Best NYR team post-lockout

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
This is my first post on HF and although I've been reading for a while, I don't think I've seen this thread before.

What would be everyone's best line up of Rangers players post 05 lockout? i.e. a fantasy team based on their careers as a ranger as rather than their overall peak

I'm based in ireland so watching hockey full time is a bit of a struggle, I missed out on a lot of the 06-11 era for the most part but I'm trying to educate myself on the rangers teams and players from that era so looking forward to everyone's line ups :thumbu:

I'll get started (mine will be mainly from 2011 to present)

Jagr Stepan Nash
Zucc Brass Callahan
Hagelin Dubinsky Anisimov
Drury Boyle Avery

McDonagh Stralman
Staal Girardi
Del Zotto/Yandle Sauer

Lundqvist
Talbot (one of the best backup years in recent memory, proving to be a competent no.1)

Forward group is big and centre heavy , would probably lack speed. Nash is a controversial inclusion on the top line but I feel his overall play and sometimes forgotten contributions on scoring warrant his place. I also feel Brass and Steps are interchangeable but Stepan gets the nod for his superior defense and physicality although neither are particularly physical players.

The defence would have been rock solid with the top 4 in their primes, difficult to imagine after the year Staal and Girardi just had.

Anyone I'm missing? I'm sure there's a few, looking forward to seeing everyone's teams

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This is my first post on HF and although I've been reading for a while, I don't think I've seen this thread before.

What would be everyone's best line up of Rangers players post 05 lockout? i.e. a fantasy team based on their careers as a ranger as rather than their overall peak

I'm based in ireland so watching hockey full time is a bit of a struggle, I missed out on a lot of the 06-11 era for the most part but I'm trying to educate myself on the rangers teams and players from that era so looking forward to everyone's line ups :thumbu:

I'll get started (mine will be mainly from 2011 to present)

Jagr Stepan Nash
Zucc Brass Callahan
Hagelin Dubinsky Anisimov
Drury Boyle Avery

McDonagh Stralman
Staal Girardi
Del Zotto/Yandle Sauer

Lundqvist
Talbot (one of the best backup years in recent memory, proving to be a competent no.1)

Forward group is big and centre heavy , would probably lack speed. Nash is a controversial inclusion on the top line but I feel his overall play and sometimes forgotten contributions on scoring warrant his place. I also feel Brass and Steps are interchangeable but Stepan gets the nod for his superior defense and physicality although neither are particularly physical players.

The defence would have been rock solid with the top 4 in their primes, difficult to imagine after the year Staal and Girardi just had.

Anyone I'm missing? I'm sure there's a few, looking forward to seeing everyone's teams

I would swap Callahan with Anisimov and replace Anisimov with Gaborik.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Is this in general or the peak seasons of each player?

Based on their NYR careers...so take a Dan Boyle who is clearly past his peak during his tenure in NYC. he wouldn't make it based on that but overall in his prime he would i.e. back in his Tampa days. So this team is based on their NYR careers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
not sure about Sauer or Del Z over Klein

DEl Z was always high-risk, high-reward
not sure I'd even pick him over Roszi, Kaspar or Tyuts

Klein's arrival steadied the whole D framework

loved Sauer, but he was just rounding into a regular, when his lazy, Hagelin chin-strap let Phaneuf end his career (the opinion of an NYR staffer i happened to meet once - wear it properly, the helmet doesnt move, the helmet bears the main impact)

up front, of course Gabi, I like Arti, and Avery was a Jekyll/Hyde thing some great stretches but also frequently some nothing or some sideshow

Last edited:

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath

loved Sauer, but he was just rounding into a regular, when his lazy, Hagelin chin-strap let Phaneuf end his career (the opinion of an NYR staffer i happened to meet once - wear it properly, the helmet doesnt move, the helmet bears the main impact)

up front, of course Gabi, I like Arti, and Avery was a Jekyll/Hyde thing some great stretches but also frequently some nothing or some sideshow

Klein was a tough one, I really like him but I wasn't sure just how good Sauer was (I've only seen a handful of his games). I thought it'd be interesting to see what the reaction would be to Klein's omission.

Those guys you mentioned, Kaspar and tyuts, were they regulars? any comparables on todays team?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Just wondering because Girardi was an All-Star one year and then last year...

Yeah I think overall Girardi deserves his legacy to be one of a good, probably very good, NYR defenceman, although last year may be all people remember for a while

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I think Rozsival probably deserves a spot over Klein, DZ and Sauer...

mti79

May 11, 2007
Nash-Nylander-Jagr (if only for the Jagr connection)
Zucc-Brassard-Gaborik
Hagelin-Drury-Callahan
Boyle-Betts-Ortmeyer (need PK'ers)

Prucha, Dubinksy

McD-G
Staal-Rosey
Tyutin-Klein

Kaspar

Hank
Talbot

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
How do you think the PP would look on the team? 1st unit?

Id be tempted to put Straka on the team.

PP Units:

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Brass - Rozsival

Zucc - Brassard - Gaborik
Stepan - McD

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Nash Stepan Jagr
Zucc Brassard Gaborik
Hagelin Dubinsky Callahan