Best and worst logo in the NHL?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Yeah, that picture of some First Nations dude really just screams out awesome logo, am I right?

Actually I think the Blackhawks pay for the right to use the name and if any changes are made they have to run them by the native council first. Same thing with the Seminoles, it is not seen as a disrespectful symbol being used and the names are not disrespectful, it's actually the name of native tribes associated with the respective areas, and they are paid for the privilege of being able to use that name. Teams like the Redskins or the Cleveland Indians either have names or logos wholly disrespectful to an entire population, and should be done away with.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Worst - Winnipeg and Columbus
Best - Florida, Chicago

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Leaving my Flyers out of this:

Best:
1) Blues
2) Rangers
3) Current Leafs (not a fan of the new one coming for next year; this will become the Bruins or Habs)

Worst:
1) Senators (I am sorely tempted to just list this three times. The 3D Sens logo is awful, whereas the 2D was average to good)
2) Canucks (Doesn't really have anything to do with the team; it's just a logo for the sake of being a logo)
3) Wild (An overwrought mess)

white galaxy*

worst hurricanes , dumbest looking thing ever . but coyote head n panther real weak too . flames lames , oh jets is
real stupid looking . oh look its a jet how cool :shakehead . devs :help:
some one gotta tell devs n wild that green white red look like pizza delivery uni's

* i love this thread :D

best , theres alot . leafs , nucks , sharkes , hawks , nyi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Anaheim and LA are by far the two worst for me, followed by Dallas and Arizona. Not sure why the Ducks and Stars think the "D" looks good in either of theirs. LA's is horribly boring, and Arizona isn't as bad as the other three, they really just need a new color scheme.

I think pretty much everyone else's is mostly okay. Vancouver would be better if they took their city name out of theirs.

Some of my favorites would be the Islanders and New Jersey, I think both of them are pretty classic and nice.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
worst hurricanes , dumbest looking thing ever . but coyote head n panther real weak too . flames lames , oh jets is
real stupid looking . oh look its a jet how cool :shakehead . devs :help:
some one gotta tell devs n wild that green white red look like pizza delivery uni's

* i love this thread :D

best , theres alot . leafs , nucks , sharkes , hawks , nyi

you do realize the Devils haven't used the red, white and green logo in over two decades, right? :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Leaving my Flyers out of this:

Best:
1) Blues
2) Rangers
3) Current Leafs (not a fan of the new one coming for next year; this will become the Bruins or Habs)

Worst:
1) Senators (I am sorely tempted to just list this three times. The 3D Sens logo is awful, whereas the 2D was average to good)
2) Canucks (Doesn't really have anything to do with the team; it's just a logo for the sake of being a logo)
3) Wild (An overwrought mess)

actually no buddy, please do some research, it doesn't have nothing to do with the team, however it represents the Geographic location of Vancouver, so is the color scheme. It really does represent the city and province.

anyways,

worst logos for me,
Toronto maple leafs , Hurricanes and Ducks.

I never liked the Leafs logo once, not sure how is "toronto maple leafs" inside a leaf is a nice looking logo.

best logo. none other then Pittsburgh Penguins. how epic is a penguins with hockey stick??!!!!!!

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
actually no buddy, please do some research, it doesn't have nothing to do with the team, however it represents the Geographic location of Vancouver, so is the color scheme. It really does represent the city and province.

anyways,

worst logos for me,
Toronto maple leafs , Hurricanes and Ducks.

I never liked the Leafs logo once, not sure how is "toronto maple leafs" inside a leaf is a nice looking logo.

best logo. none other then Pittsburgh Penguins. how epic is a penguins with hockey stick??!!!!!!

Not as epic as a penguin with a hockey stick AND a scarf.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Actually I think the Blackhawks pay for the right to use the name and if any changes are made they have to run them by the native council first. Same thing with the Seminoles, it is not seen as a disrespectful symbol being used and the names are not disrespectful, it's actually the name of native tribes associated with the respective areas, and they are paid for the privilege of being able to use that name. Teams like the Redskins or the Cleveland Indians either have names or logos wholly disrespectful to an entire population, and should be done away with.

Fair point. But the fact that some Native American group is willing to take money from the Blackhawks in order for the Blackhawks to feel 'ok' about their logo, doesn't actually mean that everyone else has to think of it as 'ok', nor could it possibly mean that any and every Native American gives approval of the logo.

As I said, I think it's a great looking logo. But it's a really outdated concept (to put it nicely) and no new pro-level sports team today would ever be allowed to wear something like that.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Ranked (without Montreal as there could be obvious bias)

Detroit
Boston
Chicago
Toronto

St Louis
New Jersey
Calgary
NYR
Arizona
Buffalo
Philadelphia

San Jose
Pittsburgh
Washington
Ottawa
Edmonton
NYI
Colorado

LA
Vancouver
Florida
Winnipeg

Tampa Bay
Nashville
Columbus
Carolina
Minnesota
Dallas
Anaheim

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Fair point. But the fact that some Native American group is willing to take money from the Blackhawks in order for the Blackhawks to feel 'ok' about their logo, doesn't actually mean that everyone else has to think of it as 'ok', nor could it possibly mean that any and every Native American gives approval of the logo.

As I said, I think it's a great looking logo. But it's a really outdated concept (to put it nicely) and no new pro-level sports team today would ever be allowed to wear something like that.

They aren't paying "some Native American group" they are paying the Blackhawk nation of Chicago for the right to use their name and likeness. The logo is a representation of a chief in traditional native garb. Its not some stereotypical smiling "Redman", the name is not the equivalent of calling them a racist slur. Its the same as Montreal calling itself the Canadians, or NY calling itself the Islanders, or any other team which digs into local background and heritage to find a name the people who live there may call themselves. They don't do the tomahawk chop, they don't make ohh ohh ohhohh sounds during the game. They are respectful and actually help the local population rather then exploiting them. That's why when you have rallies and petitions to change team names there are always a few omissions. Could someone feel slighted, well sure someone always feels slighted about something, but considering how taken advantage of native people have been through the years asking permission and bending to cultural sensitivities is a good thing that should be applauded.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Best: Flyers, Blues, Devils, Sabres
Worst: Capitals, Blue Jackets, Senators

I don't like the Canadiens and Blackhawks logos, I really never understood why people think they are so great. Just middle of the pack stuff to me. Out of the original six teams, I would say that the Wings and Bruins have the best logos.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Best Logo: [Insert my team here]

Worst Logo: [Insert the team(s) I despise the most here]

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Hard to say, something like
worst: TB, Ottawa, Dallas, LA
best: Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Philly

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
They aren't paying "some Native American group" they are paying the Blackhawk nation of Chicago for the right to use their name and likeness. The logo is a representation of a chief in traditional native garb. Its not some stereotypical smiling "Redman", the name is not the equivalent of calling them a racist slur. Its the same as Montreal calling itself the Canadians, or NY calling itself the Islanders, or any other team which digs into local background and heritage to find a name the people who live there may call themselves. They don't do the tomahawk chop, they don't make ohh ohh ohhohh sounds during the game. They are respectful and actually help the local population rather then exploiting them. That's why when you have rallies and petitions to change team names there are always a few omissions. Could someone feel slighted, well sure someone always feels slighted about something, but considering how taken advantage of native people have been through the years asking permission and bending to cultural sensitivities is a good thing that should be applauded.

You make some fair points. I also still disagree with much of what you're saying. I still stand by my points and suggest that this wouldn't fly for a new team today. I do think it's better that they've tried to compensate people for the name and image. But I still don't think it's anything to be proud of. I could go on and on. But perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Last I checked, and I'll readily admit that was a while ago, the orca logo was adopted because the Canucks used to be owned by Orca Bay Entertainment, and whether there are orcas in British Columbia or not, whales aren't Canucks. When the team ownership changed, the logo stopped making sense, and as a result, I think it's a fairly weak logo.

The color scheme, on the other hand, is great. No objection to that.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
You make some fair points. I also still disagree with much of what you're saying. I still stand by my points and suggest that this wouldn't fly for a new team today. I do think it's better that they've tried to compensate people for the name and image. But I still don't think it's anything to be proud of. I could go on and on. But perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

Yeah, I don't see either of us changing the others mind. I do agree that a new team would never think of entering the league with a name or image representing people today.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Love Original logos ..Kings crown ,Hawks and Pens ...Dislike Minny...Bring back North Stars :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad