Music: Best Two Top 40 Hits Wonders

Elvis P

Lost in the supermarket 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
Best Two Top 40 Hits Wonders

Tone Loc - "Wild Thing" (1988, Number Two) and "Funky Cold Medina" (1989, Number Three)
Young MC - "Bust a Move" (1989, Number Seven) and "Principal's Office" (1989, Number 33)
Golden Earring - "Radar Love" (1973, Number 13) and "Twilight Zone" (1982, Number 10)

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Intriguing thread title. I don't remember anyone discussing 2-Hit Wonders... maybe because it's so hard to come up with any.

But I thought of one:

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus / Der Kommissar. (their Wikipedia page claims they had "several international hits", but on this side of the Atlantic my guess is most of us only heard those two songs).

Reactions: Elvis P

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Spin Doctors - Two Princes and Little Miss Cant Be Wrong

Rick Astley - Together Forever and Never Gonna Give You Up

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street and Right Down The Line

Presidents of the United States of America - Lump and Peaches

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I assume a lot of them will be two releases from a debut album or one-album wonder band.

Are there bands with only two hits from two different albums?

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Fastball - The Way and Out of My Head

Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take it and I Wanna Rock (their other best charting song is a Leader of the Pack cover which is kind of meh for counting imo)

Reactions: Elvis P

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Spin Doctors - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong and Two Princes. I like this one because both songs sound like 90s one hit wonders where you recognize the song but didn't know who sung it. But they have two.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Spin Doctors - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong and Two Princes. I like this one because both songs sound like 90s one hit wonders where you recognize the song but didn't know who sung it. But they have two.

I do remember their song "Cleopatra's Cat" but I'm not sure how high it charted.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Simply Red - Holding Back the Years, If You Don't Know me By Now

Christopher Cross - Sailing, Arthur’s Theme

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we need to clarify what a hit is. Top 10, 20, 30, 40 etc?

I will use ACDC as an example--they have had no top ten hits in the states and only one top 30

A few bands mentioned have had other songs in the top 30 to 50.

So I ask what chart rankings are we using--top 10 or top 100?

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's not a qualification for a hit, chart success is. All had chart success in several European countries. As the OP says, Top 40 hits. "Fairground" was actually their only UK #1.

Sure, but I’ll wager that every band has more than two hits in their home country.

Good call. Never heard that "Hunter" though..

Life for Rent was in the top 10 in the UK so Dido doesn’t count according to the criteria.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure, but I’ll wager that every band has more than two hits in their home country.

Life for Rent was in the top 10 in the UK so Dido doesn’t count according to the criteria.
Yes but Simply Red had success throughout Europe. The chart success of the songs is listed in the Wikipedia articles.

And FYI, I couldn't stand them. :laugh: When Metallica recorded some back stage material for MTV Europe for the MTV Europe Music Awards, and they edited Simply Red's dressing room's sign to say "Simply dReadfull", I laughed my ass off. I recall Mick Hucknall getting a laugh out of it too when hearing who had done it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes but Simply Red had success throughout Europe. The chart success of the songs is listed in the Wikipedia articles.

And FYI, I couldn't stand them. :laugh: When Metallica recorded some back stage material for MTV Europe for the MTV Europe Music Awards, and they edited Simply Red's dressing room's sign to say "Simply dReadfull", I laughed my ass off. I recall Mick Hucknall getting a laugh out of it too when hearing who had done it.

I always thought it was funny that they were called Simply Red because of their communist leanings and they’d be on US easy listening radio stations.

Well, that and his hair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad