Player Discussion Bertuzzi and Domi

Should Treliving do whatever it takes to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi?

• Total voters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It took them a while to hit their offensive stride on our team, but Bertuzzi and Domi have become integral players among our core group of forwards, and they both provide a physical element that was previously lacking. Based on our salary cap situation and what both players are likely to command in the open market, it seems unlikely that we can afford to keep both of them unless other forwards are moved in the off season.

If you were Treliving, would you do whatever it takes to re-sign both of them to long term contracts at fair market value?

My answer is yes, and I would start by dumping the salaries of Jarnkrok, Kampf and Reaves.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
It took them a while to hit their offensive stride on our team, but Bertuzzi and Domi have become integral players among our core group of forwards, and they both provide a physical element that was previously lacking. Based on our salary cap situation and what both players are likely to command in the open market, it seems unlikely that we can afford to keep both of them unless other forwards are moved in the off season.

If you were Treliving, would you do whatever it takes to re-sign both of them to long term contracts at fair market value?

My answer is yes, and I would start by dumping the salaries of Jarnkrok, Kampf and Reaves.
I agree with dumping others and making it work with Bert and Domi but not overpaying for them

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I would go with not re-signing Brodie and let Samsonov sign somewhere else as well. Give Woll more time and resign Jones. Then pick up cheaper option through trade for goalie or free agency. That would save enough cap to resign Domi+Bertuzzi.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd go 5 million for 4 years for bertuzzi and 3.5 milliion for 4 years for domi. If we can get them both for 8.5 mill or under we really should extend both.
That would be ideal, but I think it's going to cost a bit more on the AAVs for both of them.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
5.5 for Bertuzzi and 4 million for Domi. I would go with three year contracts.
That's more or less what I had in my mind. Hopefully that will be enough to get both deals done.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's really tough to bring both back and upgrade the defense, it's a case of us getting priced out most likely.

I could see Domi taking 3x3 to stay...he gets some long term security at a reasonable cap hit.

Bertuzzi, I flat out think we can't afford to keep him.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It's really tough to bring both back and upgrade the defense, it's a case of us getting priced out most likely.

I could see Domi taking 3x3 to stay...he gets some long term security at a reasonable cap hit.

I agree with you. I could be wrong but what makes sense for the team and Domi/bertuzzi might not exist. We could bring both back but then there won’t be money to upgrade the defense.

I can see Domi staying and Bertuzzi signing a long term deal else where. I think the playoffs will play a big factor on what they get this year.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

If Bertuzzi wants more than 5.5 I say let him walk. We could use the money for defenseman and possibly cheaper option at free agency for forward.

Reactions: CincoHolio

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree with you. I could be wrong but what makes sense for the team and Domi/bertuzzi might not exist. We could bring both back but then there won’t be money to upgrade the defense.

I can see Domi staying and Bertuzzi signing a long term deal else where. I think the playoffs will play a big factor on what they get this year.

If Bertuzzi wants more than 5.5 I say let him walk. We could use the money for defenseman and for giving McMann 2-4 year contract.

I think Domi we could do 3 years 3-3.5M but I would really try to squeeze for 3M

Bertuzzi...I am going to be surprised if he hits 5.5M again but I think the term is going to get interesting, I'd like 3-4 years in the 4.5-5M range

Edmundson...what's that contract cost? Minimal offense...I was thinking it might take 2.5M-2.875M range for 2 years but I don't know if I would want to spend it on him, I do love how miserable he is to play against though.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think Domi we could do 3 years 3-3.5M but I would really try to squeeze for 3M

Bertuzzi...I am going to be surprised if he hits 5.5M again but I think the term is going to get interesting, I'd like 3-4 years in the 4.5-5M range

Edmundson...what's that contract cost? Minimal offense...I was thinking it might take 2.5M-2.875M range for 2 years but I don't know if I would want to spend it on him, I do love how miserable he is to play against though.
Edmundson I think 2 million is limit on 2 year contract. I would rather go that option and not sign Brodie. No offense to Brodie but we can't offer anything close to what his salary is now at 5 million. As for Liljegren not sure what will happen but thinking 2.5-3.5 million for 2-3 years years.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Edmundson I think 2 million is limit on 2 year contract. I would rather go that option and not sign Brodie. No offense to Brodie but we can't offer anything close to what his salary is now at 5 million. As for Liljegren not sure what will happen.

If Edmundson would do 2x2, done.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
They are just placeholders.

Consider this a gap year for Treliving's tenure in Toronto.
i'm used to us overpaying for the placeholders and them under delivering.

this pay lower and get more from them (which then creates future issues) is something I'm not used to.

guess that's part of a benefit of not having a GM that still needs training wheels.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I don't think Bert is gonna be worth re signing. He signed here on a 1 yr deal with the intention on waiting for the cap to increase so he can cash in on a bigger deal.

I really don't think he'll end up being worth what he will be wanting and would rather allocate our cap space this summer towards building the defense. There's is a good amount of decent D men in UFA this year and should focus on that. I know Bert had a slow start but his production won't really be hard to replace.

I would re sign Domi though and don't think he will cost that much.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Keep in mind the favorable opportunities afforded Domi and Bertuzzi.

1711726744758.png

Now if Domi is capable of being a full-time center, do you keep him to replace Tavares for 2025-2026 season?

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I'd like Domi back at a similar cap maybe 4 tops considering he wants to be here and we have leverage. Bertuzzi I'd rather let walk and play some kids to upgrade the D and G positions.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I don't think Bert is gonna be worth re signing. He signed her on a 1 yr deal with the intention on waiting for the cap to increase so he can cash in on a bigger deal.

I really don't think he'll end up being worth what he will be wanting and would rather allocate our cap space this summer towards building the defense. There's is a good amount of decent D men in UFA this year and should focus on that. I know Bert had a slow start but his production won't really be hard to replace.

I would re sign Domi though and don't think he will cost that much.
Whatever happens it will be okay. We should bring back Domi but your probably right on Bertuzzi. It's uncertain if he would wants to comeback or rather see if can get 6+ million somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad