Value of: Best offer for Tanev

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Choice of Carrick/Kapanen/Grundstrom + 2017 1st (currently 15OA)

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Choice of Carrick/Kapanen/Grundstrom + 2017 1st (currently 15OA)

Generous offer.

Tanev is a better player than he appears to be on paper. He has been paired with guys that need defensive babysitting and has had to do a lot by himself. If he went to a team with a good scheme he'd improve his numbers.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
We need a right handed defensive defenceman more.

I would also rather the trade you are suggesting but OP said something about a top 6 winger which Kapanen could possibly fit.

imo we need Kapanen filling in the hole when JVR goes. In either case Kap + 1st is too much.

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
Would a trade with Tampa for Johnson work? Or are Canucks looking for younger pieces?

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Would a trade with Tampa for Johnson work? Or are Canucks looking for younger pieces?

Younger but ideally a player of his Calibre or with potential.

The OP says for a winger which I disagree with entirely I would want either a younger RD with top four potential or a top 6 centre or prospect with potential. Depending on who these players are we would want draft picks to even out the value.

Last edited:

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
imo we need Kapanen filling in the hole when JVR goes. In either case Kap + 1st is too much.

Our defensive core desperately needs that right handed defensive defenceman and Tanev is probably the best/most realistic player in the league for that role for us. We can always try and re-sign JVR to a decent contract (if he is willing to), or give other young guys a chance to play there.

I don't think Kapanen and a late 1st round draft pick in a terrible draft is too much. It'll suck losing Kapanen but that's the cost of getting another quality player in return.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Ceci + 2nd.

Would you take Nurse for Ceci+2nd?

Oiler pairings for next season:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Ceci
Reinhart - Benning

I really like Nurse, but with Klefbom blossoming into a top pairing Dman this season, and Sekera having an incredibly consistent year at both ends and of the ice -- and BOTH of those two being signed long-term -- I don't feel there's going to be room for Nurse in the top-4, even though he very likely to at least be a very effective 2nd pairing Dman within the next couple of seasons if he gets those minutes, and certainly could be more. Ceci just fits better for us and what we need going forward.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Gotta wonder why you'd even want Subban. Just for his name? He's not PK and will never be PK, you know that right? He'll be lucky to carve out an nhl career at this point.

He's an AHL body that could potentially bump up to a bottom pairing D. He has next to no value, which is kind of the point with a throw in??

But keep being condescending

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
from boston id do

k miller
j hayes
debrusk
our first

i do think tanev is a bit underrated outside vancouver (but horribly overrated by many in vancouver) a first and a good prospect feels about right for a guy signed 3 years on a decent contract

i think tanev is good enough to protect krug... allowing mcavoy to break in with chara.... allowing carlo to come along at a more reasonable pace in bottom pair

Tanev

For

Zboril
Heinen
M.Subban

From Boston we'd probably have to start with looking at Frederic+. McAvoy is a non-starter, but aside from that, there isn't a really a super-enticing prospect at the centerpiece.

Frederic + Zboril/1st? Something around there, with added pieces balancing off.

JvR + choice of Leafs d prospect (Nielsen or Dermott)
for
Tanev + Virtanen

Nucks get a legit 1st line winger who's the same age of Tanev, and a solid d prospect to lessen the blow of losing a good dman.

Leafs get a pretty perfect d partner for Rielly, and Virtanen thrown in as a "why not" - probably a total bust at this point, but he does have good tools (strength/speed/shot), worth at least seeing if a change of scenery does something for him.

This just doesn't really make sense for Canucks. JVR just isn't going to change our fortunes. We're not good, and adding him won't make us good. He's a player a contending team would be looking to add.

Then after a season he walks? Just not much incentive for the Canucks. The JV "throw-in" is insult to injury.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
From Boston we'd probably have to start with looking at Frederic+. McAvoy is a non-starter, but aside from that, there isn't a really a super-enticing prospect at the centerpiece.

Frederic + Zboril/1st? Something around there, with added pieces balancing off

No thanks. I don't really think Boston would have a need for Tanev. We have Carlo, McAvoy is coming next season and we still have the Miller boys and McQuaid. I'd give you Koko's rights + EDM 2nd, maybe throw in Morrow's RFA rights as well.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No thanks. I don't really think Boston would have a need for Tanev. We have Carlo, McAvoy is coming next season and we still have the Miller boys and McQuaid. I'd give you Koko's rights + EDM 2nd, maybe throw in Morrow's RFA rights as well.

That's....really not doing it.

No deal to be made here.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
1-for-1 quality young forward piece of similar value or we keep Tanev. That's what I would do. We are under no pressure to trade him and it would open a massive hole if we do.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That's....really not doing it.

No deal to be made here.

That's my point, Boston doesn't have a desperate need for Tanev so we have no need to give up anything substantial. I honestly don't understand why Canucks fans want to trade Tanev so bad. He's only 26 and sign to a pretty team friendly deal, but there are numerous trade threads about him lol.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Honestly, I would love this guy on the Leafs. One of the best defensive defenceman in the league.

What are some comparable players who have been traded and what have been their return?

I'm fine with his lack of offense...let's face it, he brings no offense at all. But it's his proneness to injury that would worry me. Tanev is as close to a guarantee non-full season as you can get. If I were a GM, that is absolutely a consideration when it comes to what I'd be willing to part with in order to get him. That alone will make nuck fans hate whatever proposal I'd come up with because right or wrong, they're likely not going to consider his injury history when it comes to his trade value.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Its not bad, Pick is a little late basically a 2nd and Duclairs value IMO is low after the poor year he has had.

MIN may get eliminated in the first round. Duke's had a poor season but he's been scoring again once Tippett finally relented on putting him back on a line with a skilled playmaker (Domi). He should be able to produce for you if he were paired with Baertchi or Goldobin.

Mind you, I see no reason why the Canucks would trade Tanev, who is only 26 and on a good contract. Certainly don't see them trading him within the division if it came to it, either.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That's my point, Boston doesn't have a desperate need for Tanev so we have no need to give up anything substantial. I honestly don't understand why Canucks fans want to trade Tanev so bad. He's only 26 and sign to a pretty team friendly deal, but there are numerous trade threads about him lol.

Because we suck.

We're going to waste his prime years miring in the league basement. For a contending team with a need on the backend, his deal is an asset.

And for a rebuilding team, that makes him one of our few tradeable assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad