Best Glove Hand Ever

GummoMarx

Oct 11, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Certainly not the best ever, but Mike Vernon during his prime Calgary days, falls as an honourable mention. The split save breakaway vs the Canucks in '89.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Brodeur and Roy are up there.

MAF is one of the best right now.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i've read that tony esposito had one of the best. i wonder whether this has anything to do with the fact that he caught right (like fuhr). i.e., shooters often go high blocker side because it's harder to save than high glove side, and maybe players just instinctively shot at the top right hand corner against espo and fuhr?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Fuhr, Roy, Vernon, Joseph already mentioned..

I think Felix Potvin also had a very good glove hand.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Posted in the stickied Intangibles thread, from a 1994 NHL coaches poll in the St Louis Post-Dispatch:

Best Goalie Glove Hand
1. Curtis Joseph (17) 2. Patrick Roy (3) 3. Bill Ranford (2).
Others: (1) Grant Fuhr, Andy Moog, Felix Potvin, Mike Vernon.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
While Roloson may not have one of the best ever, hes got a sharp hand and has had a few dandies over the last 5yrs

Like the double overtime save on Jonathan Cheechoo in 2006? If the Sharks score there the series is 3-0 and probably over.

The first man I thought of after reading this thread was Fuhr. Potvin was good for a short string, but Fuhr always had that glove hand his whole career.

I agree with another poster that Fleury has the best one in the NHL today

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Id' be going with Fuhr on this one as well. Then theres the ambidextrous Bill Durnan. :huh:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE!

Did I mention Grant Fuhr? no, ok.

FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE! FUHR-SIE!! FUHR-SIE!

TrickyRicky

The Magic Man
Aug 6, 2010
YYZ
I wont say best glove hand or anything, but I think best glove save Ive ever seen was Ken Wregget against Geno Cavallini (mightve been Paul, was a while ago) in the playoffs in the mid 80's. Ah the good old Norris Division.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...the ambidextrous Bill Durnan. :huh:

Durnan. He must have made more glove saves than anyone!

Anyone have a picture of the palm side of his gloves?. Ive been trying to figure out how he caught the puck without seriously painful repercussions. The fronts appear to be the old style armored but flexible mitt style blockers. Did he just redirect the puck with the front side of the blocker which would normally be a catcher?. The catching gloves of that era admittedly had a pretty small & shallow pocket of course, but still, surely he didnt just grab incoming pucks with what was basically about 1mm of leather & all five fingers?. Even with a heavily padded "mitt" or "glove" youve got no basket to absorb the impact & your giving added daylight to the shooter; a blocker cumbersome & not exactly aero-dynamic where speed is critical.. This is pre-slapshot, but a good hard wrist shot even from a straight blade?. Broken fingers, a numb hand for the rest of the game & likely for days. The guy mustve played in a World of Hurt. :cry:

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Shooting Angles.

Anyone have a picture of the palm side of his gloves?. Ive been trying to figure out how he caught the puck without seriously painful repercussions. The fronts appear to be the old style armored but flexible mitt style blockers. Did he just redirect the puck with the front side of the blocker which would normally be a catcher?. The catching gloves of that era admittedly had a pretty small & shallow pocket of course, but still, surely he didnt just grab incoming pucks with what was basically about 1mm of leather & all five fingers?. Even with a heavily padded "mitt" or "glove" youve got no basket to absorb the impact & your giving added daylight to the shooter; a blocker cumbersome & not exactly aero-dynamic where speed is critical.. This is pre-slapshot, but a good hard wrist shot even from a straight blade?. Broken fingers, a numb hand for the rest of the game & likely for days. The guy mustve played in a World of Hurt. :cry:

My understanding was that he didn't have to catch the shot. Durnan would switch the stick from side to side to gain advantages at times on wingers coming off each wing, playing the percentages RHS/LHS.

Also made for interesting posed photos.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Also made for interesting posed photos.

Ok. So he basically just played the angles L/R shooter & deflected it with whatever he could get on the puck, preferably into the corners, straight down so he could pounce on it, or heck; over the caging & into the stands so long as it didnt wind up in the net huh?. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad