Best big ticket free agent contracts?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's 50/50 whether you get an ok deal out of the contract, though there are only a few slam dunks
Some good/decent examples - Looking at 7mil contracts with term, post lockout
- Pietrangelo is an example of a good contract, Vegas won the cup and Pietrangelo was a part of that
- Chara was an elite signing for the Bruins
- Maybe Kovalchuk as well if he didn't go back to Russia
- Bobrovsky is overpaid, but hasn't been bad per se
- Brian Campbell was a decent #2 dman for what he signed for
- Dougie Hamilton TBD

The rest are mediocre to downright horrible
- Karlsson won the Norris, but just one good season doesn't make up for it
- Johnny Gaudreau is looking mediocre right now, but it's early
- Tavares was good for years 1-5, but not good enough. Maybe it would have been ok if the Leafs actually had playoff success
- Ryan Suter and Parise were both bought out in the middle of the contract and were not close to worth it
- Brad Richards was bought out early in the contract
- Scott Gomez sucked and was bought out
- Chris Drury sucked and was bought out

Drury’s knee got f***ed up, if I recall correctly, not that that changes anything. What about Briere? Always liked him more, and he was a beast for Philly in playoffs. Often hurt, but I’d say that worked ok.

I have some sympathy for what Leafs were trying with Tavares, feels a bit 20/20 hindsight to say the playoff failure makes it a bad deal.. but it’s also Tavares. Maybe they shoulda known not to make that bet.

Reactions: DaveG

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So looking at all of this. It's really interesting a lot of UFAs to be get traded and re signed. I don't count those or if you re sign your existing UFA.

Then we have to add big ticket players. That really narrows the list down.

Pavelski
Panarin
Pietrangelo

Are my top 3 or the Top Ps

Hamilton - seems to be a big part of the Devils and him being out since November has gotta hurt. Gotta see more
Brobovsky - did Help Florida get to the finals last year. Definitely an overpayment but I feel like he's important to mention

Just to name some extra contracts

zach Hyman - great contract but would not call it high profile
Lindholm - Boston/Anaheim trade - great contract but does not meet requirements

Duds

- covid ruined the cap structure and Tavares and Karlsson unfortunatly were overpaid. Neither was bad but neither deserve to be considered a top contract signing.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Are Rangers fan bipolar? Last year after the playoff 99.9% of rangers fans were terribly dissapointed with Panarin performance and wanted him out and now he is back in form and he is the greatest.

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Are Rangers fan bipolar? Last year after the playoff 99.9% of rangers fans were terribly dissapointed with Panarin performance and wanted him out and now he is back in form and he is the greatest.
NHL fans of all teams, especially so on HF Boards, usually only use the last 20 games to provide current evaluations on players.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad