Speculation: Bergevin to hit Panic Button in MTL

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Pacioretty for Duchene straight up. Sakic can then parlay Pacioretty into the d-man/package he wants. Both guys get change of scenery.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I doubt the Isles deal JT for Price at any point in time.

NYI have arguably, the top 2 Goalie Prospects outside North America, the chance of Soderstrom or Sorokin making their way over is pretty good. The chance of both of them making it over isn’t a solid bet, but not out of the question.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Something has to give with that team. To me anyone and everyone should be available and that even includes Price. Time for a full-blown rebuild in Montreal methinks.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Something has to give with that team. To me anyone and everyone should be available and that even includes Price. Time for a full-blown rebuild in Montreal methinks.

I agree there. It wouldnt have been possible 5 years ago (montreal fans neeed the team to make the playoffs year after year, so we get half ass rebuilds and never really get franchise players), but i think the fans see that Toronto has done it and what it looks like. I think they might be open to a rebuild now

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I should change my name to WildInsider and make stuff up, pretending to know what I'm talking about

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Habs trading for Duchene would be ridiculously shortsighted at this point.

Also, literally laughed out loud at listing the loss of Emelin as contributing to ruining the cup window

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Wait two things here:

1. On what planet would the Avs trade Duchene to you for a return or either Galchenyuk or Patches? What part of Sakic wants a higher end d-man do you not seem to understand? Sakic has been adamant to a fault about getting a younger high upside d-man. Why would he all of a sudden come off that demand and take on a fizzling Galchenyuk or a guy who is 6-8 years older than our "new core" in Pacioretty? He won't. Duchene won't likely end up in Montreal unless there is a 3rd team involved who can get them a higher end young d-man.

2. In your scenario of Roy taking over GM duties, why would they acquire Duchene. He and Roy didn't always see eye to eye in Colorado. What makes you think everything would be all good in Montreal. IMO Roy took over as GM and you acquired Duchene. You could pretty much bank on the fact that Duchene wouldn't re-sign in two years and he bolt as a UFA...probably to Nashville.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
They didn't need for Toronto to do it before they saw it was the thing to do. There is NO CHOICE. This league has been watered down and managed to the point where everyone complains about the rigidity of it all. Thank you owners and their representatives for ruining our national sport. Not that we need to be more like MLB but rewarding habitual losers is ridiculous. The business model sucks for entertainment but I guess it maximizes profit so what the hell.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
It's crazy to think that a team with such crazy ticket prices and sellout games for who knows how long can't attract any star forwards. Last top 10 in points by a Montreal forward was like 30 years ago and I forgot when was the last top 20 finish by them. Rebuilding by draft is a lot harder now than it was before when last place ensured you would draft at least second now it means at least 4th..

The only way to "attract" star forwards is drafting them when they're 18 years old. Star forwards never hit free agency and Montreal never finishes deep enough to draft high or when they did, a top forward wasn't the best available (Price #5, Sergachev #9)

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Wait two things here:

1. On what planet would the Avs trade Duchene to you for a return or either Galchenyuk or Patches? What part of Sakic wants a higher end d-man do you not seem to understand? Sakic has been adamant to a fault about getting a younger high upside d-man. Why would he all of a sudden come off that demand and take on a fizzling Galchenyuk or a guy who is 6-8 years older than our "new core" in Pacioretty? He won't. Duchene won't likely end up in Montreal unless there is a 3rd team involved who can get them a higher end young d-man.

2. In your scenario of Roy taking over GM duties, why would they acquire Duchene. He and Roy didn't always see eye to eye in Colorado. What makes you think everything would be all good in Montreal. IMO Roy took over as GM and you acquired Duchene. You could pretty much bank on the fact that Duchene wouldn't re-sign in two years and he bolt as a UFA...probably to Nashville.

Probably the same part that avs fans don't understand that Duchene will not get them a young top defenseman.

lauzon19

Sep 25, 2016
Gatineau, Qc
Are you kidding me guys? Pacioretty has the best contract in the league for almost 2 more seasons and he has 4 seasons with more than 30 goals. Any team in the league who would like to win a cup would pay for him. Sorry, but with his season last year never devaluated Kopitar... Why it's always different with Montreal? I think that people are never objective when it's related to Montreal. I love hockey, not Montreal and I watch games of every teams. HE HAS A LOT OF VALUE ESPACIALLY WITH HIS CONTRACT... His value is higher than Kessel due to this fact (4.5M for 2 years).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"Because Montreal has some great pieces to build around"

Lol. The Habs core of Pacioretty, Weber, Drouin and Price is pretty crappy overall. The skaters of that core are entirely unimpressive and have some serious flaws, and Price is so good that he prevents them from truly bottoming out. If your 3 best skaters are Weber, Drouin and Pacioretty, your team should be a bottom feeder.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bergevin likely should be fired... They need a top 4 D and a top 6 F. They may need a major shakeup

Subban lost in trade
Shaw contract too much
Price contract
Alzner contract
Radulov lost
Markov lost
Eller moved for futures
Streit waste
Hemsky waste
Deadline moves last year
Ott waste
King waste
Andreas Martinsen for Sven Andrighetto wut?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Probably the same part that avs fans don't understand that Duchene will not get them a young top defenseman.
That's fine and dandy and I don't fully disagree with you, but Sakic still isn't trading Duchene for someone older than Duchene or that doesn't play the position Sakic's been looking for since day 1 of making him available. The Avs have been trying to get "younger and faster" Patches doesn't accomplish either of these goals. Patches is much more valuable to a playoff caliber team that needs more scoring. I hate to break it to you but the Avs aren't that team. Patches is a very good player, just not the player the Avs need.

As for Galchenyuk, I think a lot of Avs fans are very on edge about him. He seems to have high end offensive skills but yet gets demoted to the 3rd/4th line of a team that needs scoring desperately. Does the coach really hate him that much? Or is Galchenyuk just another lazy skilled player that coasts too much? Or is it a combo or both? That's where most Avs fans are on Galchenyuk. We don't need another Wojtek Wolski situation. Especially if it costs us Duchene. Your coach and your player aren't doing themselves any favors right now to increase value.

Like I said in my first post I don't see Montreal and Colorado being able to come to a deal involving Duchene unless there is a 3rd team. For over a year now Sakic's ask on Duchene has been a decent young defenseman, the only guy on Montreal that fits that bill is Mete, which isn't going to happen. Not sure why Sakic would change from wanting a d-man to accepting a deal based around a forward.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That would be pretty funny if Roy had to take over a team that just gave up an arm and a leg to acquire Duchene, a player he wanted to get rid of in Colorado.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bergevin likely should be fired... They need a top 4 D and a top 6 F. They may need a major shakeup

Andreas Martinsen for Sven Andrighetto wut?

As an Avs fan I find it laughable that Montreal really thought there was no place for Ghetto in their top 6. Especially since they have all of 11 goals in 7 games. Even funnier is they thought so little of Ghetto that they traded him for a career AHLer/overseas player.

Ghetto isn't a superstar or anything but there is no reason he can't be a 35-45pts player if put in the right situation.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's a little early for the Habs to freak out. They are 7 games in. Take stock after they've played 20 games.

That might be sound advice... if it wasn't for the fact that Montreal has a bunch of massive holes in their lineup.

No #1c, a poor fit as a #2c, and a lack of mobility on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad