Value of: Best offer for those players from Montréal

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The Canadiens already have a lot of picks to move bad contracts, trade up, etc. I don't see a desperate need to add a bunch more 2nd-rounders.

Barron: maybe he doesn't play above Reinbacher or Mailloux, but a team does need three RHD. Even if Barron isn't part of the Habs future I'd rather make him part of a package rather than settling for a 2nd-round pick.

Montembeault or Primeau: why would a playoff team with suspicious goaltending want to trade a 1st-round pick for someone who isn't an established #1 goalie and has no NHL playoff experience? If they are looking for a backup they can find someone this summer on the cheap.

Armia: not interested in retaining 50% and getting a 2nd-rounder and I don't think anyone would be offering the Canadiens that much this summer. If he plays this well next season he can be traded at 50% on an expiring contract and the Habs could get more than a 2nd-rounder.

But you can trade your future draft picks for more future draft picks. It’s like an endless cycle of draft picks, why wouldn’t you want that?

• Haha
Reactions: CTHabsfan

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This thread is embarassing.

Right now Barron is quickly on the road from prospect to suspect, and he'll be moved for a similar player looking for a fresh start. Berggren would be my hope right now, but I don't see anyone moving a 2nd for him at the draft (which is realistically when all trades discussed might happen). I'm thinking he'll be the 8th defenseman next season and he'll be a throw-in for a spare part if injuries don't hit the D-corps. He needs to step up or he'll be in Europe in 3 years.

Goalies? Neither Montembeault nor Primeau are worth 1st rounders, few goalies are. And why would Montreal be pawning them off when there are no other options for next season anyways?

Armia? The guy was on waivers recently. He's improved loads since then, but no one will give up much for him at this point. Getting out from under his contract while retaining 50% for a 2nd would be a huge win, like it was with Allen (where the return was a 3d). The only way Armia gets a 2nd is at the deadline, at 50%, when his expiring contract will be attractive, and that's if his play has been consistent from now until the 2025 deadline.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree with this. I think someone like Kaliyev fits that description.

A 2nd round pick is not going to make a dent. We have so many picks over the next 2 years that we need to focus on actual players (Draft + 3 / Draft + 4) with potential.
Why would LA want Barron & not Kaliyev instead of having Spence AND Kaliyev?

I could see them trading Kaliyev, but not for a waiver eligible RD not as good as Spence. But LA fans can correct me.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hughes already said he’s aiming to make the playoff next year and that he expect to be a buyer at the draft. I know these guys aren’t that valuable - if valuable at all - So might as well keep them and use them as depth. We can look at these names again near the 2025 TDL if we’re no where near a playoff spot

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why would LA want Barron & not Kaliyev instead of having Spence AND Kaliyev?

I could see them trading Kaliyev, but not for a waiver eligible RD not as good as Spence. But LA fans can correct me.
LA may be low on Kaliyev given he was healthy scratched numerous times and has not produced as expected. Same goes for Barron. The question is, does LA have a need for a young RHD at the expense of a young LW.

Reactions: pth2

Ledge And Dairy

Monty is 100% worth his contract, and he'd arguably be the second best goaltender available after Markstrom
Monty is a fine goalie for the Habs to keep since the aren't near contending, but he's at best a high end backup. No contender is going to spend a 1st on a 3M backup and no rebuilding team is going to spend a 1st on veteran goalie.

Also 2nd best? There is a very legitimate chance that at least 1 of Ullmark, Saros, Gibson, and Jarry is available this summer. Hell I'll throw Binnington in there too as he's had a great 2nd half of the season

• Haha
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If Primeau and Montembeault are so good that they are worth a 1st, why would you trade them?

If they are worth a 1st, 20+ other goalies are also, including Mrazek (better gaa and save % than Montembeault) and Nedeljkovic (same save % as Montembeault but better gaa).

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Monty is a fine goalie for the Habs to keep since the aren't near contending, but he's at best a high end backup. No contender is going to spend a 1st on a 3M backup and no rebuilding team is going to spend a 1st on veteran goalie.

Also 2nd best? There is a very legitimate chance that at least 1 of Ullmark, Saros, Gibson, and Jarry is available this summer. Hell I'll throw Binnington in there too as he's had a great 2nd half of the season
Lol. Lmao, even

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He's not even the clear starting goalie on the Habs, why would he be starter for a contender? If a contender is going to spend a 1st to get a goalie do you genuinely think they would do it on Montembeault or someone who has proven they can play more than 40 quality games a season
Never said he was worth a 1st but he's proven to be better than a high end backup. He's a legit starter.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'd pay a late 1st for Montembault if they threw in Evans or a similar value asset

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'd pay a late 1st for Montembault if they threw in Evans or a similar value asset

Evans ain't going anywhere
Montréal ain't in charity business, they are in the assets management business

Starting point for either of them would be a 1st, it's obvious that it will be a late 1st tho, since this is more adressed to playoffs teams with shitty or suspicious goaltending

If Primeau and Montembeault are so good that they are worth a 1st, why would you trade them?

If they are worth a 1st, 20+ other goalies are also, including Mrazek (better gaa and save % than Montembeault) and Nedeljkovic (same save % as Montembeault but better gaa).

If Chicago sells him Mrazek, the other teams can go for him, IDGAF, this thread isn't about him

• Haha
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad