Bergeron vs Getzlaf

Bergeron or Getzlaf

• Total voters

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
giphy.gif

So by playing with someone you meant on the same team but not on the same line or on the ice together.... right after you say Ryan Getzlaf never had quality teammates. That also comes after you quoted me talking about linemates.... Makes sense dude, have fun.
WTF again...

people keep saying Bergeron gets the benefit of playing with Pasta despite the fact that he no longer plays on a line with Pasta and has for a very small portion of his career.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
0.81 PPG and 0.88 PPG, and one of them is "garbage"

WTF?
Selanne was a Duck from 2005 to 2014, and Getzlaf began his career in 2006.
He did NOT PLAY WITH Teemu for 8 years. Man this is really rocket science I guess. Who's garbage I don't even know what you're even talking about at this point.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
No one cares about the selke.

I never said he's not great defensively.

Guy hit 75pts 1x in an 18 year career. For the "best 2 way player ever" yes that is garbage.
Quoted the wrong guy. My bad.

He did NOT PLAY WITH Teemu for 8 years. Man this is really rocket science I guess. Who's garbage I don't even know what you're even talking about at this point.
So players on the same team don't play with each other?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think peak getzlaf was the better player, dominant on both ends and could carry anyone. But, bergeron had a longer run of continued elite play so he should win this poll.

Reactions: Paul4587

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Both have had solid careers, but the slight edge that Getzlaf has over Bergeron offensively is outweighed by the Selke level two way play that Bergeron has brought throughout his career. Both are in the same tier of players I'd say, I just prefer Bergeron for career.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Imagine Getzlaf with Marchand and Pasta :laugh:

You act like Ryan and Perry were chopped liver.

Its funny using Marchand in your argument. You are aware that Marchand was a 45-55 point player before Julien left the Bruins, right? The mental gymnastics required to diminish Bergeron because of Marchand, but not admit that Bergeron's role under Julien hindered his point totals is something I would love to see you maneuver.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You act like Ryan and Perry were chopped liver.

Its funny using Marchand in your argument. You are aware that Marchand was a 45-55 point player before Julien left the Bruins, right? The mental gymnastics required to diminish Bergeron because of Marchand, but not admit that Bergeron's role under Julien hindered his point totals is something I would love to see you maneuver.
I don't act like they're chop liver show me where I said that, I'll wait. I would have liked to see Getzlaf next to those two players because I feel they would all compliment each other and Getzlaf would bring a physical dynamic to the line. Keep trying to put words in people's mouths though 🥱

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'll never understand people who are so fixated on production as to believe it's the only way to impact the outcome of a hockey game.

Reactions: PB37

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'll never understand people who are so fixated on production as to believe it's the only way to impact the outcome of a hockey game.

I’ll never understand people parroting stats guys as the Bible.

Getzlaf played 2C behind Crosby when it came to any international competition. And was actually a 1C on a cup winning team instead of hiding behind Krejci to get offensive production.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are we going to act like Ryan Getzlaf never had quality teammates :laugh:

He played with a Hart trophy winner for 90% of his career. He played with Selanne for 8 seasons. Bobby Ryan was far better than anything Bergeron had from 08-12 when he was carrying around a 42-year old Mark Recchi.

If we're going to say the first half of Getzlaf's career was underrated, then you damn well better admit that in the first half of their careers, Getzlaf had far better linemates than Bergeron.

Perry doesn’t touch a Hart trophy without Getzlaf and for the majority of his career was being propped up by Getzlaf far more than the other way around.

Selanne rarely played with Getzlaf.

Ryan fell off a cliff as soon as he was taken off the Getzlaf line his last year in Anaheim and his numbers in Ottawa didn’t get any better.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Getzlaf played 2C behind Crosby when it came to any international competition. And was actually a 1C on a cup winning team instead of hiding behind Krejci to get offensive production.
Tell me you don’t know hockey without telling me you don’t know hockey.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Perry doesn’t touch a Hart trophy without Getzlaf and for the majority of his career was being propped up by Getzlaf far more than the other way around.

Selanne rarely played with Getzlaf.

Ryan fell off a cliff as soon as he was taken off the Getzlaf line his last year in Anaheim and his numbers in Ottawa didn’t get any better.
Yeah Getz was for sure a huge factor in Perry’s success. Getzlaf was great.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Stats are merely information with which to form a more educated position.

Id like to see a reference for your international 2C claim, as Toews led team canada forwards in both 5v5 and all-sit ice-time in 2014, and Im pretty sure Crosby, not Getzlaf was behind him as far as centers.

2010 you might be right, as Toews didnt start leading forward ice-time in that tournament til the game against team russia, but I cant find the toi numbers for it.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I honestly feel like people underrate Bergeron because of his points. Watch the man play hockey. I mean, focus on him. He rarely gives up a goal when he’s on ice. Ever.

Id like to see a reference for your international 2C claim, as Toews led team canada forwards in both 5v5 and all-sit ice-time in 2014, and Im pretty sure Crosby, not Getzlaf was behind him as far as centers.

2010 you might be right, as Toews didnt start leading forward ice-time in that tournament til the game against team russia, but I cant find the toi numbers for it.
Pretty sure Crosby played wing with Bergeron and Marchand in 2014.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I honestly feel like people underrate Bergeron because of his points. Watch the man play hockey. I mean, focus on him. He rarely gives up a goal when he’s on ice. Ever.

Pretty sure Crosby played wing with Bergeron and Marchand in 2014.

No, that was the World Cup in 2016.

Crosby played with Kunitz on the 2014 Olympic team, but I do think Bergeron ended up on his wing by the end of the tournament.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

In the clinching game for the gold medal Getzlaf played 5 more minutes than the legendary two way mastermind that is Patrice Bergeron and was Canada’s 2nd most used forward.

In 2010 in the clinching game for the gold medal Getzlaf was the leader amongst forwards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad