Best pound per pound fighter in the nhl

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
How do people define "pound for pound"? Honestly, right now it's still Ryan Reaves.

People tend to just look at a smaller guy and say "pound for pound" which makes no sense...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
871420578-e1513904327892.jpg

Reaves is 6'1 and around 225 lbs. Typically, when people use the term "pound for pound" it's in reference to a smaller than average guy who can still go with the best of them.

Ex 1. Bob Probert was the better overall enforcer, but Tie Domi likely would be the first choice as "pound for pound best fighter" during his team.

Ex 2. Deryk Boogaard was the better overall enforcer, but Rick Rypien was arguably the best "pound for pound" fighter.

So I don't think Reaves fits the description because he's neither short nor underweight (for a fighter).

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I dont know, maybe all the guys that have spent time beating him up.......LUCIC for one.

Do you understand what pound for pound means?

Milan Lucic is 6'3 236 pounds. Kevin Bieksa is 6' ~200 pounds. It would be embarrassing if Lucic lost to Bieksa.

Bieksa tears up guys in his own weight class and more than holds his own against bigger guys.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Reaves is 6'1 and around 225 lbs. Typically, when people use the term "pound for pound" it's in reference to a smaller than average guy who can still go with the best of them.

Ex 1. Bob Probert was the better overall enforcer, but Tie Domi likely would be the first choice as "pound for pound best fighter" during his team.

Ex 2. Deryk Boogaard was the better overall enforcer, but Rick Rypien was arguably the best "pound for pound" fighter.

So I don't think Reaves fits the description because he's neither short nor underweight (for a fighter).
If thats the case I'll go with 180lb Wayne Simmonds.

Reactions: snipetype

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I disagree with how pound for pound is looked at by most. Just because a guy is on the smaller size doesn't mean he's instantly in the P4P discussion. I like to look at guys and imagine they're all the same size, everyone, say 6'0'', 200 pounds. Who's style is the best? Who has the most power? Who's got the best stamina, etc.

Also, I liked Rypien, but he's not pound for pound the best anywhere. The guy was great against guys his size, and against god awful bigger guys, but had trouble with guys like Neil, Carkner etc. A guy like PJ Stock fits the bill if you're looking at size. He was undersized and fought pretty much all the big time enforcers much heavier than he was, and did very, very well.

Right now, the best two fighters in the NHL are Ryan Reaves and Milan Lucic, I'd say. Regardless, they're the two best pound for pound dudes. Guy's like Simmonds are good too, but rarely fight outside their league, lets say. Same goes for Bieksa. A guy like Michael Haley is in that class as well, however Haley often times fights outside of his height/weight.

Height and weight mean nothing to me when i'm looking into pound for pound.

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Probably in a few years when he fills out, but not there yet

Probably Reaves currently, Gazdic was a beast but hasn't played an NHL game yet this year

gazdic is a good fighter but he is big which hurts his pound for pound. simmonds is a good fighter and he has skinny minny little legs. He's not the best fighter in the league, but he is willing and he is pretty small so he gets my vote.

people asked how people define pound for pound ? its an offshoot of boxing where there are weight divisions and most would agree that the heavyweights would be able to kill lighter weights if they could catch them. so the best pound for pound fighters are generally guys with uncharacteristic power for their frames ( the idea being that if they would be bigger, their punching power would scale accordingly). Domi, who was small would be in the running for both the best pound for pound fighter of all time, as well as the one with the stiffest chin.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bieksa has better punching power and sparring skills. You think if Reaves lost 25 pounds of muscle mass he would be a good fighter?
100%. I absolutely disagree that he has more punching power than Reaves, too.

Bieksa is an above average fighter against the lower tier guys who he knows he's better than. The guy is incredibly overrated. He has two superman punch TKO's against a guy who loses much more than he wins (Gudas) and Andreoff (who's better than Gudas, but no real threat)

Bieksa - Eager (2009), Tootoo (2008), and Staubitz (2006) - Those are easily the toughest guys on his resume, and he lost, drew, and there's no data on the Staubitz fight.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is Tootoo still in the league?
Hes a good pick but hasnt played a game anywhere this year

Who at his best was still never as good as a Stan Jonathan, Tie Domi or Pj Stock.

Domi doesnt really belong in a pound for pound discussion. Guys like Stock sure, he was a legit middleweight. Domi you could say best short fighter? Domis playing weight was still ~215 lbs, so really only a 15 lb difference from Probert despite 8 inches shorter. He definitely isnt uch of a pound for pound guy, he was a heavyweight by weight

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Surprisingly, Bennett is a hell of a fighter. He’s beaten up Johansen, Trouba, and Manson, all guys way bigger than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad