Music: Best Two Top 40 Hits Wonders

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
"'Cause little Willy, Willy won't go home
But you can't push Willy 'round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no
Little Willy, Willy won't go home" All rights reserved Sweet

These threads get technical. I edited the OP to document my picks.
I honestly thought I could just slip " sweet" in here thinking nobody remembers this 70s glam band other than ballroom blitz ,which is in my top 5 greatest rock n roll songs ever. Plus they just never get bought up in any discussion regardless the thread topic , so they might not belong in this topic I'm happy to see that people actually recognize them.

Elvis P

Lost in the supermarket 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
I honestly thought I could just slip " sweet" in here thinking nobody remembers this 70s glam band other than ballroom blitz ,which is in my top 5 greatest rock n roll songs ever. Plus they just never get bought up in any discussion regardless the thread topic , so they might not belong in this topic I'm happy to see that people actually recognize them.
They're awesome and you're the goat NFL poster and pron star of all time. If anyone disagrees, they to need to read and think about your user name. Thumbs up 👆 to you. :thumbu:

• Love
Reactions: TheAngryHank

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I didn't really forget, that song wasn't very good or popular .I just wanted to slide them in because ballroom blitz might be the greatest song ever 👍
that's cool. i think oxygen is a great song, and i don't care that much for ballroom blitz. willie willie is cool to bug out to.

just because you don't care much for a song doesn't erase the fact that song was still a hit. take rem for an example. except for one hit song i can't say that they didn't have any other hits because i can't stand the band and those other songs.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The Proclaimers - Letter from America and I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Focus - Hocus Pocus and Sylvia
Yes - Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't think I'd call them "great" but somehow both LFO and O-Town had 2 top-10 singles. LFO I suppose I get because 1999 was the pinnacle of that boy band craze, O-Town was like someone applying to a closing business but getting the job anyway and making some last minute money.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I almost always have them on my MP3 player.

One My favourite songs is Tom Tom. Poppy song about a serious situation

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Almost all of the Sweets' hits were written by the famous songwriting duo of Chinn and Chapman (Mike Chapman was the actual talent, though), of course, but at least some people say that the band became better after they started to write all of their own stuff (plus "Fox on the Run" was a self-penned hit). Unfortunately, they didn't sell nearly as well anymore.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Almost all of the Sweets' hits were written by the famous songwriting duo of Chinn and Chapman (Mike Chapman was the actual talent, though), of course, but at least some people say that the band became better after they started to write all of their own stuff (plus "Fox on the Run" was a self-penned hit). Unfortunately, they didn't sell nearly as well anymore.
Because the record label stopped making as much money off of them. C and C the record label split the publishing rights. The boys in sweet started their own publishing company when they started writing songs and the new contract the record label only got 15%. So they were not motivated to anything. Also, the band was self destructing lead by the singer and drummer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Fun fact about sweet. DIO nearly joined the band in the late 70s after the singer left. Depending who is telling the story, either he was non committed to joining or he would have wrote all the songs. there was also the situation DIO never did drugs and rarely touched booze. 2 of the band members were still having a good time and did not gel with DIO when they went out to dinner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad