Value of: Bergeron and Marchand

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
As an outsider, would something around Bergy for Malkin get talks started?

Their offensive numbers are far too similar for me to consider this. Malkin’s salary is far higher, too. Both tend to miss 20 games a season or so, so there’d be risk for both sides.

He’s a lifer, but for the sake of conversation, he’d be traded for proven young talent. If we’re still trying to win a Cup this trade wouldn’t make sense for us.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Bergeron and Marchand to Colorado for Girard, Newhook, Kadri or Saad(cap reasons), and a 1st. We can afford another prospect and/or pick as well.

Landeskog/MacKinnon/Rantanen
Marchand/Bergeron/Burakovsky

Graves/Makar
Byram/Johnson
Toews/Cole

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
They’re lifers. Not going anywhere.
Marchand is still young enough I could see him playing elsewhere if the Bruins decide to rebuild before he's ready to hang 'em up. As for Bergeron, he's definitely a lifer, I'd have a hard time seeing him or the Bruins letting him go elsewhere before he reties. He's going to wear the C for the Bruins for 2-3 seasons at least once Chara retires.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A line of Marchand, M. Tkachuk, and Bennett would be a thing of beauty. The Flames won't give up the assets to acquire him, but I can dream. It would be especially hilarious for this season with the rumoured all Canadian division. 8-9 games against the Canucks with Marchand, Markstrom, Leivo, and Tanev in the lineup would be golden.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Marchand is still young enough I could see him playing elsewhere if the Bruins decide to rebuild before he's ready to hang 'em up. As for Bergeron, he's definitely a lifer, I'd have a hard time seeing him or the Bruins letting him go elsewhere before he reties. He's going to wear the C for the Bruins for 2-3 seasons at least once Chara retires.

Bergeron, at 35, just won't bring back the assets that would make him worth moving. It would be like the Flames moved Iginla. The difference being that Bergeron already won his cup in Boston and doesn't need to chase them at the end of his career. Plus Boston has a pretty descent shot at winning a cup in any given year right now.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You're asking for the top winger on a contending team, who plays all situations and does it extremely well, with a cap friendly deal. As if that wasn't enough, you're then asking for the center with all the same qualifications.

Sure.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bergeron and Marchand to Colorado for Girard, Newhook, Kadri or Saad(cap reasons), and a 1st. We can afford another prospect and/or pick as well.

Landeskog/MacKinnon/Rantanen
Marchand/Bergeron/Burakovsky

Graves/Makar
Byram/Johnson
Toews/Cole
Youre getting a top 5 winger in the game signed to an amazing contract and a top 10C... Youre going to have to offer a whole lot more than that.

What.do you even see as the value here?

Newhook + Girard for Marchand and a late 1st + Kadri/Saad (for one year)? How can you see that as a fair value trade?

Youd be adding Byram to that offer and still not sure if it's enough

Reactions: Fisticuffer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Youre getting a top 5 winger in the game signed to an amazing contract and a top 10C... Youre going to have to offer a whole lot more than that.

Newhook + Girard for Marchand and a late 1st + Kadri/Saad (for one year)? How can you see that as a fair value trade?

I like Newhook, but I think Boston asks for Byram over Girard FOR SURE given the types of D they have in the system that play similarly to Girard.

Reactions: kthx

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015

It's a cap world. Few teams could take on either one, let alone both. Bergeron's a legend and all but he's getting up there and misses time every year these days. And this gives the players the respect of sending them somewhere with a real shot at winning, not just an auction to the highest bidder. The pieces are negotiable but you're not going to get the ransom that destroy's Colorado's entire future. Think the Bourque deal.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
From a Canucks perspective (though some PTSD victims from 2011 still suffer vividly) I would readily entertain the idea of trading Horvat for Bergeron, since Patrice plays such a strong all-around game while Bo, as much as I love him, still has some defensive shortcomings (better suited to be offensive, as per his advanced analytics).

If the team was desperate or somehow felt that they couldn't retain the nucleus, I would readily make that swap.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser (Lotto Line has been $$$$$)
Pearson - Bergeron - Podkolzin (size, strength, defensive play and could be an elite shutdown line)

Now just like @blankall, it's time for me to wake up, but that was a nice dream.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's a cap world. Few teams could take on either one, let alone both. Bergeron's a legend and all but he's getting up there and misses time every year these days. And this gives the players the respect of sending them somewhere with a real shot at winning, not just an auction to the highest bidder. The pieces are negotiable but you're not going to get the ransom that destroy's Colorado's entire future. Think the Bourque deal.
How is this like the Bourque deal? He was 39 and had a list of like 3 teams he would go to. Both these players already have their Cups, so Boston isnt going to take a discount just to solely send them to the top team.
Youre getting both players at massive cap discounts compared to what they're worth. You can easily make room for a top 10C at $7M for 2 years and a top 5W at $6M for 5 more years through Cap dumps, which clearly Boston wouldnt be opposed to taking since this would clearly signal a rebuild.

This isn't like the Bourque deal whatsoever. You arent getting.TWO players like that without a blue chip piece or two. Secondary assets wont do it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How is this like the Bourque deal? He was 39 and had a list of like 3 teams he would go to. Both these players already have their Cups, so Boston isnt going to take a discount just to solely send them to the top team.
Youre getting both players at massive cap discounts compared to what they're worth. You can easily make room for a top 10C at $7M for 2 years and a top 5W at $6M for 5 more years through Cap dumps, which clearly Boston wouldnt be opposed to taking since this would clearly signal a rebuild.

This isn't like the Bourque deal whatsoever. You arent getting.TWO players like that without a blue chip piece or two. Secondary assets wont do it.

This is why its impossible to have these conversations.

If the Bruins really were in a position where they were trading Bergeron or Marchand (and especially Bergeron) out of respect they wouldn't try to force them to waive their NMC to the highest bidder, they would ask where they wanted to go. Which would of course mean you aren't getting full value.

But there is no reason for Boston to ever do that. Unless maybe there was a new team in Quebec and Bergeron wanted to close out his career at home. But I don't see a team in Quebec.

So how do we have a conversation?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This is why its impossible to have these conversations.

If the Bruins really were in a position where they were trading Bergeron or Marchand (and especially Bergeron) out of respect they wouldn't try to force them to waive their NMC to the highest bidder, they would ask where they wanted to go. Which would of course mean you aren't getting full value.

But there is no reason for Boston to ever do that. Unless maybe there was a new team in Quebec and Bergeron wanted to close out his career at home. But I don't see a team in Quebec.

So how do we have a conversation?
I think it would be at least close to the highest bidder as bad teams arent going to be trying to get Bergeron.

Would Boston take a lesser offer from Colorado than say NYI or Toronto just because one is seen as "more" of a contender? Im not so sure

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Here's an offer just for funzies.

Connor Brown/Colin White + Anisimov + Logan Brown + Alex Formenton + 1st (unprotected) + 2nd + 1st 2022 (conditional if Ottawa wins Cup)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Never say never, I bet people said never with Ray Bourque too.

I don't think it will happen but Bourque got traded

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Its laughable to consider, but assuming Boston is rebuilding and COL is in win now mode (aka not trading back MacKinnon/Rantanen/etc) id give Byram, Newhook, Kadri, and Johnson. Kadri and Johnson more for moving money back to make the cap work.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Its laughable to consider, but assuming Boston is rebuilding and COL is in win now mode (aka not trading back MacKinnon/Rantanen/etc) id give Byram, Newhook, Kadri, and Johnson. Kadri and Johnson more for moving money back to make the cap work.
Get off this Bruins are in a rebuilding mode they are not nor should they be............

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Get off this Bruins are in a rebuilding mode they are not nor should they be............

Bruins got a few good year left but a rebuild or retool is coming sometime. New England fans have been spoiled and bad days are coming! If the Bruins find stars like Bergeron, Marchand, and Pasta in late 1st or 2nd round+, I'll be a believer but doubt they will pull that off again

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it would be at least close to the highest bidder as bad teams arent going to be trying to get Bergeron.

Would Boston take a lesser offer from Colorado than say NYI or Toronto just because one is seen as "more" of a contender? Im not so sure

But would Bergeron/Marchand waive is the issue. They have full NMCs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
But would Bergeron/Marchand waive is the issue. They have full NMCs.

That would likely take a bad season in Boston. Both seem like guys who want to win. I could see them waiving following a bad season in Boston and for a proposed trade to a contender, like Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad