Waived: Ben Smith on waivers

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Dude never got a fair shake here, but losing Ben Smith isn't the end of the world

I think Ben Smith was done in SJ as soon as Zubrus signed and no, it's unlikely to make any kind of impact on the roster as Smith wasn't going play much, if at all.

That said, it still bothers me that this org values a guy like Brown over a guy like Smith.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I'm sad because Smith didn't even have a good chance to be our 4th line center. And I really hope Zubrus isn't going to be our #4C now. I hope some team claims him because he is NHL-player. And hopefully this is some move by DW to free capspace to do some trades.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Just confirming that waiving Smith was to open a spot for Zubrus:

Paul Gackle @GackleReport
Zubrus says he'll be ready to go for #SJSharks tomorrow

He's likely to draw in tomorrow night on the 4th line at wing, likely with Tierney & Karlsson putting Brown in the press box.

Last edited:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Hopefully we go with

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Ward
Nieto - Tierney - Donskoi
Karlsson - Zubrus - Wingels

After how successful that third line was last game.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
9-50-68 isn't a bad 4th line, but it's crummy to have all this dead cap space tied up in bottom sixers we're not even using

Smith, Torres, Burish buyout, it adds up

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
He may still be having problems from the head injury. If so, it makes sense to bury his contract in the AHL. It saves all but 100k of his contract, and the Sharks can bank that $950k.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He may still be having problems from the head injury. If so, it makes sense to bury his contract in the AHL. It saves all but 100k of his contract, and the Sharks can bank that $950k.

Smith makes 1.5 million. The sharks will still be on the hook cap wise for 550k.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Smith makes 1.5 million. The sharks will still be on the hook cap wise for 550k.

You're right; I used the wrong number. But they're still on the hook for $950k less in bankable cap space, so it's better cap wise than if he stayed in the NHL.

ETA:

I do too but I can't imagine a team taking him on considering how little he's played, injury issues and his cap hit.

It's really too bad.

I agree. I like Smith. It's too bad about the injuries.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
DeBoer talking about the decision to waive him mentions the injury early in the season so he was a step behind everyone...

... This is the same coach that will probably play Torres....

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
DeBoer talking about the decision to waive him mentions the injury early in the season so he was a step behind everyone...

... This is the same coach that will probably play Torres....

Doubt that. Raffi is done. I'd guess the Sharks would like to use his LTIR space for a deadline acquisition, like Chicago did with Kane's injury last season.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Just confirming that waiving Smith was to open a spot for Zubrus:

He's likely to draw in tomorrow night on the 4th line at wing, likely with Tierney & Karlsson putting Brown in the press box.

Then waive Zubrus. He's washed up, too slow for the NHL. At least he keeps out of trouble most of the time. DeBoer has no excuse playing Zubrus on the top line over several other more capable wingers.

No wonder why Marleau wants out.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
It's kind of sad. He was supposed to be a potential improvement on Desi on the fourth line. I was super sad to see Desijardins go, but happy he won the Cup, and interested to see how Smith would do this year. Hate to see it end like this because of a head injury.

Hopefully he gets claimed, heals up, and bounces back (but never does well against the Sharks).

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Then waive Zubrus. He's washed up, too slow for the NHL. At least he keeps out of trouble most of the time. DeBoer has no excuse playing Zubrus on the top line over several other more capable wingers.

He's played fine. I doubt he's on the first line no that some players are healthy again.

No wonder why Marleau wants out.

That's one

That%E2%80%99s-One-Long-Jump.gif

You've made.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I hope he gets claimed for his sake.

And I hope that too. Like I said I think he is solid NHL-player. If anyone is not going to claim him it sucks because he isn't playing on the NHL where he deserves to be. His contract might be a small problem to some teams but I think there are teams that really could use him. Also if he is not going to get claimed his part of contract is still against our cap but mainly I hope he gets claimed because he deserves to be at the NHL level.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Can't help but feel bad for the guy.

Traded in the midst of what looks to be one of the most dominant dynasties in modern NHL history and then doesn't even get a real shot at cracking the team here in SJ.

Good luck to him.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I really like Desi and hoped Smith would be an upgrade. Can't remember him doing anything. At least Burish was a running joke.

So did Smith join a rock band instead?

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
Would've rather kept Desi. The only thing I remember about Smith was him scoring his first game with us. Hope someone claims him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad