Best American Center Right Now

Who is the best American center right now?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Keep moving the goal posts about Matthews point totals, it's what people like you are good at. After Matthews rookie season when he got 69 points the talk was how he didn't get 70 points. Now that Matthews gets 80 points you keep brining up more numbers to keep discrediting him.
Didn't you just post Eichel never scored 40 goals? Your post is ironic. Another reason I would take Eichel is he is a better playmaker, A primary role for Centers to me, and you can go down the history of the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, all primarily have been good playmakers. Eichel has a season high of 56 assists on a much weaker team last year. Much weaker talent wise than Matthews has played with. Matthews career high in assists is 36. Eichel is more complete as a Center in terms of goals and assists production.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't you just post Eichel never scored 40 goals? Your post is ironic. Another reason I would take Eichel is he is a better playmaker, A primary role for Centers to me, and you can down the history of the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, all primarily have been good playmakers. Eichel had 56 assists on a weak team. Much weaker talent wise than Matthews. Matthews career high in assists is 36. Eichel is more complete as a Center in terms of goals and assists production.
If Eichel is supposed to be a top #1 Centre like you say he is, shouldn't he have scored at least 40 goals right now? It's something Matthews has done twice in his career. Hell his 40 goals as rookie was the most since Alex Ovechkn's 56 goals during his rookie season in 2005-06. So when you mention some stupid number that Matthews hasn't got 82 points despite him getting 80 points this past season, it's being very petty of you since that's some random number you made up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews, but we can argue Matthews or Eichel until the end. No one else belongs in the debate. America has its best generation of centers since at least Modano and Roenick.

I prefer Matthews due to how he has fit in a relatively successful team and is arguably the best finisher in the league at 5v5. I get if you prefer Eichel playmaking and skating though. It may be biased, but for the long-term picture I would only swap Matthews for McDavid. His gamebreaking ability immediately transformed our team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn't you just post Eichel never scored 40 goals? Your post is ironic. Another reason I would take Eichel is he is a better playmaker, A primary role for Centers to me, and you can go down the history of the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, all primarily have been good playmakers. Eichel has a season high of 56 assists on a much weaker team last year. Much weaker talent wise than Matthews has played with. Matthews career high in assists is 36. Eichel is more complete as a Center in terms of goals and assists production.

Great individual players who have great teammates that put up great stats to help their team win in pursuit of a championship is what team sports is all about... that's what real context is. That's what Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman and Sakic all had.

No one cares about putting up nice scoring totals while having poor teammates. There's no badge of honour there.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Eichel is supposed to be a top #1 Centre like you say he is, shouldn't he have scored at least 40 goals right now? It's something Matthews has done twice in his career. Hell his 40 goals as rookie was the most since Alex Ovechkn's 56 goals during his rookie season in 2005-06. So when you mention some stupid number that Matthews hasn't got 82 points despite him getting 80 points this past season, it's being very petty of you since that's some random number you made up.
You have already established that Eichel has not scored 40 goals in a season, and I have established Matthews hasn't hit Eichel's 82 points. This is your logic. I think it was silly when you brought up Eichel never has scored 40 when he has 36 in 68. But Let's move on.

Now a question for you, would you not say a primary asset in the role of a Center thoughout the history of the game is playmaking. Look at the greatest Centers to have played the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier, Gilmour, all up there in NHL points for the history of the game. All cup winners.

Isn't being a more proficient playmaker a big tipping point when voting in this poll. And again, I am not arguing with people who voted for Matthews here, since it is close enough to choose either player, but you are arguing with people that pick Eichel. Can you answer the question? Who of these great Centers of the game are not good playmakers? Making players and teammates better is pretty important in the conversation of who is better and winning championships.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You have already established that Eichel has not scored 40 goals, and I have established Matthews hasn't hit Eichel's 82 points.

Now a question for you, would you not say a primary asset in the role of a Center thoughout the history of the game is playmaking. Look at the greatest Centers to have played the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier, Gilmour, all up there in NHL points for the history of the game. All cup winners. Isn't being a more proficient playmaker a big tipping point when voting in this poll. And again, I am not arguing people who voted for Matthews here, since it is close enough to choose either player, but you are arguing with people that pick Eichel. Can you answer the question? Who of these great Centers of the game are not good playmakers? Making players and teammates better is pretty important in the conversation of who is better.
Obviously Matthews has got a lot better at his playmaking since his rookie season. However generally Centre's like Matthews and Eichel are first judged on the goals they score. So when did the bar becomes 82 points since that is Eichel's career high for Matthews to reach. Why doesn't Eichel try and reach Matthews season high of 47 goals?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Making players and teammates better is pretty important in the conversation of who is better and winning championships.

Maybe Jack Eichel should use this superior ability to actually get his team into the playoffs.

Seems like Matthews is actually the better one at elevating his teammates when you look at the bigger picture.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Obviously Matthews has got a lot better at his playmaking since his rookie season. However generally Centre's like Matthews and Eichel are first judged on the goals they score. So when did the bar becomes 82 points since that is Eichel's career high for Matthews to reach. Why doesn't Eichel try and reach Matthews season high of 47 goals?
You didn't address my question. Going to try one more time tonight, if you want to avoid it, fine, but I am not going to chase for an answer tonight.

Would you not say a primary asset in the role of a Center thoughout the history of the game is playmaking. Look at the greatest Centers to have played the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier, Gilmour, all up there in NHL points for the history of the game. All cup winners. Eichel has that advantage over Matthews right now. It is a primary reason why I voted for him. People are allowed to have differing opinions on a hockey board right?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Maybe Jack Eichel should use this superior ability to actually get his team into the playoffs.

Seems like Matthews is actually the better one at elevating his teammates when you look at the bigger picture.
Eichel is lucky enough to be surrounded by very talented players like a #1 pick in Dahlin and a #2 pick in Reinhart. Matthews is stuck playing with crappy Leafs players. Eichel has by far the better supporting cast.

Still can't get his team to the dance. Even when pretty much everyone gets an invite.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You didn't address my question. Going to try one more time tonight, if you want to avoid it, fine, but I am not going to chase for an answer tonight.

Would you not say a primary asset in the role of a Center thoughout the history of the game is playmaking. Look at the greatest Centers to have played the game. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Trottier, Gilmour, all up there in NHL points for the history of the game. All cup winners. Eichel has that advantage over Matthews right now. It is a primary reason why I voted for him. People are allowed to have differing opinions on a hockey board right?
Matthews does have playmaking ability when you see him make a pass like this on a goal by Mitch Marner. So yes it's an important role.

Now will you answer my question about Eichel having to reach Matthews season high of 47 goals, because that's another important factor #1 Centre's like him need to achieve if they want to have team success.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He was on the Canadian list.

Couturier, Tyler Myers and the Foligno brothers, are all US born children of Canadian parents.
These players chose the country they wanted to play for. Nick Foligno plays for the US, while
Marcus' mom, made him promise on her deathbed, that he would play for Canada.

Weird though is Brett Hull of Belleville, ON, and Bryan Trottier of Climax, SK, playing for the US.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

but not defense or FO%, which are also aspects C's have to have.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Couturier, Tyler Myers and the Foligno brothers, are all US born children of Canadian parents.
These players chose the country they wanted to play for. Nick Foligno plays for the US, while
Marcus' mom, made him promise on her deathbed, that he would play for Canada.

Weird though is Brett Hull of Belleville, ON, and Bryan Trottier of Climax, SK, playing for the US.

Brett Hull is a weird one. His mom is an American and his Dad played a lot of Bretts youth in Chicago. Maybe he did it for his mom. He also played Canadian Junior and Us College Hockey lol.

Has he ever explained why he played for the US anywhere?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Brett Hull is a weird one. His mom is an American and his Dad played a lot of Bretts youth in Chicago. Maybe he did it for his mom. He also played Canadian Junior and Us College Hockey lol.

Has he ever explained why he played for the US anywhere?
From what I have read online in 1986 Hull was passed over by Canada to play on their World Hockey Championship team that year. So the Americans invited him to join their team and that's why he played for them at the international level.

Brett Hull - Wikipedia

As a dual Canadian and American citizen, Hull was eligible to play for either country internationally. While playing at UMD, he was passed over by officials with Team Canada when they selected their roster for the 1986 World Ice Hockey Championships. However, the American national team invited him to join their squad. Hull accepted and led the team in scoring with 7 goals and 11 points for the sixth place Americans. Hull later said the faith shown in him by American officials gave him the confidence to excel in his career.[49] He played with Team USA for the rest of his career, and at the 1986 Calgary Cup tournament, played a pivotal role in a 5–3 upset of Canada by the Americans. Following the game, he said "I don't feel more like an American than a Canadian. I just want to play."[50]

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Alright, who voted for stastny?

In retrospect i wish i had. 2 main arguments:

1. Vegas 86 points, Tor 81 and Buffalo less. Clearly Stastny = team success

2. Stastny has been good enough to earn game time in 945 career games. Thats more than the other 2 combined. Conclusion: He's more of a legitimate NHL'er than they are.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Since when?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
In retrospect i wish i had. 2 main arguments:

1. Vegas 86 points, Tor 81 and Buffalo less. Clearly Stastny = team success

2. Stastny has been good enough to earn game time in 945 career games. Thats more than the other 2 combined. Conclusion: He's more of a legitimate NHL'er than they are.

NEVER produced at the same level as they have.
I bet they reach 800pts in a game#, much sooner than Stastny.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Matthews does have playmaking ability when you see him make a pass like this on a goal by Mitch Marner. So yes it's an important role.

Now will you answer my question about Eichel having to reach Matthews season high of 47 goals, because that's another important factor #1 Centre's like him need to achieve if they want to have team success.

One impressive pass doesn't tell you a player is a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad