Value of: Best offer for Tanev

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Alex Nylander is the most intriguing piece mentioned here so far. Duclair+1st basically ok as an offer but I'm not just that into Duclair. None of the Toronto offers intice me at ALL, we've been through that road so many times there's no scenario there.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
MIN may get eliminated in the first round. Duke's had a poor season but he's been scoring again once Tippett finally relented on putting him back on a line with a skilled playmaker (Domi). He should be able to produce for you if he were paired with Baertchi or Goldobin.

Mind you, I see no reason why the Canucks would trade Tanev, who is only 26 and on a good contract. Certainly don't see them trading him within the division if it came to it, either.

tanev is 27

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Because we suck.

We're going to waste his prime years miring in the league basement. For a contending team with a need on the backend, his deal is an asset.

And for a rebuilding team, that makes him one of our few tradeable assets.

And without him wont you stay in the basement even longer? Vancouver needs to unload its dead weight, reassess the team and see where their at. Hell the Canucks could get the #1 overall pick and have a nice piece to keep building around.

I've watched 2 Vancouver games (when they played Boston) but looking over the stat sheets, it looks like you guys have been decimated by injury and the Sedin twins haven't been providing the offense they need.

If you guys can unload the Sedin's at the draft (may need to retain a little) you'll have some cap space to play with in FA. Looking quickly with all the money coming off the book, it looks like you guys have roughly $17 million in cap space (before re-signing).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If AZ is picking 3rd and trying to decide between Vilardi and Liljegren and Vancouver is picking 4th, biting their fingernails and sweating about whether or not Liljegren is going to fall to them, I could definitely see a deal to be made. They get Liljegren and Duclair. We get Vilardi and Tanev. With some other picks and stuff sprinkled in. Like maybe Minny's 1st and Vancouver's 3rd or something like that.

I hesitate to do it. I value Duke so much more highly than most. It's tough. I think Duclair has another half dozen 20g seasons in him. But Tanev is the perfect fit for our D corps, IMO. And he's probably got another half dozen highly effective seasons left in the tank, too. It's fair value but my emotional investment in Duclair makes it tough to pull the trigger.

Im tired of being terrible though. Tanev helps us more to that end.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Alex Nylander is the most intriguing piece mentioned here so far. Duclair+1st basically ok as an offer but I'm not just that into Duclair. None of the Toronto offers intice me at ALL, we've been through that road so many times there's no scenario there.

I'm in the same boat. Duclair+Min's 1st isn't a bad offer, but it's close to the Kapanen/Leaf's first that was bandied about, and I really don't see us being better with multiple pieces.

Nylander from Buffalo got my attention.

As a Leaf fan, here is the only post i will make in this thread:

There is no deal that will work between the fans of the Leafs/Nucks.

This man needs to be canonized. St. Liferleafer.

If AZ is picking 3rd and trying to decide between Vilardi and Liljegren and Vancouver is picking 4th, biting their fingernails and sweating about whether or not Liljegren is going to fall to them, I could definitely see a deal to be made. They get Liljegren and Duclair. We get Vilardi and Tanev. With some other picks and stuff sprinkled in. Like maybe Minny's 1st and Vancouver's 3rd or something like that.

I hesitate to do it. I value Duke so much more highly than most. It's tough. I think Duclair has another half dozen 20g seasons in him. But Tanev is the perfect fit for our D corps, IMO. And he's probably got another half dozen highly effective seasons left in the tank, too. It's fair value but my emotional investment in Duclair makes it tough to pull the trigger.

Im tired of being terrible though. Tanev helps us more to that end.

So Arizona's 1st (3rd), Duclair, and Minnesota's 1st for Vancouver's 1st, 3rd and Tanev?

I mean the trade up of draft picks would be a hypothetical nice touch, but we're in the better draft position at present, have two games against a rival team that is objectively better, and this draft isn't anything spectacular.

I'd love to take a chance on Duclair, but I don't see a Tanev deal happening with him as the basis. What I've been stead fast in saying since Tanev became "available" was that we need one very strong future piece, not multiple less valuable pieces. I obviously won't as for Domi or anyone like that, but we'd have to move up from the riskier Duclair. I have no doubt he will be a fine player, but we need someone who could be a potential game breaker, as that is how we feel about Tanev.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Sabres will definitely be interested this off season and I think they have the pieces to make Vancouver interested. (Alex Nylander, Evander Kane, 2017 top 10 pick, etc..)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sabres will definitely be interested this off season and I think they have the pieces to make Vancouver interested. (Alex Nylander, Evander Kane, 2017 top 10 pick, etc..)

Almost a given that VanCity will be moving one of its d-men....but Tanev is a right-sider, while Edler and Hutton play on the left side....Canucks have more depth on the left-side in their system, so probably one of their left-side guys who gets moved.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Oh, I like Tanev! Great shutdown defenseman. As a Habs fan, I would offer: Petry (if he's willing to move his NMC) + Juulsen/Scherbak + 1st? I'm not sure that's enough, but it could be a starting offer!

dman34

May 6, 2011
I'm putting Alex Nylander on the table.

I would take that deal as a Canucks fan. We are in dire need of a few more quality young forwards. (Thanks JB) :shakehead

Tanev would improve the young Leafs defence considerably and he's only 27. A win for both sides.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I would take that deal as a Canucks fan. We are in dire need of a few more quality young forwards. (Thanks JB) :shakehead

Tanev would improve the young Leafs defence considerably and he's only 27. A win for both sides.

he said Alex not William, buffalo not Toronto

rt

May 13, 2004

Haha. The offer was for Alex Nylander. Not William. Not a snowballs chance in hellyoud get William. And that would absolutely NOT be a win-win for Toronto. Haha.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

You're enticed by Duclair and not Kappanen ? Do you even know that Kappanen is a PPG 20 yo in the AHL? What logic for Duclair > Kappanen considering your need is a top 6 scorer?

We can also include one of JVR, Leivo, Brown or a 1st, or any of these pieces combined.

rt

May 13, 2004
You're enticed by Duclair and not Kappanen ? Do you even know that Kappanen is a PPG 20 yo in the AHL? What logic for Duclair > Kappanen considering your need is a top 6 scorer?

We can also include one of JVR, Leivo, Brown or a 1st, or any of these pieces combined.

Duclair already scored 20g in the NHL as a rookie. Late in the year, he's finally now been able to overcome the worst coach in the NHL and is playing dynamite again. He's going to pot 20g next year. That's a promise.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Duclair + late 1st is ok but Kapanen + mid 1st doesnt do anything for you?

biased much ? :laugh:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

did you really think a leafs fan was offering a 60pt rookie for tanev?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Duclair already scored 20g in the NHL as a rookie. Late in the year, he's finally now been able to overcome the worst coach in the NHL and is playing dynamite again. He's going to pot 20g next year. That's a promise.

First of all, future is inherently uncertain. Second, So what? A lot of guys score 20 goals. Connor Brown is a 20 goal rookie for the leafs. We are suggesting Kappanen instead of Brown because he has more value.

oregonduck

Jan 27, 2008

Mayson Raymond scored > 20 goals...just sayin'

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
And without him wont you stay in the basement even longer? Vancouver needs to unload its dead weight, reassess the team and see where their at. Hell the Canucks could get the #1 overall pick and have a nice piece to keep building around.

I've watched 2 Vancouver games (when they played Boston) but looking over the stat sheets, it looks like you guys have been decimated by injury and the Sedin twins haven't been providing the offense they need.

If you guys can unload the Sedin's at the draft (may need to retain a little) you'll have some cap space to play with in FA. Looking quickly with all the money coming off the book, it looks like you guys have roughly $17 million in cap space (before re-signing).

By the time the Canucks can contend, Tanev will be out of his prime. We'll need to replace him anyway. This team desperately needs a burn-it-down rebuild. There's no other way at this point.

A healthy lineup was never going to save this team. Yah there's lot of man-game lost, but most of the players gone weren't much of a help. Dorsett? Gudbranson? Probably better off without them.

This team is not going to turn it around through FA. We suck. We're going to suck. Time to accept it.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
A lot of guys score 20 goals. Connor Brown is a 20 goal rookie for the leafs.

Only 90 of the 686 (13%) skaters who have scored a goal this season have at least 20 goals, while the league-wide average is 7.5 goals. Additionally, only 27 rookies have scored 20+ goals since 2010, so about only four rookies a year hit that level.

Last edited:

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
As a Leaf fan, here is the only post i will make in this thread:

There is no deal that will work between the fans of the Leafs/Nucks.

Well not according to the fanbases. Unfortunately the fans don't call the shots, management does.

I would rather move Edler but the chances of that are slim. Tanev will help any contending team in a huge way and could be a fall back plan if the Rangers are unable to land Shatenkirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad