man is nothing to sneeze at.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Elhers is getting better and better every game ... he will be super star for sure.
Trouba's play seems to be going down ... he needs to stop pinching and stick to playing defence.

He needs to stop playing with Stu. Unfortunately it appears that his only chance of that is a trade. :thumbd:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to compare forwards with a D man but if Trouba hits his ceiling, he is a Norris candidate and if Scheifele hits his ceiling, he is a bona fide 1C. If Ehlers hits his ceiling, he is a top 5 point scorer. If all hit their ceiling, we are a cup contender and nobody is asking which one is having the best career.
We need to see a full season of Trouba with a half decent D partner and Scheifele play a full season with some competent wingers and Ehlers not go into any slumps and play strong all season before any of them hit their ceiling.
I'll say Trouba.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but if you look at the 3, Trouba is the only 1 not improving. He is turning into a more talented version of Stu. OMG, its contagious! :eek: :rant: :shakehead
His rookie year was his best. Everything since is just a little less than that. No signs of improvement at all. He may still have a very high ceiling but the likelihood of achieving it is diminishing.

Scheif's ceiling is probably that of an avg 1C and he is likely near his peak now. His dedication to improvement will carry him a little farther but you can only expect so much.

Ehlers ceiling is P. Kane and he is moving in that direction quite quickly. Not saying he gets that far but there is nothing yet to say he doesn't. Well, except his mean streak. If he insists on fighting all the time he may have a lot of hand injuries. :laugh:

White Out 403*

You are entitled to your opinion of course but if you look at the 3, Trouba is the only 1 not improving. He is turning into a more talented version of Stu. OMG, its contagious! :eek: :rant: :shakehead
His rookie year was his best. Everything since is just a little less than that. No signs of improvement at all. He may still have a very high ceiling but the likelihood of achieving it is diminishing.

Scheif's ceiling is probably that of an avg 1C and he is likely near his peak now. His dedication to improvement will carry him a little farther but you can only expect so much.

Ehlers ceiling is P. Kane and he is moving in that direction quite quickly. Not saying he gets that far but there is nothing yet to say he doesn't. Well, except his mean streak. If he insists on fighting all the time he may have a lot of hand injuries. :laugh:

It's hard to be so difficult on Jake right now, because he is young and defense is a hard position to learn. His advanced stats aren't very different (actually better than his rookie year) but his point production has dropped. To me that's why he will never really be a Norris guy... kids can and will make mistakes but we've seen it before with Phaneuf and others that once the offensive production drops it's not easy to get that back on track.

Again, being a solid 3rd defenseman in the NHL is a great thing to have. But the idea he wants anything near 7 million is actually laughable.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I agree, Schief needs to find other ways to score, learn to get into the dirty areas more, he relies on his one shot too much which usually results in a miss more often than not. Trouba has his moments but I doubt he ever becomes a bona fide top pair D man.

Ehlers has elite player written all over him, star, too soon to say.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Ehlers would be my vote..but Trouba is only 14yrs old in defence man years. He could end up being so good as he matures

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Scheifele= mid/ average 1C. Not elite or a top 1C. Basically will be a slightly more productive Little with size. Not bad to have as a 1-2 with Little for the few coming years, unless we get Matthews, and move Little to wing.

Trouba= A pretty good/ average #2. Will need to someone better then him to be a contender. Or a great, top middle pair/ #3. I don't see him ever being a true, elite #1 NHL dman. He lacks the hockey IQ/ smarts.

Ehlers= Highest ceiling of all of them. I see him in a couple years as being a guy you know is going to pot 30 every year. Kind of like a Kessel, Pacrioetty. A guy you know should be good for 30-35 goals just about every year. Explosive, skilled winger. And I don't think you can rule out his ceiling as being an elite #1 winger, near the top of scoring most years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to be so difficult on Jake right now, because he is young and defense is a hard position to learn. His advanced stats aren't very different (actually better than his rookie year) but his point production has dropped. To me that's why he will never really be a Norris guy... kids can and will make mistakes but we've seen it before with Phaneuf and others that once the offensive production drops it's not easy to get that back on track.

Again, being a solid 3rd defenseman in the NHL is a great thing to have. But the idea he wants anything near 7 million is actually laughable.

Yes to the bold. You expect them to start pretty high but that is ridiculous.

If he is going to be that 2nd pair D then maybe we should consider him for Hamonic. We would still need an add from NYI for age and contract status alone.

I wouldn't be surprised though if we did that trade that he would get a different LD partner and get back on the Norris trajectory. It is just about time for his agent to start demanding that the Jets remove the anchor chain. I consider that pretty extreme action that crosses some boundaries but desperate times call for desperate measures. It may be seriously undermining Trouba's career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad