Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I would just send him back down. Sitting in the press box is a waste of his development
I suspect at this time, JB prefers to sit and collect the bigger pay cheque for a few more weeks, the Griffins are pretty safe to make the playoffs, they send him back then, we don't know for sure what is going on, but the pay delta is huge and I am sure matters to the RFAs, I am sure JB wants to be playing, but after a year of FT NHL pay, I am sure he has bills to pay too. Pretty sure the brass would have gave him the choice of sit and get paid or go back. One can also argue that a NHL playoff chase even as a spare forward is development, but yeah, I would rather he play.

Reactions: heyfolks and Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I would just send him back down. Sitting in the press box is a waste of his development
Money my man....

Pay the kid. His check is much bigger just sitting in the press box with like a dozen games or so.

Czarnik was a good "solider" this year too bouncing up and down, I'd leave him up if it was me just to pay him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why haven't we seen Soderblom this season? He seems like a more interesting piece than Berggren. I thought his stint last season showed some potential.
Only 4 call ups after the deadline, and the Wings have used up 3. It explains why Burger isn't getting sent down, calling him back up would use up the last one.

As for Elmer, he's not good defensively and he's putting up less than 1/2 point per game in the AHL. He's not an upgrade over anyone on the roster.

Reactions: heyfolks

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
He makes under 1K per game in the AHL.
He makes over 10K per game sitting in an NHL press box.

Since being called up 14 days ago he has already made more money than his entire AHL yearly salary.

And he can’t get injured in the press box. I’m sure both sides would like him healthy heading into the offseason. That makes a trade easier/more likely.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Since being called up 14 days ago he has already made more money than his entire AHL yearly salary.

And he can’t get injured in the press box. I’m sure both sides would like him healthy heading into the offseason. That makes a trade easier/more likely.
Didn't know the salary implications thanks. I meant in terms of developing as a better player. This does change things.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
What or who would you think we could get for him?
Not much ... and the way hes being treated we deserve to trade him for a "player that can help our team now" (that'll be the excuse they feed us) who turns out to be garbage and for berggren to pop 60+ pts elsewhere and make us look like fools

Benched yet again today... we'll bench him a few more for shits n giggles he'll be sent to grand rapids win the Calder cup and mvp and we'll say our goodbyes

Berggren was our best pick in 2018,
Over veleno?? Lalonde would slap you with a glove and challenge you to a duel

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Berggren can go play in the new Quad-A league, along with Sprong and Kubalik.

There will be no red or blue lines. The entire sheet of ice will be called “the offensive zone.”

Reactions: 13to40

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Berggren was our best pick in 2018,

He wasn't. But if you really want to get depressed look at the Wings draft picks during the Holland years and glance over at the number of NHL games most of them have played (or not player, more accurately).

The number that have cracked 3 seasons worth of games in the NHL is depressingly low.

Reactions: heyfolks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Remember that roller hockey league with the ramps behind the net? They could restart that.

I remember seeing this as a teen and thinking. that is pretty cool. Now I look at it, and see how silly it is to have ramps behind the net.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Remember that roller hockey league with the ramps behind the net? They could restart that.

Incredible. Something I think I never would have thought of again had you not posed this.

I think we’re on to something. Where’s James Neal these days? He could head up this project. Joffrey Lupul can be VP. Andy Delmore obviously has a role.

Now I feel motivated to draw up a full roster of these guys.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Incredible. Something I think I never would have thought of again had you not posed this.

I think we’re on to something. Where’s James Neal these days? He could head up this project. Joffrey Lupul can be VP. Andy Delmore obviously has a role.

You could get Allan Bester and Peter Ing to play net. Pavel stickhandler guy from youtube could also be involved. Pierre McGuire could be commissioner, and the main trophy could be The Big Stick! Then maybe see what the Bash Brothers are up to as well, and they could bring knucklepuck guy with them.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Homeboy should be a decent trade asset on draft day. If Yzerman plays his cards right, maybe he can put him in a package and actually move up the draft, given that we screwed our season and will most likely end up with a mid-pick in the 1st round.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Homeboy should be a decent trade asset on draft day. If Yzerman plays his cards right, maybe he can put him in a package and actually move up the draft, given that we screwed our season and will most likely end up with a mid-pick in the 1st round.
A little context here:

Looking at the standings, had Detroit gone full seller at the deadline, they still were not sinking past any of the bottom 5-6 teams. Realistically, about the highest draft slot they could have expected was 8th or 9th.

So they'd be HOPING to land another Kasper or Danielson kinda player.

Berggren is the level of asset that doesn't really move you any higher in the top ten. Maybe one slot if you find a team who likes two prospects equally and would take the added player to flip picks.

So if absolutely everything clicks for the Perpetual Tank Crowd, Detroit is sitting at 7 overall.

If it's that versus fighting for a playoff spot right to the very end, I'll take the chance at a playoff spot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We will be 9th worst at East on the worst-case scenario.

That's what it is. Could fall out from the playoffs as the 1st team.

Then you draft at 15th overall.

Being 9th or even 17th is a very marginal difference. It's "Danielson vs. Pellikka" from last draft. Many would have taken Pellikka already at 9th. But he did fall.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Adam Erne is winning the Hart in this league. I have a buddy who up until he moved out of Michigan played in a men's league with a few guys who had the tip that Erne would clean up in roller tournaments against amateurs during the offseason.

Reactions: jaster

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

That is the reason. He gets the money with the big club.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think I am having flashbacks about older conversations regarding, Pulkinnen, Jurco et. al... "hated" by the coaching staff and intentionally held back by the organization, not played high enough up the lineup once called up, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Life has a way of repeating itself for the benefit of younger generations.

Props for running down the video of the old beach roller hockey league. God bless ESPN and its old weekday afternoon content. Did Steve Chellos play in that league?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We will be 9th worst at East on the worst-case scenario.

That's what it is. Could fall out from the playoffs as the 1st team.

Then you draft at 15th overall.

Being 9th or even 17th is a very marginal difference. It's "Danielson vs. Pellikka" from last draft. Many would have taken Pellikka already at 9th. But he did fall.
Last draft was much better than this one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad