Best and worst trades in team history?

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Bure and Jagr were acquired via trade

I didn't get that either.

Not the best or worst, but acquiring and trading Ozolinsh have to be up there.

Kevin Adams, Brett Hedican, Tomas Malec + conditional 2nd
for
Ozo and Byron Richie

Ozo and Lance Ward
for
Cullen, a Trashcan, and a pick that amounted to squat

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
For me, the best is acquiring Luongo back from Vancouver and the worst was trading him to Vancouver. That trade set us back years and it's sad to think about that if we had Lu in his prime what could have been achieved. Hopefully the next couple of years we'll be able to laugh at those bad years.

Other honorable mentions for the best for me are trading Parrish and Kvasha for Luongo and Jokinen, acquiring Jagr from the Devils, and Olesz for Campbell.

For an honorable worst mention, trading Barnes and Woolley for Wells was the beginning of the bad times in my opinion. The Bure trade got local fans excited again for the team, but it didn't turn out well in the end as no playoff games were won and then we endured years of misery.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
primadonna Lu had to be traded but the fact that they could have gotten Thornton but ownership wouldn't let them take on the cap still doesn't sit well. Imagine if Florida had Joe Thornton the last 10 years

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hi,

I've lurked here for years and years, but had to write on this one. By far, the worst trade was Barnes and Woolley for Chris Wells.

We were an amazing team up until that trade. We made the Finals and had the best record at the All-Star Break. Barnes and Woolley were part of the heart of this team. As a fan, I looked forward to seeing them play. Barnes and Woolley were productive NHLers until 2008 and 2006, respectively. After the trade we were not the same team. We faded over the next few seasons and only now seem to be emerging.

Chris Wells never played for another NHL team after us. He had 7 goals -- total. He bounced around leagues and didn't even stick in the AHL. The trade never made sense. He had 4 points in 54 games with the Penguins before we acquired him for a massive overpayment.

The full story goes beyond the statistics and includes a changed locker room that could not perform at the same level as before the trade. The Wells trade was the worst, IMO, and it's not even close. We were winners before the trade, and losers after it.

Parrish and Kvasha for Jokinen and Luongo was the best trade we made. We got a point-per-game top-line center for years in Jokinen and one of the best goaltenders in the league in Luongo, both about to enter the most productive years of their careers. Jokinen had 39 goals and 91 points in 2006-07. Luongo is still playing at an all-star level. We gave up Kvasha, who played a few more years with OK statistics and was out of the league after 2004 and Parrish. Bringing in the most productive center and very best goaltender in our history is the best trade we made.

Claiming Ray Whitney was the best waiver move. Frolik was the worst waiver loss.

Frolik was traded to Chicago for Skille.

Very nice first post.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Hi,

I've lurked here for years and years, but had to write on this one. By far, the worst trade was Barnes and Woolley for Chris Wells.

We were an amazing team up until that trade. We made the Finals and had the best record at the All-Star Break. Barnes and Woolley were part of the heart of this team. As a fan, I looked forward to seeing them play. Barnes and Woolley were productive NHLers until 2008 and 2006, respectively. After the trade we were not the same team. We faded over the next few seasons and only now seem to be emerging.

Chris Wells never played for another NHL team after us. He had 7 goals -- total. He bounced around leagues and didn't even stick in the AHL. The trade never made sense. He had 4 points in 54 games with the Penguins before we acquired him for a massive overpayment.

The full story goes beyond the statistics and includes a changed locker room that could not perform at the same level as before the trade. The Wells trade was the worst, IMO, and it's not even close. We were winners before the trade, and losers after it.

Parrish and Kvasha for Jokinen and Luongo was the best trade we made. We got a point-per-game top-line center for years in Jokinen and one of the best goaltenders in the league in Luongo, both about to enter the most productive years of their careers. Jokinen had 39 goals and 91 points in 2006-07. Luongo is still playing at an all-star level. We gave up Kvasha, who played a few more years with OK statistics and was out of the league after 2004 and Parrish. Bringing in the most productive center and very best goaltender in our history is the best trade we made.

Claiming Ray Whitney was the best waiver move. Frolik was the worst waiver loss.

I thought Frolik was sent to Chicago for Skille? EDIT : ShootIt beat me to it.

There are days I miss Jokinen (in his prime)..even though we almost made the playoffs with Ballard and Boyton, I thought that trade didn't really pay off the way we wanted. That duo went downhill pretty fast.

...But hey we did snag a first from Vancouver when we shipped Ballard..

Last edited:

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I agree with the Wells trade being the worst. Trading away Luongo is the second worst.

First trade for Luongo and trading for Jagr are the two best. Briand Campbell trade is third best. The Bure trade is fourth best. The actual trade was good, but the attempt to build around him was bad.

FA: Letting Bouwmeester walk without trading him was a bad move.

FA: Signing Bolland was a bad move.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I agree with the Wells trade being the worst. Trading away Luongo is the second worst.

First trade for Luongo and trading for Jagr are the two best. Briand Campbell trade is third best. The Bure trade is fourth best. The actual trade was good, but the attempt to build around him was bad.

FA: Letting Bouwmeester walk without trading him was a bad move.

FA: Signing Bolland was a bad move.

We did trade Bouw's rights for a third and Leopold's rights.

Obviously was a meh return for a player of JayBo's talents, but Leopold wasn't a bad D-man.

I didn't mind not trading him due to the Panthers still being in the playoff hunt, but didn't like his sulking after the TDL

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
For me, the best is acquiring Luongo back from Vancouver and the worst was trading him to Vancouver. That trade set us back years and it's sad to think about that if we had Lu in his prime what could have been achieved. Hopefully the next couple of years we'll be able to laugh at those bad years.

Other honorable mentions for the best for me are trading Parrish and Kvasha for Luongo and Jokinen, acquiring Jagr from the Devils, and Olesz for Campbell.

For an honorable worst mention, trading Barnes and Woolley for Wells was the beginning of the bad times in my opinion. The Bure trade got local fans excited again for the team, but it didn't turn out well in the end as no playoff games were won and then we endured years of misery.

The lesson (hopefully) learned was that having a superstar goal scorer is awesome to see and enjoy, but eventually the team may lean too much on them and not pick up the slack if that player falters or not enough talent will be put around them. Without Bure being Bure in the playoffs, there wasn't much for the Panthers throw at the Devils.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hi,

Maybe thinking of Grabner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad