Line Combos: Bertuzzi replaces Mantha on the PP

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
What a mess this organization is right now. Team struggling to score goals and win games? Take your leader in goals and power play points off the power play. What a great plan.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
CAN we please for the love of god fire this piece of trash. When we are as bad as we are at least play the kids and the players that should be playing. Wanna put Bert on the pp fine do it but not at the expense of one of our young stars in mantha. Stop playing AA on the 4th line don’t care if he isn’t the best defensive forward we literally struggle to score and are completely boring to watch why play a kid who can generate offense 10 minutes a night. Sick and tiRed of this bs

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
What a joke, I have no problem with moving Mantha from the net front. But to take him off completely from both PP units when he is the leader in PP points makes no sense. Maybe Blash thinks he's somehow motivating him with this move. But I would think he's getting tired of Blash singling him out.
Time to remove Blash from the bench! This is a classic example of Blashill mismanaging young talent. Every player with the exception of maybe Larkin has regressed under Blashill. How much longer do we have to watch this **** show. No wonder LCA is so empty. 3rd in attendance my ***

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Blashill's ridiculous decisons continue. He's right about one thing, Mantha should not be a net-front PP guy, something your average fan has been preaching all year. To take him off the PP is laughable though. He has the best shot on th team, yet he's taking him off the PP altogether. Hahaha.

I cannot wait for next season. I would love to hear what guys like Mantha and AA truly think of Blashill. Would love to have a couple beers with them, and hear their true feelings of Blashill.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Mantha has not exactly been lighting the world on fire, but quit singling the kid out. He is our most productive guy on the PP. I would be willing to bet Mantha has a better compete level when he is scoring and having fun instead of being Blashills whipping boy game in and game out.

Everyone who has played competitive sports knows it sucks playing for a coach you hate if you are not winning all the time.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I will believe it when I see it. This reeks of Mantha's fourth-line "demotion" from last week. I have already watched that movie and know how it ends.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i know i was complaining a lot about manthas recent outings in the game day thread, but he's still my favorite player and a real gud talent. I'm afraid that blashhill broke this guy, he really singles him out with his actions. The red wings need to fire this gum chewing clown ASAP before he does more damage

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
i know i was complaining a lot about manthas recent outings in the game day thread, but he's still my favorite player and a real gud talent. I'm afraid that blashhill broke this guy, he really singles him out with his actions. The red wings need to fire this gum chewing clown ASAP before he does more damage
I don't buy it, he wasn't broken before Thanksgiving.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I don't buy it, he wasn't broken before Thanksgiving.

right, he started the season in convincing fashion, but the season was still relativley young and maybe he was playing without any concern. Since then, Blashhill has singled him out where others get a free pass, moved him around and so on. Either mantha is more dependant on a healthy, supportive enviroment than others, or the brawl in calgary has something to do with it.

Or maybe its just speculation and the guy is reading this and laughing his ass off

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Maybe keep Bert in a net-front type role and actually utilize mantha’s shot:help:
Agreed.

Bert in a net front role isn't a bad idea, but not at the cost of Mantha on the PP.

Why do you think he's been wasted as the net front guy? He's been pretty good from what I see.

It doesn't play to his strengths. Mantha's got great size but that's not reason enough to put him in the net front. He's got a great shot. Net front should be someone with a knack for redirection and ugly goals.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Blashill has been terrible since he arrived. Mantha hasn't been playing as well since the end of November. The more younger players are "coached" by Blashill the more irrelevant they get. He has Mantha in the wrong spot on the PP. He should be utilizing his shot. Babcock made guys like Jurco and Sheahan look like promising Nhlers. Blashill has done nothing to improve the younger players. He needs to go. Get a interim coach until offseason. And have the new GM find a good coach and start to fix this mess.

Reactions: turkleton85

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Agreed.

Bert in a net front role isn't a bad idea, but not at the cost of Mantha on the PP.

It doesn't play to his strengths. Mantha's got great size but that's not reason enough to put him in the net front. He's got a great shot. Net front should be someone with a knack for redirection and ugly goals.

i like the idea of trying bert in a netfront role as well.

Its really puzzling why mantha is not used as a shooter on the PP. He has good passing, amazing reach and a good shot, very intriguing skills for the powerplay unit. And on the PP he would have enough space for his shot, during 5on5 he rarely gets enough space for it.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I really doubt this is a long-term move, it probably wont even last an entire game knowing Blashill. Perhaps losing his power play spot to a grinder will light a fire under Mantha. If good play, production and effort is rewarded with PP time then Mantha doesn't deserve to be there right now. Mantha has not been good lately, it's good for him to learn that it's not ok. Obviously, like so many others here, it does piss me off that this no-nonsense way of handling an under-performing player is not utilized equally with all of our under-performing players.

Positive of this? Hopefully Bert shows he can contribute on the PP and gains a little confidence, he's looked good these last two games and I'm glad he's getting rewarded.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Agreed.

I disagree. He's leading the forwards in PPP and hes BY FAR the best option for that spot. Who are we going to put there that wont be a total waste of space? Abby? No more Datsyuk to shoot pucks off of him. Everyone else gets manhandled down low.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I disagree. He's leading the forwards in PPP and hes BY FAR the best option for that spot. Who are we going to put there that wont be a total waste of space? Abby? No more Datsyuk to shoot pucks off of him. Everyone else gets manhandled down low.

Abby and Bert? Sounds fine to me.

Tampa has Namestnikov as net front. But they actually utilize him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad