Best Rangers Free Agent Signing Ever

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
nylander was great, but you have to wonder how much of that was because of Jaromir Jagr.... hard to compare because after he played for the caps and ovechkin so...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think some of the names mentioned were very good, but for relatively short periods of time. In some cases we're talking only 2 or 3 seasons.

If we look at the past 25 years or so, Graves played 772 games for the Rangers, with Girardi closing the gap at 725 games played and coutning. Both guys were all-stars for the Rangers and were core players for a very long time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
nylander was great, but you have to wonder how much of that was because of Jaromir Jagr.... hard to compare because after he played for the caps and ovechkin so...

Nylander was a guy who was the ultimate support player. If you put him in the right situation, with the right guy, he could look very good. I think Jagr was crucial to his overall success, but I'd say Nylander was also a fairly underrated player.

He was a late bloomer, but did very well once he settled into his niche at the NHL level.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I also remember two players that Jagr specifically asked to play with in his time with NYR.

He loved playing with Nylander. These two had really good chem togather.

Off-topic but I also remember Jagr complementing a young Dubinsky as well and asking to keep him on the top line.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Marty Straka was great on that line too...Nylander and Jagr didn't know there was a defensive zone...but Straka was always back helping the Defense.

Straka really was a good solider for us.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I also remember two players that Jagr specifically asked to play with in his time with NYR.

He loved playing with Nylander. These two had really good chem togather.

Off-topic but I also remember Jagr complementing a young Dubinsky as well and asking to keep him on the top line.

its hard to imagine, but in a little over 2 more full seasons, Brandon Dubinsky will have played more games outside a Rangers uniform than in one.

Strange.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Just saying, Zuccarello has now played 351 NHL games including playoffs and has 227pts. That's .65 pts/game.

Scott Gomez was a solid UFA signing. 70 points and 58 points. Turned into Ryan McDonagh.

Marian Gaborik was a solid signing. 280 games played including playoffs. 242 pts. Turned into Derick Brassard who played 313 games. 218 pts. He turned into Mike Zibanejad. TBD.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The signing of Scott Gomez gave us the assets to acquire our captain, so winner winner chicken dinner!

I'd have to agree with this in a sense, because that trade freed up the cap space to sign Gaborik as well.

Gomez wasn't exactly terrible in NY either, but wasn't living up to the contract he got.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Gravy was absolutely my answer, but didnt expect him to be the choice in the article, it was so long ago.
Neil Smith was so right thst he could get arb to agree to Mallette ss comp, same age, games played, comparable production, as Detroit and Oil had used Graves in limited role

Thank god the arbitrator picked Troy Mallette. The Oilers wanted Steven Rice who was a good prospect, someone that Neil Smith was selling as the next Cam Neely. (One thing Neil Smith was GREAT at was overselling prospects to teams, especially the Oilers) Sather really wanted Rice for Graves and when he didn't get him Rice became one of the main guys Sather wanted for Messier. At the time, it was thought that Rice was going to be a great power forward for years to come. It never worked out for the the kid.

Also, Graves was not popular during his first training camp with the Rangers. At least not with the fans. Mallette was a popular player but the Rangers were loaded with guys like him (Domi, Kocur, Jannsens, King) Nobody expected Graves to turn into what he did. I don't even think the Rangers saw that coming. Looking back at the summer of 91, the Rangers had just got bounced from the playoffs by a bad Caps team and Smith had a ****ing meltdown after that series. Literally, outside the dressing room to the press right after the series was over. You knew changes were coming. Messier was a pipe dream, at least to me he was. Yes, the Rangers were mentioned as a possible team but I remember reading he was going to the expansion Sharks for a boatload of picks but the Sharks had building issues (Literally, look at where they played the first season) and Messier did not want to deal with that. He was then supposed to go the Kings to join Gretzky, but that Messier didn't want to go to LA for whatever reason(s). Messier was then going to Chicago. I have a distinct memory of watching ESPN the week Messier was traded to the Rangers and they had Messier to Chicago as a basic done deal. It wasn't until the night before the trade that we Ranger fans knew Messier to the Rangers was going to happen. WFAN had fans complaining that the Rangers were trading Nichols for an over the hill Messier. Looking back, it was amazing to listen to.

The offseason in 91 changed everything for the Rangers. It lead to a Cup. Another forgotten part of history but at the time rumors were that Smith had a deal worked out for Adam Oates if the Messier deal didn't happen. During the 91-92 season the Rangers were after Adam Oates, it almost happened a few times. I think if the Ranger had Messier and Oates as the top two centers they would've won multiple cups.

Last edited:

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Thank god the arbitrator picked Troy Mallette. The Oilers wanted Steven Rice who was a good prospect, someone that Neil Smith was selling as the next Cam Neely. (One thing Neil Smith was GREAT at was overselling prospects to teams, especially the Oilers) Sather really wanted Rice for Graves and when he didn't get him Rice became one of the main guys Sather wanted for Messier. At the time, it was thought that Rice was going to be a great power forward for years to come. It never worked out for the the kid.

Also, Graves was not popular during his first training camp with the Rangers. At least not with the fans. Mallette was a popular player but the Rangers were loaded with guys like him (Domi, Kocur, Jannsens, King) Nobody expected Graves to turn into what he did. I don't even think the Rangers saw that coming. Looking back at the summer of 91, the Rangers had just got bounced from the playoffs by a bad Caps team and Smith had a ****ing meltdown after that series. Literally, outside the dressing room to the press right after the series was over. You knew changes were coming. Messier was a pipe dream, at least to me he was. Yes, the Rangers were mentioned as a possible team but I remember reading he was going to the expansion Sharks for a boatload of picks but the Sharks had building issues (Literally, look at where they played the first season) and Messier did not want to deal with that. He was then supposed to go the Kings to join Gretzky, but that Messier didn't want to go to LA for whatever reason(s). Messier was then going to Chicago. I have a distinct memory of watching ESPN the week Messier was traded to the Rangers and they had Messier to Chicago as a basic done deal. It wasn't until the night before the trade that we Ranger fans knew Messier to the Rangers was going to happen. WFAN had fans complaining that the Rangers were trading Nichols for an over the hill Messier. Looking back, it was amazing to listen to.

The offseason in 91 changed everything for the Rangers. It lead to a Cup. Another forgotten part of history but at the time rumors were that Smith had a deal worked out for Adam Oates if the Messier deal didn't happen. During the 91-92 season the Rangers were after Adam Oates, it almost happened a few times. I think if the Ranger had Messier and Oates as the top two centers they would've won multiple cups.

I heard that Smith meltdown on the radio. I worked nights at that time and was going to my dinner break at 10. He was flipping out, it was great. He basically called the whole team a bunch of wimps.

I was a big Mallette fan as well. I also liked Kevin Miller, who was sent off to Detroit for Kocur, I *think*. I do remember a lot of calls to WFAN against getting Messier, but the morning the trade was announced, I was driving to visit a friend at Oneonta and had on the FAN most of the ride and everyone was going ga-ga over the move. I recall the Rangers were playing in Montreal and I thought for a minute to blow off the Oneonta trip and drive to Montreal and catch the game.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The 91 team was very good but the problems were that Richter hurt his groin and Beezer basically played a majority of the games in Feb and Mar and he just wasn't that great that season.

Also Kissio hard a charley horse and was basically finished as a Ranger and with the Miller trade, the Rangers only had one real line.

Smith took it very personal because he changed the core of the Rangers over the course of two season (In: Gartner, Nichols, Mallete, King, Jansens, Richter Out: Dahlen, Sandstrom, Granato Lafleur, Dionne, Froese)

There was a real youth movement going on in NY at that time; Leetch, Richter, Turcotte, and a lot of the guys mentioned above plus players like Corey Millen and Jason Lefeierbe(sp?) got some time. Then in 91 Weight, Amonte, Rice, Nemchinov came in so adding Messier made sense to compliment the youth.

Also that Washington team was not bad. A lot of that core had been through long playoff battles for about 4-5 years (86 Rangers series, 87 Islanders Easter game, 88 Flyers insanity, 90 ECF trip) and had veterans like Langway, Hunter, Liut, Ridley (yeah I know :rant:), Calle Johanssen, etc. who could play in big moments and had pesky players like Pivonka and Druce. Even in 1994 they were a tough out despite it only going five and if not for some Sergei Zubov heroics, could have gone either six or seven.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I remember these times well. At the time I ran a route so I was in the truck all day with WFAN on. Couple of things...

I don't remember too many people complaining about the Messier deal. When it happened it was BIG news and most in Rangers-land at the time were thrilled that NYR were able to obtain such a leader.

I do remember one caller complaining about it and mentioning Marcel Dionne, Tim Kerr and Guy Lafleur and calling the Rangers Organization a retirement community.

On Graves, JD said it best. Before Messier arrived, he was making mention to Graves as "Mini-Messier". Pretty accurate assessment of him early on in his career. In Edmonton, "Mini-Messier" wasn't just a bodyguard. He completely bought into Messiers system. When Joel Otto got under Messiers skin, the whole Oiler team knew about it...But it was Graves that took action. He fought him like 3 times in two seasons. The Oiler team took notice. Graves became a leader.

With the Rangers, Graves didn't need to do the heavy lifting as a bodyguard. However....he did it anyway and with really good results.

As a goal scorer, Graves in three years accomplished more then both Rick Nash and Gaborik. While Nash wasent a free agent, he was touted as arguably the best scorer the Rangers ever acquired. Numbers show a different story.

Graves first 3 seasons he scored 114 goals
Big Ricky Nash scored 104 goals in his first 4 seasons here.
Gaborik scored 114 with the Rangers in 4 seasons.
Jagr scored 109 in his three seasons here. Also not a free agent, however looking at Goal scoring comparisions.

Graves was the full package and it will be very tough to ever replace him as best free agent signing ever. From a statistical perspective, to a leadership perspective to the results the club had in his tenure here.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Marty Straka was great on that line too...Nylander and Jagr didn't know there was a defensive zone...but Straka was always back helping the Defense.

Straka really was a good solider for us.

Straka is one of my all-time favorite Rangers because of his tenure here. Guy worked his tail off on both ends of the rink. Love that guy.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I remember these times well. At the time I ran a route so I was in the truck all day with WFAN on. Couple of things...

I don't remember too many people complaining about the Messier deal. When it happened it was BIG news and most in Rangers-land at the time were thrilled that NYR were able to obtain such a leader.

I do remember one caller complaining about it and mentioning Marcel Dionne, Tim Kerr and Guy Lafleur and calling the Rangers Organization a retirement community.

On Graves, JD said it best. Before Messier arrived, he was making mention to Graves as "Mini-Messier". Pretty accurate assessment of him early on in his career. In Edmonton, "Mini-Messier" wasn't just a bodyguard. He completely bought into Messiers system. When Joel Otto got under Messiers skin, the whole Oiler team knew about it...But it was Graves that took action. He fought him like 3 times in two seasons. The Oiler team took notice. Graves became a leader.

With the Rangers, Graves didn't need to do the heavy lifting as a bodyguard. However....he did it anyway and with really good results.

As a goal scorer, Graves in three years accomplished more then both Rick Nash and Gaborik. While Nash wasent a free agent, he was touted as arguably the best scorer the Rangers ever acquired. Numbers show a different story.

Graves first 3 seasons he scored 114 goals
Big Ricky Nash scored 104 goals in his first 4 seasons here.
Gaborik scored 114 with the Rangers in 4 seasons.
Jagr scored 109 in his three seasons here. Also not a free agent, however looking at Goal scoring comparisions.

Graves was the full package and it will be very tough to ever replace him as best free agent signing ever. From a statistical perspective, to a leadership perspective to the results the club had in his tenure here.

Comparing Graves to Nash and Gaborik is ridiculous. Comparing him to Jagr is asinine. You are comparing apples to oranges. It's not even the same sport anymore.

To break it down.

2009-2010: 3 - 50+ Goal Scorers, 4-40 - Gaborik was 5th in NHL
2010-2011: 1-50+ , 4-40+
2011-2012: 1-60, 1-50+, 2-40+ Gaborik was 3rd in NHL
2012-2013: Half Season - Did not Calculate
2013-2014: 1-50+, 2-40+
2014-2015: 1-50+, 2-40+ - Nash was 3rd in NHL
2015-2016: 1-50+, 3-40+

Now, in an era when it was significantly easier to score goals, Graves scored 40+ ONCE. In his best season. And let's break down that season.

1993-1994:

1 Player had 60+
8 / EIGHT Players had 50+
14 / FOURTEEN! Players had 40+

Graves had 52 and ranked 7th that year. His best season which he never sniffed again (his second highest goal total was 38).

Overall - 23 players scored more than 40 goals. In reference, the seasons I calculated above 26 players scored more than 40 goals over the course of 6 seasons! And most of those players are the same season in season out (Ovechkin, Perry, Stamkos, etc.)

Adam Graves was a great Ranger. He was integral to their cup and will forever be one of the most beloved in history. That being said, he is not a better goal scorer than Gaborik or Nash. He was never the focus of another team. He wasn't even the second best player on the team during his best season (Messier, Leetch, Zubov).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He was disruptive and dysfunctional (to some degree) but Fleury played 224 games for the Rangers and had 201 points (69 goals and 132 assists).

He was leading the NHL in scoring for a majority of the 2001 season until he entered the substance abuse program. He went out and then Richter tore his ACL going post to post against the Blackhawks in February and the season went to **** when Guy Hebert and Kirk McLean started fighting for the starting job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad