Best Leafs trade?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I like the Winnik trade because we got a prospect who is already in development and whose potential we can actually measure, as opposed to the unknown possibilities of draft picks.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Best value? Polak. Best for the team moving forward? Phaneuf. Cleared out plenty of cap space after next year. Still hard to believe we didn't have to retain. That contract is awful.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Best trade was Winnik and its not even close. You cleared his cap next year, you get a 2nd, then you get a D prospect with mid pairing potential. This is a kid you would have to likely blow a mid / late 1st rd pick on. Anyways no contest.

Second best trade is Polak and Spalling, followed by Dion, Reimer and lastly Mathias.

The Dion trade wasn't really that great now that Cowen is confirmed without potential. Michalek could net a return next year.

PAP was the greatest trade that never was. Lou knows he got burnt on that puppy but how could anyone complain really. He did amazing.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Polak because I think the Sharks are on the downswing and those could be 2 mid-second round picks

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lots of varying opinion in here. I like it.

I went with Phaneuf trade because there is no way that I thought they could have got rid of him and they didn't retain any money.

They get a 2nd round pick, a solid prospect and they'll be out of the contracts that they took back next year.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Oh for sure, I just think the 2nd and Carrick who is further along, with far less bust risk puts it at the top.

That's how I feel. The Leafs would be lucky to get a guy with the upside of Carrick, with the 2 second round picks from the Sharks.

So right now, it's the Winnik trade but further down the road it might be one of the other picks that end up making one of the other deals better.

While I have total faith in this management group's ability to turn those picks into assets, they are just picks right now. A bird in the hand and all that jazz.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to make a choice, would you keep Carrick or the two 2nd round picks?

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Winnick trade because I don't think you can look at the Polak/Spaling or Reimer trades independantly. That was one trade that took place over two events.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
1. Winnik - Liked Carricks game a lot watching the Marlies play Hershey, plus we got a 2nd THIS draft. Also got Laich who could potentially turn into another pick next deadline... We got assets for now and the future.

2. Phaneuf - Got rid of a bad contract, Grabbed a good prospect in Lindberg (Not as good as Carrick IMO), and grabbed a 2nd for next year. Michalek could have some value next season as well so it has potential to be better than the Winnik one. Cowen & Greening hold this down for me right now.

3. Polak - Great trade for us, just don't like how the picks are 2 and 3 drafts away.

To be honest, I kind of think that the picks being 2017 and 2018 is better for the Leafs than if they had both been this year. Not only are the Sharks probably better now that they will in two years (so these picks will be a bit earlier). But this way the team can have 'sustainable growth,' to use a business term.

Now we can go into drafts in 2017 and 2018 already stocked with draft picks, but don't need to tank the season or sell off rentals each year to do it. This means that if the team becomes a contender in a few years time, we will still be getting young reinforcements from the players we select with those 2nd rounders.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Winnick trade because I don't think you can look at the Polak/Spaling or Reimer trades independantly. That was one trade that took place over two events.

I totally agree with this view of the SJS trades. Seems like the low, low price on Reimer was a way to even things out after everyone criticised Doug Wilson for overpaying on Polak/Spaling.

I know it's been said, but it's very similar to how the great return we got for Kaberle was to compensate for the fact that we paid too much for Kessel.

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
I totally agree with this view of the SJS trades. Seems like the low, low price on Reimer was a way to even things out after everyone criticised Doug Wilson for overpaying on Polak/Spaling.

I know it's been said, but it's very similar to how the great return we got for Kaberle was to compensate for the fact that we paid too much for Kessel.

You may be right but it seemed to me that the Reimer deal was probably negotiated at the same time as Polak/Spalling... I seemed more like take this half of the deal now and if I can't get more for Reimer soon I'll accept the other half

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's how I feel. The Leafs would be lucky to get a guy with the upside of Carrick, with the 2 second round picks from the Sharks.

So right now, it's the Winnik trade but further down the road it might be one of the other picks that end up making one of the other deals better.

While I have total faith in this management group's ability to turn those picks into assets, they are just picks right now. A bird in the hand and all that jazz.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to make a choice, would you keep Carrick or the two 2nd round picks?

Hard to say about the two picks. If he plays at a high level over 20 games maybe you do? A top 4 D is hard to get.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Phaneuf trade was nice, but Winnik's trade was exceptional work.

A 2nd + Carrick is just amazing especially after looking at what sellers received for their players.

I think one of the underrated factors of this trade is that it seems we've also picked up a really solid dressing room vet in Laich to help with the kids next year. That presence can not be understated, and just listening to his interview he seems stoked to be here (probably not entirely as he left a serious contender).

If he brings his super hot wife around a little it can't hurt either! :naughty:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Removing Phaneufs contract was a BIG BIG positivr for us. It's not at all an "exciting" trade, but I think it could have the biggest impact.

He has five more years at 7M, FIVE years after this one. He's already declined to being a #3 guy, and I wouldnt be surprised if he noticeably declined further within 2 years, leaving them 3 years at 7M with a #4-6 guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Moving Phaneuf allows the team to move forward.

Sure it changes direction but the return wasn't some huge thing. They'll be spending a lot of real dollars to make it happen. If they had to they could still make Dion work here, it was just better not to.

Value on trade is the Winnik deal.

Winnik was free to get. UFA

Polak cost us Gunner and a 4th + cap retention.

Think about it.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Sure it changes direction but the return wasn't some huge thing. They'll be spending a lot of real dollars to make it happen. If they had to they could still make Dion work here, it was just better not to.

Think about it.

The return wasn't some huge thing?!?

The return on Phaneuf was, no retention of salary, plus a good prospect and a 2nd rounder.
That no retention is huge - it's the same value as a low first round pick, IMHO. Phaneuf's decline and value was at least 2.5 mil below his salary, and sweet Lou Lou lemon used our huge advantage (lots of cap space) to our advantage to be able to get that return by taking on other expiring bad contracts.

You can't even compare moving a Phaneuf and getting real value for him, to those other players . . . since all of those other players - some of whom we got very good return on, for sure - were EASY TO MOVE. No no-trade clauses . . . not severely overpaid . . . and no big restructuring necessary to fit them in.

Phaneuf's situation was by far the most complicated deal to make, with the least amount of options, and the highest chance to be looked at negatively by the fans. And sweet Lube job greased the Sens here, and did it all with no retention.

No retention.
Got a 2nd rounder, which could be in the higher range.
Got a decent prospect.

That to me is an A+ trade.

And that's no offense to the Polak return, or the Winnik return, which was awesome. But the degree of difficulty cannot even be compared.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Think about it.

4 years of 7M freed capspace IS part of the trade return. Its not just a 2nd + Lindberg, but what we do with that capspace from 2017-2021 that makes up what we received for Phaneuf.

Think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad