Recalled/Assigned: Benn Ferriero

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
When Ferriero was with the Sharks he spent a lot of his time playing on a line with Couture and Clowe, and later with Couture and Marleau. He didn't show up on the scoresheet as much as his linemates, but the fact that he got to play with them leads me to believe that he was doing all the little things right. He seems like a guy that can help get the puck into the offensive zone and keep it there, providing opportunities for his linemates. Hopefully he sticks here, I really like the move by Slats.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When Ferriero was with the Sharks he spent a lot of his time playing on a line with Couture and Clowe, and later with Couture and Marleau. He didn't show up on the scoresheet as much as his linemates, but the fact that he got to play with them leads me to believe that he was doing all the little things right. He seems like a guy that can help get the puck into the offensive zone and keep it there, providing opportunities for his linemates. Hopefully he sticks here, I really like the move by Slats.

If he was doing things right to play with those guys, then why did San Jose get rid of him?

Or are you simply grasping for evidence that he'll succeed here?

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I liked him alot and hope he can stay with that same style and be a consistent 3rd liner. From what I read the consensus seems to be he comes up to the NHL has a few good games than drops off and doesnt have much of an impact. Now torts is a diff coach and gets a lot out of players, I mean he turned Gaborik into something completely opposite than the player we originally signed. Granted ferriero isnt marian gaborik, but often times players just need a break and make the best of the situation, and I think he has the potential to be that and a solid 3rd liner. And if Kreider gets healthy and steps his game up, Kreider goes to the 3rd and Ferriero makes the 4th line better. The best way to better the bottom lines is make the top lines better and push the players down, eventually pushing the scrub 4th liners to the press box. Rupp is horrendous, I hope we end up buying him out, dont want him on this team next year..save the 1.5 we need it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I liked him alot and hope he can stay with that same style and be a consistent 3rd liner. From what I read the consensus seems to be he comes up to the NHL has a few good games than drops off and doesnt have much of an impact. Now torts is a diff coach and gets a lot out of players, I mean he turned Gaborik into something completely opposite than the player we originally signed. Granted ferriero isnt marian gaborik, but often times players just need a break and make the best of the situation, and I think he has the potential to be that and a solid 3rd liner. And if Kreider gets healthy and steps his game up, Kreider goes to the 3rd and Ferriero makes the 4th line better. The best way to better the bottom lines is make the top lines better and push the players down, eventually pushing the scrub 4th liners to the press box. Rupp is horrendous, I hope we end up buying him out, dont want him on this team next year..save the 1.5 we need it.

Who do you get to replace him? Because with Janssen/Barch, Shelley/Sestito/Rinadlo, Carkner/Boulton and Engelland/Glass in the division the Rangers will need someone....

BarbaraAlphanse

Who do you get to replace him? Because with Janssen/Barch, Shelley/Sestito/Rinadlo, Carkner/Boulton and Engelland/Glass in the division the Rangers will need someone....

Is Rupp/Asham/Bickel not enough?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
If he was doing things right to play with those guys, then why did San Jose get rid of him?

Or are you simply grasping for evidence that he'll succeed here?

From my understanding, which is based on a conversation with a Sharks fan friend, he played on that line while Havlat was injured and looked good. Once Havlat came back Ferriero played on the 4th line and was less noticeable. The Sharks did not get rid of him, he signed with the Penguins as a UFA. They didn't qualify him, but the Sharks have a wealth of quality 3rd line players.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You can honestly say our 4th line is a formidable line for a cup contending team??

How much stock needs to be put into the value of a 4th line when reviewing a cup contending team?

(Hint: its not much)

But regardless, when so many top 9 forwards are off to slow starts, it kind of infuriates me when people feel the need to put the onus on the 4th line - who have been doing their job just fine, by the way.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You can honestly say our 4th line is a formidable line for a cup contending team??
At least comparable to the 4th line when Tortorella won the Cup with Tampa.

Chris Dingman - Eric Perrin - Andre Roy

They averaged 4-6 minutes a game.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Actually, the best way to fill out the bottom lines, especially the 4th line, is to have players that readily accept and can execute their roles.

Your logic here is seriously flawed. Mike Rupp playing 5 minutes a night on the 4th line and fighting guys that take liberties is actually more valuable than a skill player down there wishing his role will expand.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Rupp doesn't up his play I don't think he'll even so much as finish the season here if Sather can find a trade partner.

We need guys on the bottom two lines who can skate. Ferreiro, Hagelin are good examples.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Let's try to be objective (but optimistic) about this guy.

He wasn't a very high draft pick so the fact that he has made it this far speaks to the idea that he may be a bit of an overachiever.

He's established himself as a "tweener;" a guy who always does well in the AHL, has had some opportunities to establish himself in the NHL but for one reason or another, has never been able to. That speaks to the fact that he may be a tad short in some area that keeps him from establishing himself.

Now he is 25 years old and at a crossroads in his career. Tweeners get just so many chances before the label becomes a detriment and he is in danger of becoming a lifer in the AHL.

He has a golden opportunity, that I hope he realizes, to stick here by doing what he does best: skating and hustling. If he isn't put into a position where he most likely can't succeed long term, such as in the top six, but is asked to play in the bottom 6, he has a chance to carve out a niche as an NHL player.

Each year we seem to promote someone who looks like the AHL is where they will stay, who grabs the chance and become NHL regulars or semi-regulars: Stu Bickel, John Mitchell come to mind. These are some of the nicest and best human interest stories in every season. Its really nice to see someone grab hold of an opportunity and run with it (I guess skate with it). Hopefully BF realizes the change he is getting and grasps on to it. Hopefully he continues to make an impression on Torts. Hopefully he doesn't do something that puts him in Tort's dog house and sends him back to the Whale. Hopefully he can provide continuous energy on the 4th line and sometimes get plugged into a higher line.

I love stories like his, and I'm rooting for him but we all need to be realistic about him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Rupp doesn't up his play I don't think he'll even so much as finish the season here if Sather can find a trade partner.

We need guys on the bottom two lines who can skate. Ferreiro, Hagelin are good examples.

We also need good locker room guys who have won a cup and can fight. Rupp fits that role just fine. Why he seems to be the target of most rants is beyond me to be honest.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We also need good locker room guys who have won a cup and can fight. Rupp fits that role just fine. Why he seems to be the target of most rants is beyond me to be honest.

Hell, I haven't ranted about an individual player since Zherdev left. All I am saying is he isn't doing enough to justify him salary. If Sather can free a million off the cap for next years budget by replacing Rupp with an energy guy, he will.

Pyatt is an example of what you want for 1.5 million. And mind you I was a big proponent of getting Rupp in the first place.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I liked Rupp when he was with the Devils.

I liked Rupp when he played for the Danbury Trashers during lockout #2.

I liked Rupp when he was with the Pens.

I was thrilled when we signed him.

But....he is not the player he was then. That Rupp had some skill and was a valuable member of the team. Now, because of age or injuries he has lost a lot of what made him a good hockey player. Now, he is only good for fighting and he is a terrible fighter. Whenever he fights we lose momentum instead of gaining it.

I know he's probably good in the locker room and his physical presence is welcomed by his teammates when he is on the ice.

But, his time as a Ranger is coming to a close. Don't blame or dislike him for any of this. It just is what it is.

RMcDonagh

New York Rangers Cup
Jul 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
Our bottom six isn't good because our top six isn't good enough. It's that type of situation.

Stepan, the way he has been playing lately, is not top-six caliber. Though he should be there, he just needs to step it up.

Hagelin doesn't belong there and Kreider will belong there, but doesn't now. Ferriero doesn't belong there either, that's a joke.

So you have 5 top-six players and one hole. If that hole was filled, and we had a better third line center (I.E. Anisimov type), then Boyle can go down to the fourth where he belongs, and a Hagelin/Kreider/Something line could be our 3rd and be pretty formidable as such. The fourth could be any combination of Pyatt, Halpern, Boyle, Asham or Rupp.

It's kind of similar to our D situation where we have 4 solid D, but a crapshoot for the last pair. Stralman, contrary to most opinions here, is crap to me. Eminger, Stralman and Bickel all hardly fit the bill. Gilroy is even worse. Need a better depth D man, and a solid middle 6 or top 6 guy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
How much stock needs to be put into the value of a 4th line when reviewing a cup contending team?

But regardless, when so many top 9 forwards are off to slow starts, it kind of infuriates me when people feel the need to put the onus on the 4th line - who have been doing their job just fine, by the way.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who thought this way. Good post.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

I want to see them play more. They looked and had a few good shifts in the Toronto game, yet because they were down, they rarely saw the ice. I think having one more speed guy would be better overall. I'm an advocate of better skating.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I'm not totally down on Rupp yet. As a fan of the fighters of the game I appreciate what he does for the Rangers. Coming in, I knew he was a guy that wasn't going to win em all. He's just not that kind of fighter. He's always been knows as a player that can fight, Not an enforcer. So with that said, he's not going to put fear into anyone. He'll stand up for his guys and against the better fighters or true heavyweights he'll like lose. Against the middle tiered fighters he'll probably get a few in there before he loses balance and goes down.

One thing that I am not a huge fan of though is this.

I think your 4th line needs to have a little piss and vinegar infused into it. 3 guys over the age of 30 to me just isn't going to cut it in that department. Get a kid in there. Some fresh legs. A guy that is going to make some noise in his 5-7 mins of ice time. A guy that is going to get you two or three hits per game. Rupper in 5 games has 5 hits. He's 6'5 247. If he wanted to he can put someone through the glass. He needs to put someone through the glass!

One last thing and back to Ferriero so this doesn't become a Rupp hijacking. I definitely feel the same way a lot of the posters feel about this. Gotta love a guy that is given opportunity and rises to the occasion. It's great too see. Going back, there were so many cases like this. I remember Ryan Callahan once sitting out of practice one training camp as he was about to get sent back to the Wolfpack. Online at the time fans were saying he's too small to do it in this league. Or he was an overage payer that's why he had success in Jrs etc. He later on got his chance. He's now the captain! I love watching the players that can advance through the system because they are the guys who fought through the trenches to make it here. I hope Ferriero kicks some ass and takes some names.

Switching back to Rupper. There's a kid in Hartford who's of similar size. Probably skates as well as Rupp. Can throw with just about anyone. And lastly is still a very young man. Maybe Mashinter can continue to develop his game in the AHL and become Mike Rupps replacement with the big club. Judging strictly from Beacons scouting reports he sounds like he's on the right path.

Punxrocknyc19*

I'm not totally down on Rupp yet. As a fan of the fighters of the game I appreciate what he does for the Rangers. Coming in, I knew he was a guy that wasn't going to win em all. He's just not that kind of fighter. He's always been knows as a player that can fight, Not an enforcer. So with that said, he's not going to put fear into anyone. He'll stand up for his guys and against the better fighters or true heavyweights he'll like lose. Against the middle tiered fighters he'll probably get a few in there before he loses balance and goes down.

One thing that I am not a huge fan of though is this.

I think your 4th line needs to have a little piss and vinegar infused into it. 3 guys over the age of 30 to me just isn't going to cut it in that department. Get a kid in there. Some fresh legs. A guy that is going to make some noise in his 5-7 mins of ice time. A guy that is going to get you two or three hits per game. Rupper in 5 games has 5 hits. He's 6'5 247. If he wanted to he can put someone through the glass. He needs to put someone through the glass!

One last thing and back to Ferriero so this doesn't become a Rupp hijacking. I definitely feel the same way a lot of the posters feel about this. Gotta love a guy that is given opportunity and rises to the occasion. It's great too see. Going back, there were so many cases like this. I remember Ryan Callahan once sitting out of practice one training camp as he was about to get sent back to the Wolfpack. Online at the time fans were saying he's too small to do it in this league. Or he was an overage payer that's why he had success in Jrs etc. He later on got his chance. He's now the captain! I love watching the players that can advance through the system because they are the guys who fought through the trenches to make it here. I hope Ferriero kicks some ass and takes some names.

Switching back to Rupper. There's a kid in Hartford who's of similar size. Probably skates as well as Rupp. Can throw with just about anyone. And lastly is still a very young man. Maybe Mashinter can continue to develop his game in the AHL and become Mike Rupps replacement with the big club. Judging strictly from Beacons scouting reports he sounds like he's on the right path.

Mashinter already fought Reaves of the Blues 2 years ago Ferriero and Mashinter has played on the same line for the Sharks.. i hope they bring up Mashinter, maybe he can be a Mike Rupp/Chris Neil type.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I liked Rupp when he was with the Devils.

I liked Rupp when he played for the Danbury Trashers during lockout #2.

I liked Rupp when he was with the Pens.

I was thrilled when we signed him.

But....he is not the player he was then. That Rupp had some skill and was a valuable member of the team. Now, because of age or injuries he has lost a lot of what made him a good hockey player. Now, he is only good for fighting and he is a terrible fighter. Whenever he fights we lose momentum instead of gaining it.

I know he's probably good in the locker room and his physical presence is welcomed by his teammates when he is on the ice.

But, his time as a Ranger is coming to a close. Don't blame or dislike him for any of this. It just is what it is.

Agreed on all counts. Fighter/Physical players only have a certain number of fights/years in the tank. I think Rupp is past his expiration date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad