Player Discussion Bertuzzi and Domi

Should Treliving do whatever it takes to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi?

• Total voters

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't think Bert is gonna be worth re signing. He signed her on a 1 yr deal with the intention on waiting for the cap to increase so he can cash in on a bigger deal.

I really don't think he'll end up being worth what he will be wanting and would rather allocate our cap space this summer towards building the defense. There's is a good amount of decent D men in UFA this year and should focus on that. I know Bert had a slow start but his production won't really be hard to replace.

I would re sign Domi though and don't think he will cost that much.

agreed on both points here.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs real cup window will be open after next season IMO, once the JT deal is off the books. In the meantime do what needs to be done to keep Domi/Bertuzzi, once that 11M albatross is off the books we can look to add a legitimate top pair defender, I believe that is what Tre/Shanny are thinking and it's a big reason why we didn't make a splash at the deadline this year.

While I love this team, i'm not optimistic about our cup chances this year. Plan should be to sign both of them and have a forward core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Domi, Bert, let JT and Brodie go which is 16M + whatever the cap rises by, use that money to fill out the blue line and THEN contend. Cowen will likely be coming in on an elc at that time as well, possibly Webber on the bottom pair on an elc at that point as well.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Leafs real cup window will be open after next season IMO, once the JT deal is off the books. In the meantime do what needs to be done to keep Domi/Bertuzzi, once that 11M albatross is off the books we can look to add a legitimate top pair defender, I believe that is what Tre/Shanny are thinking and it's a big reason why we didn't make a splash at the deadline this year.

While I love this team, i'm not optimistic about our cup chances this year. Plan should be to sign both of them and have a forward core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Domi, Bert, let JT and Brodie go which is 16M + whatever the cap rises by, use that money to fill out the blue line and THEN contend. Cowen will likely be coming in on an elc at that time as well, possibly Webber on the bottom pair on an elc at that point as well.
Well, I agree this year outlook in postseason probably not going to go well but at least they kept this years 1st round pick. If we face Boston or Florida which probably will happen does not look to promising.

Last edited:

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I'd rather decide after seeing their playoff performances, but I suspect we'll be pleased with them. Cap space will obviously be a hurdle.

Reactions: LeafEgo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
dont mind extending both but not at the current total they are getting.

We can offer them term of they leave a bit on the table. And of course not full nmcs/ntcs

primary target for me is a top4 Dman and a goalie (woll hasn't shown me that he is a bonafide #1 and we just need a backup)

next season all of matthews (13.6), nylander (11.5) and tavares and marner (11) will be counting towards the cap. Not enough room for maneuvering

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The poll is deceptive. We can't re sign at any cost. Domi won't get a raise but if someone offers Bert $6 m at term, it's bye bye.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Would love to keep them both but what’s the cost ? And does that rule out other potential moves ? The playoffs will be a better test for this team but there’s no doubt both have been integral players and seem to like playing here. The Leafs unbalanced pay structure makes it harder to sign those $5M + guys because they need to augment the $46.5M core four with cheaper talent. Until JT’s $11M comes off the books the year after.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If we can only sign Bert and Domi or upgrade the D this summer, I'm tempted to sign them and wait until JT is off the books to address the D.

If you let them walk and address the D this summer, I'm not sure we're any closer to a good overall team, and Bert and Domi likely won't be available next year.

It may boil down to 'if there's a really good D available this year, grab him, otherwise re-sign what we have'.

Reactions: LeafEgo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Keep Domi for sure, I think Bert will be too expensive and I'd rather use his money to get a proper 3C or upgrade the D. And I have been a Bert supporter even when he was struggling

Reactions: authentic

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Obviously what they do in the playoffs will heavily lean on wether or not they're back....but my guess is Domi is a lock to come back.

I think Bertuzzi is 50/50. I can see him leaving, even if he has a huge playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's really tough to bring both back and upgrade the defense, it's a case of us getting priced out most likely.

I could see Domi taking 3x3 to stay...he gets some long term security at a reasonable cap hit.

Bertuzzi, I flat out think we can't afford to keep him.
Doesn’t Domi make 3 this year?
Shirley he’s due for a raise I would think.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Doesn’t Domi make 3 this year?
Shirley he’s due for a raise I would think.

I actually think they got the AAV right, he took less to be a Leaf, did he scratch the itch? I don't know how much more I would go on him, he has some nice playmaking and can get nasty if he needs to but he's definitely a bit of a liability in his own end.

He might like to unpack his suit case, been doing 1 year deals for a while.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I actually think they got the AAV right, he took less to be a Leaf, did he scratch the itch? I don't know how much more I would go on him, he has some nice playmaking and can get nasty if he needs to but he's definitely a bit of a liability in his own end.

He might like to unpack his suit case, been doing 1 year deals for a while.
He has played his way around the league, must be something to that. I’d be wary of term.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
i want to discuss both players, but i am having a hard time with the "whatever it takes" option.

try to get both signed? yes.

"whatever it takes"? no.
I meant whatever it takes to sign them to fair market deals (not overpay) by shedding cap space elsewhere (ie. Jarnkrok, Kampf, Reaves).

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Domi id give 3.5-4 by 3 years

Bertuzzi I’d look to go the same

Anymore and they can find another team

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd prioritize Domi. I think he's proven to be a good fit, and clearly loves playing here. I think he'd be accommodating on the contract too to get some career stability of the Leafs were willing to give a bit of term.

I've liked what I've seen from Bert recently too and would be potentially open to an extension. But, his offensive production last couple seasons isn't worth 5 mil. If he's willing to be flexible on the deal I'd give it a serious consideration though.

Reactions: 1specter

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don't think too many tears will be shed if these guys are both gone.

If it wasn't for Bertuzzi's recent hot streak he would've been a disaster. Domi still only has a lousy eight goals and stinks defensively. If neither one of them comes back it's no big deal.

The NHL is full of guys like these.

They're not "replacement level" players. But they are easily replaceable. I don't see any reason why Treliving should do whatever it takes to sign them.

Is the team really going to be that much worse without Tyler Bertuzzi or Max Domi on it?

They just posted a winning record with Marner out of the lineup. I'm not convinced Bertuzzi and Domi are necessary ingredients on a Stanley Cup contending team. If these guys want to cash in they can go play somewhere else.

If they don't like it they can wipe their tears away with all that money their new team will be paying them.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I don’t think a lot of people on here realize that cap hell leafs are in next year. Matthews, Nylander, McMann, and Benoit extensions are an extra 7 mil on the cap next year. That’s not even factoring in Lilly and Robertson getting raises on their next deals. It’s not possible to upgrade the D and bring back Domi or Bertuzzi at their current salary.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Their true value will shine through in the playoffs imo. We've always been too one dimensional to score when the games tighten up. You need to take some punishment and score from around the crease more often than not in the playoffs. I think Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, McMann will help with those "playoff" type goals..while finishing their checks and getting into some after the whistle dust ups.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Would love to re-sign both. It’ll be tough financially though especially if we want to actually improve the blueline…

Would love to re-sign both. It’ll be tough financially though especially if we want to actually improve the blueline…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad