Best Rangers Free Agent Signing Ever

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Although I dont think this a UFA signing I thought it was a great move for the Rangers at the time.

Getting Ray Shepard for $1 USD from the Buffalo Sabres in 1990. He had 24 goals and 23 assists in 59 games for NYR. But as par for the course he was signed by the Red Wings the next year as a UFA where he had some great seasons including a 52 goal campaign.

KreiderHouseRules*

Although I dont think this a UFA signing I thought it was a great move for the Rangers at the time.

Getting Ray Shepard for $1 USD from the Buffalo Sabres in 1990. He had 24 goals and 23 assists in 59 games for NYR. But as par for the course he was signed by the Red Wings the next year as a UFA where he had some great seasons including a 52 goal campaign.

Yep, and helped The Panthers to the SCF against Colorado too, I believe.

Absolutely! a great post.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Adam Graves would have to be the best signing of the more modern-era NHL.

Gaborik was a great pick up post lockout.

One would have to consider Girardi in this conversation.

Guy has played more than 700 games for this team as an undrafted free agent signing.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Adam Graves would have to be the best signing of the more modern-era NHL.

Gaborik was a great pick up post lockout.

One would have to consider Girardi in this conversation.

Guy has played more than 700 games for this team as an undrafted free agent
signing.

Was thinking Girardi too, however you would also have to add him as a player who would qualify for both the best and the worst free agent signing! Last contract was a doozy!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Was thinking Girardi too, however you would also have to add him as a player who would qualify for both the best and the worst free agent signing! Last contract was a doozy!

True.

Whenever I think of Girardi I'm reminding of what Branch Rickey said about trading a player a year too early than a year too late.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Graves is and was what a NHL player in my eyes needs to be..
A warrior
A guy with Balls of Steel
hard worker with no the greatest skill set but never gave up

YES I love Adam Graves.. Funny how posters here show their age with not knowing the teams history because of their age lol to me Adam seems like just yesterday this Baby faced kid came to NY and took #11 as to honor Mark Messier yes kids go research it he was not a original #9 lol

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A warrior

YES I love Adam Graves.. Funny how posters here show their age with not knowing the teams history because of their age lol to me Adam seems like just yesterday this Baby faced kid came to NY and took #11 as to honor Mark Messier yes kids go research it he was not a original #9 lol

Graves is my favorite NYR player of all time. On and off the ice, a stand up dude.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
Adam Graves is the kindest and most genuine human being I've ever met in my life. I don't even care what he did on the ice, he will always be my favorite Ranger ever.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

Sheppard was a nice pickup. Graves kind of matched him here though, after he left, including his own 52 goal season.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
A warrior

The story I heard was Messier knew he was coming to NY and told Graves to hold 11 for him. Not sure if that's true, but that's a good trivia question....Last Ranger to wear 11 before Messier. Most people would say Kisio. :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This guy rarely gets mentioned but he was pretty darn good as a Ranger. He could really carry the mail for us.

Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, August 10, 2004.

160 games-49 goals-113 assists-162 points-Plus 43

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This guy rarely gets mentioned but he was pretty darn good as a Ranger. He could really carry the mail for us.

Signed as a free agent by NY Rangers, August 10, 2004.

160 games-49 goals-113 assists-162 points-Plus 43

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Nylander

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If Zucc can maintain the level he's played at for the next few years, he'll be another great UDFA signing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If Zucc can maintain the level he's played at for the next few years, he'll be another great UDFA signing.

Everything is relative but I think he already has been a great signing. I think anytime a guy you signed off the street as a undrafted FA can lead your team in scoring in 2 of the last 3 years that signing has done pretty well.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
A warrior

Adam Graves was the perfect Lieutenant to the Captain. I don't think there was ever such an effective leadership pair as Graves and Mess.

I had to pleasure of meeting him at the HHOF for Messiers induction ceremony. That ceremony was the who's who of the hockey world, and the after-party was even better. Legends of the game were there at every turn. From Lafontaine, to Sittler, to Jim Gregory, etc etc. Of all of the people there that night nobody made more of an impression then Adam Graves. Was just one of the classiest people I have ever met.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Nylander, Prospal and Zucc where all tops in my book since the 'first' lock-out

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
He was disruptive and dysfunctional (to some degree) but Fleury played 224 games for the Rangers and had 201 points (69 goals and 132 assists).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad