Speculation: Berube the next Leafs coach?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Keefe is Tres man until the team says otherwise. And Tre didn't go out of his way to give Keefe a multi year extension if he had serious concerns about Keefe's future with the team
He didn’t see anybody better available last summer and gave Keefe a chance. Maybe Shanny likes him. That doesn’t mean Keefe’s job is safe if they have another first round exit. That would be five playoffs with one series victory to show for it. He’s the easiest change to make with the hope to improve the team.

If Shanahan can't identify how bad Keefe is as a coach, nobody can or will convince MLSE to remove Keefe.
Shanny will be gone too if they don’t win at least one round.

Reactions: Hellcat

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Random posters on a third tier messaging board > professionals who work directly with said individual seeing their day to day habits and routines first hand and understanding the shortcomings of the organization and what role that person played in it occurring.
4 Top 15 paid players in the NHL. Largest operational budget in the NHL...

Explain to me the playoff success' we've had under Keefe. Please be descriptive.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He didn’t see anybody better available last summer and gave Keefe a chance. Maybe Shanny likes him. That doesn’t mean Keefe’s job is safe if they have another first round exit. That would be five playoffs with one series victory to show for it. He’s the easiest change to make with the hope to improve the team.

Shanny will be gone too if they don’t win at least one round.
I'd speculate that Keefe needs at least two rounds and even then, it might have to be a good showing as well.

I'd also speculate that they were looking to discuss Shannys fate last offseason but after the shitshow they had to keep him on and grab Tre.

Now that Tre is here I'm not sure what sense it would make to remove Shanny until Tre reaches his judgement year? And if that's the case I think that is the 25/26 season - reasonably enough time to clean up the mess and play out a season post 11M JT. So I'd expect Shanny gets an additional year after this one and could remarkably keep his post past that if things keep trending well.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I believe it. He’s a former leaf, old school guy. Has been on a lot of Leafs based podcasts the past two months. I think he is def angling and positioning himself to be in line for the job.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I personally think Rod Brind’Amour is the right choice. I think you wait and see if Carolina is stupid enough to low ball him and when Rod walks you jump all over it. Him or Cooper

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I personally think Rod Brind’Amour is the right choice. I think you wait and see if Carolina is stupid enough to low ball him and when Rod walks you jump all over it. Him or Cooper
Friedman said in one of his 32 thoughts pieces, rod the bods contract is pretty much all but done there.

Reactions: Ciao

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
How are we talking about this when there are ZERO indications that our current coach will be fired?

If the leafs win one round (as underdogs...and they WILL be underdogs). Keefe's job is safe. book it. He may even be given an $11 million raise.

I don't think any free agent coach will be waiting around for the leafs to make any decisions. I'm sure Berube will have a job somewhere before the Leaf job is vacant.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

In a Bruce Garrioch column from yesterday, he wrote "There's a lot of talk among league executives that Berube is the top candidate in Toronto if the Leafs make an early exit."

Obviously whatever exactly an "early exit" means, it's not unlikely given the playoff path. Most GM's like to pick their own coach as well. Feels like a plausible scenario.

poor boo-boo he's just so short-sighted

Guy Boucher might be first in line and If Quennville gets the nod to return he'd be first in line, or if possibly Cooper gets let go or steps down he'd be another guy ahead of Berube

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

In a Bruce Garrioch column from yesterday, he wrote "There's a lot of talk among league executives that Berube is the top candidate in Toronto if the Leafs make an early exit."

Obviously whatever exactly an "early exit" means, it's not unlikely given the playoff path. Most GM's like to pick their own coach as well. Feels like a plausible scenario.

My pick for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad