Best "half seasons"

211*

well obviously stats dont mean that much all the time if crosbys season is below henrik sedins lmfao

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Why is Ovy's half season up at 52 games? IIRC he had a better P/G through 41.

I think he had 65 points in his first 41 games in 2010, which was a lower PPG (1.59) than he had thru 52 games.

If anyone finds an error with, better PPG for, or missing player-season, please indicate the player, season, and games (e.g. Jones '05 first 41 games or games 15-57). I will then verify that and amend the lists.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I think he had 65 points in his first 41 games in 2010, which was a lower PPG (1.59) than he had thru 52 games.

If anyone finds an error with, better PPG for, or missing player-season, please indicate the player, season, and games (e.g. Jones '05 first 41 games or games 15-57). I will then verify that and amend the lists.
Nevermind, I saw him behind one of Sid's seasons and thought it was Crosby's 2011, not his 2007. Carry on.

Edit- Your username makes this especially humorous.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Not a half season but an impressive run from an unlikely guy:

Alexander Selivanov 99-00

19 GP, 17g 5a

Then proceeded to score 10 goals in the next 48 games

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
It matters a lot. The point of 50 in 50 is pretty much to show what it was like when there was only 50 games in a season.

Neely scored 50 goals in 44 games, and only played 49 on the season.

I find it hard to argue the 50-in-50 team games argument against him validly.

The ONLY reason it exists is Richard fanboys propping up his achievement against other players.

I think the NHL needs to recognize the 40-in-20.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Neely scored 50 goals in 44 games, and only played 49 on the season.

I find it hard to argue the 50-in-50 team games argument against him validly.

The ONLY reason it exists is Richard fanboys propping up his achievement against other players.

I think the NHL needs to recognize the 40-in-20.

No, the reason it exists is because players in the 50 game season era weren't able to make up for the games they missed. The only way to score 50 goals, you had to do it in your team's 50 games (unless you're traded to a team that played less games than the former team).

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't understand. Why does it say best half seasons and then proceed to list many stat lines with players over 41 games? 52 games is not a half season...

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I don't understand. Why does it say best half seasons and then proceed to list many stat lines with players over 41 games? 52 games is not a half season...

For each player-season, it's whatever stretch of 41+ games yields the highest PPG. It seems the fairest way, since 41 games within a season is really an arbitrary number.

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
The reason Crosby's 2010 WAS that impressive is because he dominated every inch of the ice, showing a dedication to defense and better overall play that he hadn't shown yet in his career. It was the most consistently dominant I'd seen any player play in my entire life, points be damned.

Exactly, how many players can say they scored at that rate while playing an all-around game? That's not even considering the wingers he had to work with.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Exactly, how many players can say they scored at that rate while playing an all-around game? That's not even considering the wingers he had to work with.

I'm assuming you haven't seen Gilmour, Fedorov and Yzerman play in their primes, have you?

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
I'm assuming you haven't seen Gilmour, Fedorov and Yzerman play in their primes, have you?

On top of those names, I would gladly take Francis, Lindros, or Forsberg's all-around games over Crosby's, and the last two are ahead of Crosby's half season streak in this very thread.

Crosby's half season was awesome, and totally dominant. It puts him in the mix with a bunch of the elite all-time players. It does not, in any way shape or form, stand on it's own. Forsberg in the early 2000's, Lindros in the mid 90's, Fedorov in the early 90's, and ya, Gilmour too, were just as, if not more, full-ice dominant than Sid was. And, if you want to focus on just offense, the Gretzky, Jagr, Lemieux triad is still well above anyone else.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The raw offensive numbers Crosby produced were very impressive, but they were never the whole story.

When you consider the differences in scoring for era, linemates (how many on that list were flanked by Dupuis and Kunitz calibre offensive players when they put up those numbers?), and all-around play, his performance in '10-'11 was at least as impressive as any skater since '95-'96.

And putting up the best season for a skater in 15 years is remarkable.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The raw offensive numbers Crosby produced were very impressive, but they were never the whole story.

When you consider the differences in scoring for era, linemates (how many on that list were flanked by Dupuis and Kunitz calibre offensive players when they put up those numbers?), and all-around play, his performance in '10-'11 was at least as impressive as any skater since '95-'96.

Well i wholeheartedly disagree.

Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr

Well above Crosby.

Sakic, Forsberg, Ovechkin and others are in the same tier and can be argued as good/better. Crosby's half season is pretty fast closing in the "most overrated feat" title on HF.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well i wholeheartedly disagree.

Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr

Well above Crosby.

Sakic, Forsberg, Ovechkin and others are in the same tier and can be argued as good/better. Crosby's half season is pretty fast closing in the "most overrated feat" title on HF.

Oh well. I put a lot of stock in the idea that if Crosby had wingers with the talent and production of Straka, Kovalev, and Lang to play on a regular line with instead of Kunitz and Dupuis, he'd have matched the half-season numbers Mario and Jagr put up post-'96 pretty handily.

Having two wingers who flirted with 100 points (4th and 6th in league scoring) and another flirting with a PPG is just a little different than having two players who hit their respective career highs of 60 and 48 a half-decade earlier. Can you imagine if Crosby had two Top 10 NHL scorers flanking him in '10-'11 instead of those fire hydrants?

Last edited:

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011

On top of those names, I would gladly take Francis, Lindros, or Forsberg's all-around games over Crosby's, and the last two are ahead of Crosby's half season streak in this very thread.

Crosby's half season was awesome, and totally dominant. It puts him in the mix with a bunch of the elite all-time players. It does not, in any way shape or form, stand on it's own. Forsberg in the early 2000's, Lindros in the mid 90's, Fedorov in the early 90's, and ya, Gilmour too, were just as, if not more, full-ice dominant than Sid was. And, if you want to focus on just offense, the Gretzky, Jagr, Lemieux triad is still well above anyone else.

I've been watching hockey since the 70's, however I stand corrected. I just think Sid's half season is still one of the better ones on this list, even if he has a season of his own in 2007 where he scored more points through 41 games. At the time of his injury he was leading the league in goals, was possibly 2nd in assists, 1st in points by a longshot, close to the top of the league in faceoff percentage, and all-around play.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
For each player-season, it's whatever stretch of 41+ games yields the highest PPG. It seems the fairest way, since 41 games within a season is really an arbitrary number.

Well 41 games is not arbitrary when we are talking about best half seasons, since that's exactly what 41 games is, a half season... I don't know, I guess I just don't get it :laugh:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

It wasn't the best season though, not even close. Maybe the best half season, but not close to the best season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad