Best Leafs trade?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
4 years of 7M freed capspace IS part of the trade return. Its not just a 2nd + Lindberg, but what we do with that capspace from 2017-2021 that makes up what we received for Phaneuf.

Think about it.

I did. It's a good trade and Lou didn't do any bad ones. I am just saying that at the root of it all Winnik cost nothing to acquire, and brought back a potential 4D prospect and a 2nd. Sure we take L. And his 2m over Winniks cap next year but that is nothing at all for a prospect like that and pick. The 5th is whatever, who cares.

I am just saying this is the most bountiful trade of the bunch.

The Dion angle works for the cap but only if you think Dion was completely worthless as a player. Dion has been doing very well for them I must say. He has improved Ceci and calmed their 2nd pairing. So it's not like we just dumped Clarkson. A valuable asset out. 12m in garbage back, 2nd which is nice and B prospect which is ok at best. They don't spend to the cap anyways and will owe him 22 or so million for 5yrs service of real dollars. It works for them and us both. We still spend 12m or whatever on a steaming pile regardless.

Maybe it's that I look at this from the business perspective. The fan perspective is always different.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
You may be right but it seemed to me that the Reimer deal was probably negotiated at the same time as Polak/Spalling... I seemed more like take this half of the deal now and if I can't get more for Reimer soon I'll accept the other half

5 days apart from each trade. I don't see this logic at all.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Phaneuf by a mile.

I would have traded assets to see him gone vs. the gains we got trading the others.

Phaneuf trade is right there with the Clarkson trade for me. I don't hate him btw, but I just didn't like him as our captain and he was a bit overpaid and a bit of an albatross for our future.

What a relief to see him go for me.

Polak/Spaling trade was very good. Bigger picture though :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad