Best American Center Right Now

Who is the best American center right now?

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why would you believe that has more of impact than the loads more of PP time / overall TOI he receives more than Matthews?

Accompanying that boon is the fact that he is the primary and only legitimate forward threat that opposing teams have to key on.

But hey, if you're saying that Buffalo has more depth than Toronto, then consider me enlightened.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Talent. On Buffalo.

I'm saying Toronto is a much better team than Buffalo.
Going into Eichel's rookie season I remember the talk was how it was far ahead of Toronto's because of Eichel and them trading for Ryan O'Reilly.

People seem to forget that Matthews played his rookie season with William Nylander or Connor Brown at different times and Zach Hyman. They were also rookies at that same time.

Reactions: Voight

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Going into Eichel's rookie season I remember the talk was how it was far ahead of Toronto's because of Eichel and them trading for Ryan O'Reilly.

People seem to forget that Matthews played his rookie season with William Nylander or Connor Brown at different times and Zach Hyman. They were also rookies at that same time.

So Toronto isn't a better team than Buffalo?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Accompanying that boon is the fact that he is the primary and only legitimate forward threat that opposing teams have to key on.

But hey, if you're saying that Buffalo has more depth than Toronto, then consider me enlightened.

Meh, I'm not convinced. The PP time / TOI is by far the biggest factor in production. Linemates is very subjective.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

A puckhog like Eichel doesn't necessarily benefit from a guy like Marner or Nylander.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Eichel and matthews are basically equal right now. Both fringe top 10 players. I have AM34 9th and Eichel 10th. This is not a AINEC situation both are the games young elite. I do have to say that America lack quality depth in centers. Matthews and Eichel are great but after than they dont have a guy like Stamkos/JT/MacKinnon who could destroy third line on a national team behind 97 and 87

Reactions: DomBarr

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I do have to say that America lack quality depth in centers. Matthews and Eichel are great but after than they dont have a guy like Stamkos/JT/MacKinnon who could destroy third line on a national team behind 97 and 87

While I agree, we just had 3 guys drafted in the top 10 at center last year, including the 1OA. And with Matthews and Eichel, we probably don't need any superstar centers for the next ten years. Larkin is another pretty good option, and he's the same age as those guys. The depth isn't great, but it doesn't need to be and its likely at least one guy not yet in the NHL or in their first year or two likely will turn into a 1C. I'm not that worried. We'll likely be able to fill out a depth chart of four high-end centers in 2022 and almost certainly 2026.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I voted Matthews but Eichel could win this and I would have 0 problem with it. Both are spectacular players and you couldnt go wrong with either.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
While I agree, we just had 3 guys drafted in the top 10 at center last year, including the 1OA. And with Matthews and Eichel, we probably don't need any superstar centers for the next ten years. Larkin is another pretty good option, and he's the same age as those guys. The depth isn't great, but it doesn't need to be and its likely at least one guy not yet in the NHL or in their first year or two likely will turn into a 1C. I'm not that worried. We'll likely be able to fill out a depth chart of four high-end centers in 2022 and almost certainly 2026.
True completely forgot about Hughes being American. He should be a ppg player atleast so will probably be slightly below current JT/Stamkos level. Him as the third line center really strengthens the US center position. Plus turcotte and zegras are two other guys I forgot to consider who can be great players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad