Better All-Time: Peter Forsberg Or Evgeni Malkin?

Which player would you rank higher on an all-time list?

• Total voters

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It is a pretty big edge, but in overall offensive output, there's not a huge gap since Forsberg makes up some ground being the better playmaker. (Also clear, but not a huge gap like with Malkins goalscoring)

But ultimately that also depends on how much you value their strengths. Some put a huge enough stock in goalscoring that the offensive edge goes from slight to huge.

Why is this true?

Reactions: Wings4Life

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Why is this true?

Because their point finishes are close when you compare it side by side?

And comparing their assists and APG gives Forsberg an edge.

Also not sure why you ignored the 2nd part of that post which clearly states it depends on how much emphasis you put on the massive goalscoring edge.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The irony is you can make a case for Forsberg with the caveat that if he had just been healthier his career numbers would just be that much more eye catching and his place in history would be that much more secure.

And you can make a case that if Malkin had started to suffer from some debilitating injuries during and right after his peak years, we’d be more fondly reminiscing about what a transcendent player he was at his peak. Not that his aging has been anything but very good but it gives you a long runway to kind of “forget” that on many occasions he rendered Sid the second banana.

Two of the greatest I’ve ever seen, no doubt. Slightly biased in my affinity towards Forsberg - I think history may be a bit kinder to Malkin just because he’s been able to compile a more tangible resume. Once us nostalgic 90’s and early 00’s fans fade away, the idea of peak Forsberg will be harder to quantify.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I haven't followed whether this had been taken into account, but I think Forsberg had a significant advantage in playing mostly prior to the cap era...dude simply had better wingers. Malkin had Neal and Kessel for a few seasons but often had to make do with guys like Talbot and Fedotenko, ...Forsberg had Kamensky, Lemieux, Tanguay, Hejduk, Knuble, and Gagne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad